'01 (and '02?) Applications - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
cbr
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default '01 (and '02?) Applications

I'm new to this and, having installed an FM II (w/2560) turbo in my 2001, now need to install the electronics.

I am considering Adaptronic and would like to know experience of those who have installed on '01 or '02. Major issues? How does it perform once sorted out? How well does VVT control work?

Thx
cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
jeff_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,056
Total Cats: 103
Default

Travis's support is more then worth the try. y9s is at ~300hp on his 02 car.
jeff_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

you've added some numbers there.

y8s is at 250-260 whp on his 01 car.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
jeff_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,056
Total Cats: 103
Default

i'm not less impressed by you =D
jeff_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

I have the Adaptronic installed on my 2002 SE with BEGi 2554 kit, IC, and 600 injectors....

So far still have not been happy with my tune, still get stumbling under accel tho it is getting better now. Have no clue on how to tell whether or not the VVT is actually working or if I am better off pulling the plug on the actuator

I suppose that I really need someone that knows more about these cars to look at mine since it's safe to say that I'm over my head!

Anyhow, there is a CEL present with the e420c with adapter board if installed per the instructions. Dunno if anyone here has figured out how to kill this issue; but something to be aware of. (does not bother me but I know that some people hate CELs.)

Surely not unhappy with this system and setup... I just need time to sort it out and visit a dyno. It's not quite as P&P and I was expecting; but that's really because it is soo new on the market. This time next year I think that the users will go up many fold and there will be plenty of maps to use. Till then, it's a little touch and go sometimes.

BUT I WOULD BUY IT AGAIN!

Cheers,
Matt
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
I have the Adaptronic installed on my 2002 SE with BEGi 2554 kit, IC, and 600 injectors....

So far still have not been happy with my tune, still get stumbling under accel tho it is getting better now. Have no clue on how to tell whether or not the VVT is actually working or if I am better off pulling the plug on the actuator

I suppose that I really need someone that knows more about these cars to look at mine since it's safe to say that I'm over my head!

Anyhow, there is a CEL present with the e420c with adapter board if installed per the instructions. Dunno if anyone here has figured out how to kill this issue; but something to be aware of. (does not bother me but I know that some people hate CELs.)

Surely not unhappy with this system and setup... I just need time to sort it out and visit a dyno. It's not quite as P&P and I was expecting; but that's really because it is soo new on the market. This time next year I think that the users will go up many fold and there will be plenty of maps to use. Till then, it's a little touch and go sometimes.

BUT I WOULD BUY IT AGAIN!

Cheers,
Matt
Ahh HA!!! In a moment of goodness... I must retract my previous statement about the stumbling! I finally figured it out this afternoon while cleaning out the garage. :( DOH! I never installed my new plugs in the car! Pulled the old plugs and I think they are the original 60k mile plugs... so installed new and colder plugs this afternoon and behold all problems are gone!

So in a full retraction of my bitching about issues and hard to tune... I take it all back! This Adaptronic is now smooth as glass with new plugs and some lightening of the fuel.

Gonna go for a drive now and then go home and install the Roll Bar...

Cheers,
Matt
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default Which kind of plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Ahh HA!!! In a moment of goodness... I must retract my previous statement about the stumbling! I finally figured it out this afternoon while cleaning out the garage. :( DOH! I never installed my new plugs in the car! Pulled the old plugs and I think they are the original 60k mile plugs... so installed new and colder plugs this afternoon and behold all problems are gone!

So in a full retraction of my bitching about issues and hard to tune... I take it all back! This Adaptronic is now smooth as glass with new plugs and some lightening of the fuel.

Gonna go for a drive now and then go home and install the Roll Bar...

Cheers,
Matt
What kind of plugs worked best for you? I'd upgraded to NGK BKR6E-11s about 6 months before I did my install; re-gapped them per the FM directions, and seem to be getting good results out of them.

Another thing to double-check & correct is the connector on the coil side of your plug wires. I'd installed a set of Magnecor wires, and discovered that I needed to gently bend the connector fingers on the coil sides out a bit to make a better connection.

Good luck with the roll-bar. My Hard Dog Deuce install worked out well in the end, but it took about four times as long as anyone who does these seems to think it should.

best, --Paul
BaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 703
Total Cats: 0
Default

Prospero Matt,

Could you post your transient throttle settings?

Thanks
pschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,583
Total Cats: 8
Default

Schmidt,

Have you switched over to the new software/firmware with predictive MAP mode? It fixes all. A predictive MAP tutorial is on my to do list 100% tomorrow. THe COP systems have kept me buried away from actually doing it. Once that tutorial is out there will not be any more tip in problems I can assure you.
TravisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 703
Total Cats: 0
Default

I haven't switched yet. I don't get home from work until after dark, and my neighbors surely won't appreciate me gathering the required values for the predictive mode in my driveway
If you have an easy method I'd greatly appreciate it. Most of my transient throttle is dialed in, but when I barely crack the throttle the AFR goes super lean, making balancing the car mid-corner a scary proposition.
pschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

Pat,

I'm on vacation in NC right now and gonna try to mess with the new software features too. For the past week this is the map I have been running. It's not perfect by any means but is an okay place to start...

Good luck and cheers,
[email protected] 09062009.zip
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronT View Post
What kind of plugs worked best for you? I'd upgraded to NGK BKR6E-11s about 6 months before I did my install; re-gapped them per the FM directions, and seem to be getting good results out of them.

Another thing to double-check & correct is the connector on the coil side of your plug wires. I'd installed a set of Magnecor wires, and discovered that I needed to gently bend the connector fingers on the coil sides out a bit to make a better connection.

Good luck with the roll-bar. My Hard Dog Deuce install worked out well in the end, but it took about four times as long as anyone who does these seems to think it should.

best, --Paul
Paul... yep the BKR6E plugs were perfect at .35 gap... made all the difference in the world!

As for the roll bar, the install would have been super smooth had it not rained or if my garage was wide enough to let me work on the car with both doors open! Garage is kinda small but gets the job done in the end; though it added time to the install since I was constantly moving **** around.

Cheers,
Prospero
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR View Post
Schmidt,

Have you switched over to the new software/firmware with predictive MAP mode? It fixes all. A predictive MAP tutorial is on my to do list 100% tomorrow. THe COP systems have kept me buried away from actually doing it. Once that tutorial is out there will not be any more tip in problems I can assure you.
Travis,

Any word on this tutorial? I am gonna give it a shot today if you can point me in the right direction

Cheers,
[email protected]
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software/IT types/Joe P, step inside please z31maniac Insert BS here 13 09-22-2015 03:59 PM
Software Installation Aussie Driver Useful Saved Posts 17 07-01-2011 03:18 PM
Barebone computer buildup mazda/nissan Insert BS here 27 10-26-2007 07:25 PM
KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks 110 Shipped Like New gonzoe91na Miata parts for sale/trade 4 06-05-2007 03:27 PM
Is the SMT6 comparable to the Emanage Blue/Emu/MS? Mex Prefabbed Turbo Kits 1 09-28-2006 05:15 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 PM.