DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flange anyone?

 
Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roselle, Illinois
Posts: 849
Total Cats: -34
Default flange anyone?

Ok i just orderded my BP manifold today, and the welder needs a good exhaust flange. i used the search feature and came up with

http://weirtech.ca/
which has mild steel 3/8 flange

http://www.etdracing.com/flanges.html
mild steel but no idea on thickniess?? any one know??

and
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/mx5bp.html
i was told to stay away from there flange poor round to oval design.

is there any other componys who make flanges? has anyone had any experience with them? the welder wants a 1/2 flange and i think he said it would be better in mild any opinions?

Thanks
Hot_Wheels is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 AM
  #2  
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,850
Total Cats: 8
Default

just stick with wier, you'll be fine with 3/8's
ask the welder to brace the flange, maybe bolt it down to your stock manifold while welding, and have him weld short 1'' lines at a time and you don't have to worry about warping
Zabac is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM
  #3  
Hear me Meow
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 2,006
Total Cats: 18
Default

For some reason I'm having a similar issue. For a mild flange I'd recommend Wier. Good guy, and he'll take care of you. I just wish my welder would agree to use a mild flange.
skidude is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 375
Total Cats: 43
Default

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
Ok i just orderded my BP manifold today, and the welder needs a good exhaust flange. i used the search feature and came up with

http://weirtech.ca/
which has mild steel 3/8 flange

http://www.etdracing.com/flanges.html
mild steel but no idea on thickniess?? any one know??

and
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/mx5bp.html
i was told to stay away from there flange poor round to oval design.

is there any other componys who make flanges? has anyone had any experience with them? the welder wants a 1/2 flange and i think he said it would be better in mild any opinions?

Thanks
Edit: I missed that the OP is looking for a BP flange. This is a B6 flange. I'll leave it here for future reference.

Full-race.com

Head flange for 92-93 Mazda Miata motors. Laser cut from 1/2" 1018 Mild Steel. $50.00


Last edited by JKav; 09-09-2008 at 06:10 PM.
JKav is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Head Wound City, CT
Posts: 215
Total Cats: 0
Default

Uh, you do know the difference between the B6 and the BP, right?
MattEGTR is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 06:08 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 375
Total Cats: 43
Default

No, I've never heard of either of them.

I missed the BP part.
JKav is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
  #7  
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,208
Total Cats: 514
Default

my ETD manifold has a 1/2" flange. presumably their flanges are also 1/2".

http://jgsturbo.com/index2.html has half inch flanges. $78.50
y8s is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
  #8  
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,850
Total Cats: 8
Default

Maybe you can get Aaron (wier) to make a one of 1/2" if thats big of a deal.
Or just use the 3/8".
Zabac is offline  
Old 09-10-2008, 02:07 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roselle, Illinois
Posts: 849
Total Cats: -34
Default

doe doe doe people on other boards where saying "3/8 is more then enoguh" i rather go thicker to, i did order the weir one today but maybe ill odred the etd if i can verify that it is a 1/2 in i rather have thicker neukin is building my manifold.
Hot_Wheels is offline  
Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 AM
  #10  
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,617
Total Cats: 286
Default

To the OP: Go with the Weir for flanges.

Originally Posted by skidude108 View Post
For some reason I'm having a similar issue. For a mild flange I'd recommend Wier. Good guy, and he'll take care of you. I just wish my welder would agree to use a mild flange.
I will weld a mild steel flange to your stainless primaries.
TurboTim is offline  
Old 09-10-2008, 08:18 AM
  #11  
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,617
Total Cats: 286
Default

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
doe doe doe people on other boards where saying "3/8 is more then enoguh" i rather go thicker to, i did order the weir one today but maybe ill odred the etd if i can verify that it is a 1/2 in i rather have thicker neukin is building my manifold.
The way I sometimes think about it (maybe incorrectly) is that the thinner 3/8 flange is closer in cross section to the pipe you are welding to it, so you have more even penetration of the weld, and it's just easier to weld if you're new at it.
TurboTim is offline  
Old 09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roselle, Illinois
Posts: 849
Total Cats: -34
Default

ok i called etd today and at first the guy said there 3/8 and i asked him to check (he wasnt happy) but it turns out the b6 is 3/8 and the bp is 1/2!! so i ordered that one so now i will have the weir one as a paper weight and the etd for te manifold
Hot_Wheels is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
StratoBlue1109
Miata parts for sale/trade
21
09-30-2018 01:09 PM
FAB
Prefabbed Turbo Kits
216
03-22-2017 04:00 PM
Corky Bell
Prefabbed Turbo Kits
18
11-22-2016 09:01 PM
JesseTheNoob
WTB
4
09-11-2015 01:25 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: flange anyone?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.