Can Someone ID This Turbo - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 1,990
Total Cats: 9
Default Can Someone ID This Turbo

Name:  2831311827_e2e5ba8fd8.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  53.7 KB
Name:  2831311521_9e89d8ecc1.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  54.3 KB
Name:  2831310525_1806247c87.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  53.8 KB
Name:  2831310117_a3b4c23136.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  44.5 KB
kenzo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 3,778
Total Cats: 35
Default

Seems to be off of a Volvo...

http://www.thevolvosite.com/240/volv...omponents.html

p/n 5003631
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

looks like a T3 with a small compressor wheel, probably 45 trim.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 159
Total Cats: 0
Default

can we see a picture of the inlet to the turbine? I was going to say that it looks like a t3 from a volvo or a saab. if it's from a saab it would most likely have a twin scroll setup. so the inlet of the hot side would be split in two about half an inch inside of the flange.
dynokiller90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Charlotte nc
Posts: 18
Total Cats: 0
Default

Looks like a TB03 I have one from a 740 turbo Volvo almost 100%
Frunza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynokiller90 View Post
can we see a picture of the inlet to the turbine? I was going to say that it looks like a t3 from a volvo or a saab. if it's from a saab it would most likely have a twin scroll setup. so the inlet of the hot side would be split in two about half an inch inside of the flange.
Show me where a stock Saab ever had a "twin scroll" turbo from the factory, do you even know what you are talking about?
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 159
Total Cats: 0
Default

whoa there big fella. just because I'm kind of a newb around here doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I appreciate your concern though. every saab that I have ever taken a turbo off of has had a twin scroll. now granted it's probably been less than ten, but I stand buy it. Also a quick google search will turn up numerous results of said history including the Saab turbo X. they have also done some other cool things with turbos like "smart" variable boost control
dynokiller90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #8
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 250
Total Cats: 3
Default

zoom2zoom=

1up for the newb who knows some s#!t - dynokilla90
ogwazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynokiller90 View Post
whoa there big fella. just because I'm kind of a newb around here doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I appreciate your concern though. every saab that I have ever taken a turbo off of has had a twin scroll. now granted it's probably been less than ten, but I stand buy it. Also a quick google search will turn up numerous results of said history including the Saab turbo X. they have also done some other cool things with turbos like "smart" variable boost control
Woah now...



Thats off a 2001 Saab 9-3 Sport IIRC. Bought it from my work in 2002 when I worked for a SAAB dealership. One of the service writers misdiagnosed a customers car and had the turbocharger replaced when it was actually a bad engine... I got the remanufactured unit for next to nothing which had 10 miles on it. Had a tiny *** like 30 trim compressor when I bought it, replaced with the massiveness of that T4.

I agree to a point both ways, though its been a long time since I've worked on those Sweedish pieces of ****.. I do know it went both ways back in the 80s and 90s with single and twin scroll. Most of the newer 08+ models especially with 6 cylinders use twin scroll.

Saab | History and Background - Born From Jets
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:44 AM   #10
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynokiller90 View Post
whoa there big fella. just because I'm kind of a newb around here doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I appreciate your concern though. every saab that I have ever taken a turbo off of has had a twin scroll. now granted it's probably been less than ten, but I stand buy it. Also a quick google search will turn up numerous results of said history including the Saab turbo X. they have also done some other cool things with turbos like "smart" variable boost control
Feel free to post pictures of a stock Saab t3 turbocharger from a salvage yard car that has a "twin scroll" turbine inlet. Go ahead, please prove me wrong.
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:08 AM   #11
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Woah now...



Thats off a 2001 Saab 9-3 Sport IIRC. Bought it from my work in 2002 when I worked for a SAAB dealership. One of the service writers misdiagnosed a customers car and had the turbocharger replaced when it was actually a bad engine... I got the remanufactured unit for next to nothing which had 10 miles on it. Had a tiny *** like 30 trim compressor when I bought it, replaced with the massiveness of that T4.

I agree to a point both ways, though its been a long time since I've worked on those Sweedish pieces of ****.. I do know it went both ways back in the 80s and 90s with single and twin scroll. Most of the newer 08+ models especially with 6 cylinders use twin scroll.

Saab | History and Background - Born From Jets
Didn't the base 9-3 use a gt1752s and the Sport/Viggen had the td04HL-15t? But we are talking about a t3, so it's irrelevant.
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynokiller90 View Post
whoa there big fella. just because I'm kind of a newb around here doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I appreciate your concern though. every saab that I have ever taken a turbo off of has had a twin scroll. now granted it's probably been less than ten, but I stand buy it. Also a quick google search will turn up numerous results of said history including the Saab turbo X. they have also done some other cool things with turbos like "smart" variable boost control

So because the late model turbo X came with a twin scroll turbo (not specifically a t3), all early model Saab turboz must in fact be a twin scroll? I love assumptions.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
So because the late model turbo X came with a twin scroll turbo (not specifically a t3), all early model Saab turboz must in fact be a twin scroll? I love assumptions.
A good assumption is if its got the V6, then yes. Cause they do.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 159
Total Cats: 0
Default

ok zoom, I'm not going to get into some internet pissing match with you. I simply saw a turbo that somebody was trying to ID and thought it looked like a particular twin scroll turbo I took off of a Saab from a salvage yard. I don't recall what model it was, since it was at least 4 years ago. rest assured though that it was a twin scroll along with every other that I have seen on a Saab. I made no assumption that all Saabs have twin scrolls, only those that I have pulled turbos from, and and they had the t-3 flange. They had this goofy asymetrical exhaust manifold that put the turbo low and to the right front of the engine. If I had one of the turbos still I would snap a shot for you, but two moves and a few projects later they are no longer in my shop. I'm sorry if you got all butt hurt by it dude, but it's just the internet, and I have no beef with you. so lets all just have a Coke and a smile and move on.
dynokiller90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

I have pulled over 40 turbos off of Saab and Volvo cars and am yet to see a standard flange t3 with a "twin scroll" turbine inlet. There are some with an elongated or offset flange, but none I have seen with a standard t3 footprint.
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 159
Total Cats: 0
Default

um . . .ok. so you've had different experiences than I. and it is possible that I saw an elongated t3 flange. Like I said it was a few years ago. this is also why I asked to see a pic of the turbine flange. just putting my experiences out there. even if it's anecdotal it's still usefull. as I said before I'm not interested in some wierd internet pissing match.

so good times. and to the OP are you trying to find parts to rebuild or what?
dynokiller90 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.