The Conservative Mantra - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default The Conservative Mantra

http://nymag.com/news/politics/conse...-frum-2011-11/

opcorn: I expect your dramatic and amazing response to this, Brainy.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Hey, look, another article buy a guy who calls himself a conservative and wants a tax increase on "$250k billionaire households" to get a <$1t revenue increase as an answer to a $14t deficit. He also makes it clear that he's a conservative which has no like any conservative president in the last 30-years. So, basically, this article is either a forgery or this dude is not really a conservative. Don't worry, you'll get your leftist GOP candidate, go ahead and hide your booze and caffeine.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

I'm sorry, this guys seems to be confused as to what it means to be conservative.

:ignore:
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
I'm sorry, this guys seems to be confused as to what it means to be conservative.

:ignore:
Konservative Karl is not "conservative", nor does he love America. He is punch-drunk on regulation and telling people how much they don't know about respirating oxygen and how it affects the kommune.

Mr. Blaen99,
When your party comes to terms with its spending, I may come back. Until then your leaders can go back to "Ricking" OWS and concepts of income inequality and the pedal spacing in my cars.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

From the article:

Quote:
Any serious move to balance the budget, or even just reduce the deficit a little, must inevitably cut programs conservative voters do like: Medicare for current beneficiaries, farm subsidies, veterans’ benefits, and big tax loopholes like the mortgage-interest deduction and employer-provided health benefits.
lul what?

Conservative voters are in favor of farm subsidies and tax loopholes?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
lul what?

Conservative voters are in favor of farm subsidies and tax loopholes?
It all has to do with how you define "conservative voters" and "tax loopholes." Plenty of Republicans support things like mortgage interest deductions. I would think most "conservatives" would favor eliminating that deduction in exchange for a lower marginal income tax rate.

A voter can be Republican and conservative but they are not synonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Hey, look, another article buy a guy who calls himself a conservative and wants a tax increase on "$250k billionaire households" to get a <$1t revenue increase as an answer to a $14t deficit. He also makes it clear that he's a conservative which has no like any conservative president in the last 30-years. So, basically, this article is either a forgery or this dude is not really a conservative. Don't worry, you'll get your leftist GOP candidate, go ahead and hide your booze and caffeine.
I have not read this author's other works so I am responding only to the linked article. It goes back to how you define "conservative." I see he worked for GW Bush and voted for McCain in '08. You can argue neither were conservatives, I guess.

I don't see where he says he wants to increase taxes on "$250k billionaire households." What are your objections to his specific points?
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
I don't see where he says he wants to increase taxes on "$250k billionaire households." What are your objections to his specific points?

Because it's pointless, where this is not:



Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

I see your chart and raise you.

In addition to the differences in the balance of trade between the US and Canada, the recessions of the early '90s and the most recent one have significant differences.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Canada Balance of Trade.bmp (820.4 KB, 41 views)
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
It all has to do with how you define "conservative voters" and "tax loopholes." Plenty of Republicans support things like mortgage interest deductions. I would think most "conservatives" would favor eliminating that deduction in exchange for a lower marginal income tax rate.

A voter can be Republican and conservative but they are not synonymous.



I have not read this author's other works so I am responding only to the linked article. It goes back to how you define "conservative." I see he worked for GW Bush and voted for McCain in '08. You can argue neither were conservatives, I guess.

I don't see where he says he wants to increase taxes on "$250k billionaire households." What are your objections to his specific points?
He suggests that Bush was an icon of conservatism and berates the party for supporting him. The guy who expanded medicare, government, and bankrolling his buddies' corporations in 2009 is not my definition of a prime example of what I believe in.

He suggests the Tea Party is a "movement of radicalism" on page 2.

On page 5 he chastizes Capitol Hill for filibustering, a tool in place for a reason. Believe it or not, the President is responsible for nominating appointees who are centrists, someone so reasonable that both sides will consider.

Then, he telsl us, "Rather than workable solutions, my party is offering low taxes for the currently rich and high spending for the currently old, to be followed by who-knows-what and who-the-hell-cares. This isnít conservatism; itís a going-out-of-business sale for the baby-boom generation." The reasonable "conservative" will differentiate between the dual income $125k household and Obama-friendly GE CEO Immelt who's corporation paid how much in taxes over the last decade? Does he hold the same contempt for a PhD household as a the real millionaires, specifically the ones with millions of Dollars? Does he believe the earnings of a family should be confiscated when the patriarch expires? This is why I call him a Marxist, and why I'm right. His "...it's a going-out-of-business-sale for the baby-boom generation" statement is accurate, yet he believes that irresponsible spending can/should be rationalized by increasing taxes on a mis-named tax bracket.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
I see your chart and raise you.

In addition to the differences in the balance of trade between the US and Canada, the recessions of the early '90s and the most recent one have significant differences.
GDP is positive for both nations, we are not in a recession.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
GDP is positive for both nations, we are not in a recession.
Ask your girl about Richard Koo and his work at Nomura. If she doesn't know who he is, buy her his book for Santa Day and be a hero.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I like Richard Koo, not sure about the GF but we've talked about it. I don't get into the weeds about it and "balance sheet recession", I stick to the political side because I'm not educated in economics and a bit infantile on the subject...I do my best to refrain from preaching her teachings.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I like Richard Koo, not sure about the GF but we've talked about it. I don't get into the weeds about it and "balance sheet recession", I stick to the political side because I'm not educated in economics and a bit infantile on the subject...I do my best to refrain from preaching her teachings.
One could argue he is still a little too focused on "neo-classical" paradigms but I think his perception of the balance sheet recession (and the failures of monetary policy) are pretty helpful.


I am supposed to be avoiding political advocacy and focusing on political forecasting because I find the former to be largely useless and the latter potentially beneficial.


So... there's that.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Came for the hustler, died laughing of being accused of a leftist. Thanks for the lulz Hustler!
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
Came for the hustler, died laughing of being accused of a leftist. Thanks for the lulz Hustler!
Social leftiest, extreme fiscal conservative. Atheism, prochoice, pro gun, flat tax, foreigner hating satanist.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

you forgot miata driving homo.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
you forgot miata driving homo.
Aww Brainy, aren't we all? <3
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

yep.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete BEGI S3 NB Kit, Full Enthuza 3" Exhaust, ACT HD Clutch, MS2 PNP, Wideband kronikker Miata parts for sale/trade 17 10-06-2015 11:18 PM
ultra conservative above 15psi miatauser884 MEGAsquirt 13 04-12-2011 02:36 PM
Need some conservative Spark, VE and AFR table for a boosted 94 1.8L stock engine redrider706 MEGAsquirt 0 01-17-2010 05:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 PM.