I want 300 HP, opinions on my component list.. - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default I want 300 HP, opinions on my component list..

The car already has the built motor to handle enough boost to reach that goal no problem. It's currently running T-25 setup and that is all gonna go in order to reach the new goal. I don't want to talk about transmission's and rearends, i know more power can break them, worry about that when and if it comes.

Planned Components:
Manifold/3" DP and Exhaust/IC piping (Fab'd By Me, Over Rad IC Piping)
T3 Turbine platform. Want opinions on different turbos.
Megasquirt Fuel and Spark, wired in parallel with stock ECU.
550 cc injectors (Have from RX-7 cleaned, ready to go)
DO Alky Kit

I have read most everything, talked to people, and looked at compressor maps for different turbos. There are many turbos that are efficient enough to reach my goal of 300 HP and surpass it. What turbo(s) are going to be most efficient for this setup and why do you think so? Early spooling, or lower temps whatever reason you think one is better, fill me in with your experience or knowledge.
Will my stock fuel pump be enough with MS with 550s for 300 HP or will i need larger ones or a walbro, any thing like that.
Thanks guys.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
The car already has the built motor to handle enough boost to reach that goal no problem. It's currently running T-25 setup and that is all gonna go in order to reach the new goal. I don't want to talk about transmission's and rearends, i know more power can break them, worry about that when and if it comes.

Planned Components:
Manifold/3" DP and Exhaust/IC piping (Fab'd By Me, Over Rad IC Piping)
T3 Turbine platform. Want opinions on different turbos.
Megasquirt Fuel and Spark, wired in parallel with stock ECU.
550 cc injectors (Have from RX-7 cleaned, ready to go)
DO Alky Kit

I have read most everything, talked to people, and looked at compressor maps for different turbos. There are many turbos that are efficient enough to reach my goal of 300 HP and surpass it. What turbo(s) are going to be most efficient for this setup and why do you think so? Early spooling, or lower temps whatever reason you think one is better, fill me in with your experience or knowledge.
Will my stock fuel pump be enough with MS with 550s for 300 HP or will i need larger ones or a walbro, any thing like that.
Thanks guys.
If you are willing to drop a few clams on your turbo the GT3271 will get you there. If you are feeling cheap, then the same $200 cheap *** chinese turbo I run can take you there. Budget is going to be a primary driver.

Personally while 550's at 7000 RPM are capable of doing the job, you will be pushing them. Something larger would be nice, but raising the fuel pressure and using a walbro 255hp would address the injector issue.

So really, it's a matter of how much you want to spend on the turbo. The Precision SC-61 will make mad power, but does spool later.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VT
Posts: 939
Total Cats: 0
Default

Mark's Recipe works, so does Andy's, I would look at something along those lines.

Unless your thinking more?
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Mark are you and Andy running the same turbo when it comes down to A/R ratios. I know he has the real thing and you have the ghettocharger but is everything else similar?
Think his is GT3271 .78a/r hotside -- .50 a/r coldside.
They spool soon enough for my liking, I'm not the type to like boost by 2000 RPM anyway IMO that's just unnecessary. I'll be building a log mani this spring for the turbo and a $200 ghettocharger could be easily squeezed into the budget for that in order to have it all together by May maybe.
You say it would be pushing it with the 550s at 7000 RPM, would 750's be more along the lines of ideal or something around that size. I'll stick with the 550s for now cause they're cleaned and paid for, but knowledge is a great thing.

Jefe, I'll stick with 300 for now with the idea of building a system that would be able to produce more power with a turbo swap and more fuel.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

marks ghettocharger is a 57 trim garrett clone. Its not really comparable to the GT3271 but it seems that both turbos react about the same when it comes down to it. My turbo will spool a little sooner but wont make as much power after 7200 rpm since my compressor flows less than his. If I was you and I wanted a 300whp turbo that will hit full boost from 3500 to 4500 I would go with the GT3271....but thats just me
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Thanks for the input.
What's the max PSI for the GT3271 or HP ceiling you think we'd see on our built motors?
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:51 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
Thanks for the input.
What's the max PSI for the GT3271 or HP ceiling you think we'd see on our built motors?

24psi, 380whp
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Good lord that would be glorious.
What are you shooting for? After the manifold, what's next?
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tucson "it's 110" Arizona
Posts: 1,017
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
glorious..
Yer nuts
UofACATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
Good lord that would be glorious.
What are you shooting for? After the manifold, what's next?
I am pretty sure Im gonna run an EMU and use 550's and up the pressure to get enough fuel to the engine. I wont run over 21psi, so my goal is to make 350whp @ 21psi on stock cams. After that Im thinking of trying out a set of 264' cams to get another 15whp revving out to 7500 or so.
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,168
Total Cats: 0
Default

I thought you were going hydra? Thought about MS?
Al Hounos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Hounos View Post
I thought you were going hydra? Thought about MS?
I was gonna use a Hydra but I cant make up my mind.
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #13
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFloyd View Post
I was gonna use a Hydra but I cant make up my mind.
AEM. so much better. wish I could run one easily in my 01.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFloyd View Post
marks ghettocharger is a 57 trim garrett clone. Its not really comparable to the GT3271 but it seems that both turbos react about the same when it comes down to it. My turbo will spool a little sooner but wont make as much power after 7200 rpm since my compressor flows less than his. If I was you and I wanted a 300whp turbo that will hit full boost from 3500 to 4500 I would go with the GT3271....but thats just me
I will concur with Andy, he has the better turbo in many respects for the application. My $200 turbo was an experiment, a rather decent result for the $$$$ spent, but I'd rather have the GT3271.

Andy's .78 A/R turbine outspools my .63 A/R turbine.

This may change a bit as the boost gets turned up. I, like Andy, am shooting for about 350 RWHP.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
I will concur with Andy, he has the better turbo in many respects for the application. My $200 turbo was an experiment, a rather decent result for the $$$$ spent, but I'd rather have the GT3271.

Andy's .78 A/R turbine outspools my .63 A/R turbine.

This may change a bit as the boost gets turned up. I, like Andy, am shooting for about 350 RWHP.

Mark

First to 350whp wins
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFloyd View Post
First to 350whp wins
Since I am waiting on castings, I think you are gonna win.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
Since I am waiting on castings, I think you are gonna win.

Mark
I dont think I can hit 350whp on a stock ecu setup w/ fmu.....thats REALLY pushing it
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #18
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Come on, make it happen you're so close.

Why in the world would you choose EMU over the Hydra?
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
Come on, make it happen you're so close.

Why in the world would you choose EMU over the Hydra?
$$$$$
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,168
Total Cats: 0
Default

MS that ****!! $$$$ cheaper and much better than EMU.
Al Hounos is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
91 1.6l turbo complete part out. Tony the Tiger Miata parts for sale/trade 63 12-29-2016 03:23 AM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Bp/b6 Scat H beam rods Dparks7 Miata parts for sale/trade 1 09-28-2015 10:49 AM
Headphones PaperMate Insert BS here 32 09-25-2015 09:22 AM
Disconnect Coils when Updating FW DNMakinson MEGAsquirt 8 09-12-2015 09:26 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 AM.