Injectors that can handle 300 psi - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Deatschwerks - Miata Accessories DeatschWerks injectors are balanced to flow within 2% variance for higher and safer power, smoother idle, and easier tuning.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default Injectors that can handle 300 psi

I understand that you test injectors to 100 psi as a part of servicing. Are there any Miata or miata-sized injectors that will handle 300 psi? Is it common for injectors to be able to work at that pressure but just aren't tested there because fuel systems don't operate up there so it's pointless to check it?

I am looking at adding liquid propane injection as a second set of injectors in the manifold and I need the injectors to be able to function at 300 psi working pressure. Liquid to gas transition pressure is 174 psi at 70*F, up to 250-ish pressure at high ambient temps so some companies that produce kits pressurize to 300 psi as they know they are safe and it won't go to gas in the lines regardless of ambient temperature.

The second set would be run by the second map in Megasquirt so I will have both gasoline and propane as options at any time by switching maps.

Also, due to the higher pressure, I wouldn't need anything larger than a 250-300cc injector in a turbo application so a set of stock Miata injectors would be perfect. Any chance they will hold and function at 300 psi?
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
I understand that you test injectors to 100 psi as a part of servicing. Are there any Miata or miata-sized injectors that will handle 300 psi? Is it common for injectors to be able to work at that pressure but just aren't tested there because fuel systems don't operate up there so it's pointless to check it?

I am looking at adding liquid propane injection as a second set of injectors in the manifold and I need the injectors to be able to function at 300 psi working pressure. Liquid to gas transition pressure is 174 psi at 70*F, up to 250-ish pressure at high ambient temps so some companies that produce kits pressurize to 300 psi as they know they are safe and it won't go to gas in the lines regardless of ambient temperature.

The second set would be run by the second map in Megasquirt so I will have both gasoline and propane as options at any time by switching maps.

Also, due to the higher pressure, I wouldn't need anything larger than a 250-300cc injector in a turbo application so a set of stock Miata injectors would be perfect. Any chance they will hold and function at 300 psi?
Direct injection (diesel & petrol) injectors run at the 1000's of PSI.
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

I understand that, but I didn't know what, if anything, was different. The kits that I have read about say they use "standard automotive injectors" but I wasn't sure if that meant certain types or styles or brands or if any injectors will handle that rate.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maumelle, AR
Posts: 618
Total Cats: 2
Default

I was kinda half-assed looking into this recently... All I was really able to find was that rc injectors has some injectors rated for gaseous injection (not what you're talking about, I know...) And they're lo-z and look almost exactly like old school bosch injectors. They're all just solenoids, I would think the biggest issue you'd have at 300psi might be injector o-rings, and/or inconsistent opening/closing times.

That said, stock injectors are cheap, rig you up a test station and see what happens. Worst case you're out a few bucks and it'd be an entertaining thread for the rest of us to read


http://www.rceng.com/Peak-Hold-Injec...tor-P19C5.aspx
ianferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 885
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianferrell View Post
That said, stock injectors are cheap, rig you up a test station and see what happens. Worst case you're out a few bucks and it'd be an entertaining thread for the rest of us to read
This gets my vote, obviously. (but if you do it, stand behind a blast shield, as the injectors are likely to blow apart. film would be required, but we don't want you getting hurt )



But in all seriousness, a buddy of mine used to run a 650whp vr4 with propane. I'll drop him a line today and ask how he had it set up.
devin mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin mac View Post
But in all seriousness, a buddy of mine used to run a 650whp vr4 with propane. I'll drop him a line today and ask how he had it set up.
Thanks

The charge cooling benefit from the phase change would be huge on a turbo car. I wouldn't be surprised to see 40* drop in IAT. Not to mention the fuel consumption goes up 10% but I have a 500 gallon tank of the stuff at all times at home and it's $1.69 a gallon so a very large decrease in cost per mile.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 885
Total Cats: 2
Default

Yeah, on his car it was a pretty massive difference in power when the BBQ grill tank in the trunk was full versus empty. :-)
devin mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Former Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 395
Total Cats: 4
Default

2 concerns I'd have without consulting the brain trust here at DW.

O-rings/seals being able to maintain that pressure and the injector coils being able to overcome the resistance from those kinds of pressure.

I don't even know if we have a rig here that would be able to test at pressures that high, be it gas or liquid.
Deatschwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Former Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 395
Total Cats: 4
Default

Now, we do have a new to DW injector that we just released a comple weeks ago that start out life as a Natural Gas injector. They are quite big, flowing 2200cc/min of fuel, but they do have excellent low pulse-width characteristics.
Deatschwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 04:23 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 AM.