DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSM turbo kit on my 02

 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 PM
  #1  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
levnubhin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,319
Total Cats: 8
Default MSM turbo kit on my 02

So I'm buying an MSM turbo, dp mani, fmic and 320 injectors. I plan to keep this setup as base as possible. Running just 6-7 psi with a fmic and premium gas would I be safe just using the Begi AFPR or do I need to do something with timing?
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by levnubhin; 01-08-2010 at 11:12 PM.
levnubhin is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 PM
  #2  
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,712
Total Cats: 3
Default

I think you're going to need to retard your base timing like with the greddy kit.
wayne_curr is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
  #3  
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,651
Total Cats: 111
Default

Are you going to install a fuel return line on the 02 from one of your part cars? You could do that and get an FM timing wheel to retard timing across the board.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but it would work.

You don't have any emissions there right? I'd have the stock computer ripped out already.
__________________
DIYAutoTune.com Tech Support
10AE-T|BEGi S4|MSPNP-Pro EMS|Enthuza Duals|6UL|Etc
Track Rat|2001|VVT|MS3-Pro EMS|Enthuza|Exocet in Progress

Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Buy an MSPNP Pro, you'll feel better.
Ben is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 PM
  #4  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
levnubhin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,319
Total Cats: 8
Default

Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Are you going to install a fuel return line on the 02 from one of your part cars? You could do that and get an FM timing wheel to retard timing across the board.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but it would work.

You don't have any emissions there right? I'd have the stock computer ripped out already.
No emissions here, but I want to keep this as simple as possible. The car is in NY where my dad drives it. I want to keep this plug and play, keep it at 6-7 psi. I know power cards aren't the popular choice, but could I run one of those and be ok with timing?

Edit: Power card and FM timing wheel?
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 PM
  #5  
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,651
Total Cats: 111
Default

The MSM turbine is pretty small (so it presents a pretty big restriction) and the car's fairly high compression. I wouldn't do it. The FM timing wheel is as easy as it comes.

I wouldn't touch the power card timing controller unless you can get it custom programmed. I think the only person who custom programs them is the yoyo man. So that sounds pretty fail boat to me.
__________________
DIYAutoTune.com Tech Support
10AE-T|BEGi S4|MSPNP-Pro EMS|Enthuza Duals|6UL|Etc
Track Rat|2001|VVT|MS3-Pro EMS|Enthuza|Exocet in Progress

Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Buy an MSPNP Pro, you'll feel better.
Ben is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Killen, AL, 35645
Posts: 752
Total Cats: 2
Default

I'm running a complete MSM turbo kit intercooled with factory charge pipes on my 1999 10th Anniversary.

There is a little bit of custom work involved with using a MSM turbo kit. Obviously the manifold works fine, you will either have to block the egr port on the intake and exhaust or use the 01-05 egr tubing to connect with the intake manifold. Second, you will have to run your own oil feed (90-95 have a quick tap below the header for your oil) and your own oil drain. Water lines are simply, but you will have to replace or shorten the waterpump inlet piece as the compressor inlet on the turbocharger will hit the factory waterpump inlet piece. The 04/05 MSM miatas have a custom waterpump inlet piece. Get it if you can!

These turbosystems are excellent for running around 200-220 horsepower. People bitch about the RBH-5 turbo because the overspool the **** out of them and they are small turbo built to run 6-10 psi, not 15-16 psi. With a factory intake and a voodoo card, running 93 octane with 4 degrees of timing retard, the car will make around 160-170 rwhp at 7.5-8 psi. Replace the factory intake and run a performance exhaust with MSM injectors, you'll put down 190 rwhp easy...

Best thing is the factory charge pipes bolt up perfectly, with just a little fabrication if you plan to run a bigger intercooler. Yeah just buy a used voodoo card and slot the factory timing wheel. You'll have no prob running 190 rwhp, given an FM intake and a less restrictive exhaust.

Lastly, did you know that the 99-2000, and possibly the 01-05's, downpipe will bolt up perfectly to the 04-05 cast turbo outlet. Allowing you to get by the heavily restrictive stock 04-05 MSM downpipe and allow you to run a more affordable aftermarket exhaust, such as a 2.5 inch 99-05 enthuza exhaust? That is what I am running and man it spools up so fast!

Last edited by Cody Strife; 01-08-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Cody Strife is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Killen, AL, 35645
Posts: 752
Total Cats: 2
Default

Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
No emissions here, but I want to keep this as simple as possible. The car is in NY where my dad drives it. I want to keep this plug and play, keep it at 6-7 psi. I know power cards aren't the popular choice, but could I run one of those and be ok with timing?

Edit: Power card and FM timing wheel?
For the love of god, don't run a 1st gen powercard. piece of **** with horrible transition on and off boost.

Voodoo cards are excellent little fuel devices that allow you to finelytune the 02 signal modifier and fuel curve, and with 4 degrees of timing retard through the 94-97 CAS or the 99-05 slotted timing wheel, you'll have a great little car with perfect drivability, reliability...
Cody Strife is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
  #8  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
levnubhin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,319
Total Cats: 8
Default

Originally Posted by Ben View Post
The MSM turbine is pretty small (so it presents a pretty big restriction) and the car's fairly high compression. I wouldn't do it. The FM timing wheel is as easy as it comes.

I wouldn't touch the power card timing controller unless you can get it custom programmed. I think the only person who custom programs them is the yoyo man. So that sounds pretty fail boat to me.

I didn't think the power card did anything with timing, just fuel? TDR's website description dosen't mention anything about timing.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
  #9  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
levnubhin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,319
Total Cats: 8
Default

Originally Posted by Cody Strife View Post
For the love of god, don't run a 1st gen powercard. piece of **** with horrible transition on and off boost.

Voodoo cards are excellent little fuel devices that allow you to finelytune the 02 signal modifier and fuel curve, and with 4 degrees of timing retard through the 94-97 CAS or the 99-05 slotted timing wheel, you'll have a great little car with perfect drivability, reliability...


Ok, so for a simple setup run the voodoo, any need for the FM timing wheel?

Thanks for the info on the water pump inlet.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 533
Total Cats: -1
Default

I ran the BEGi-S kit with an intercooler for over a year with no timing anything installed. Just ran the IK22 Denso plugs and kept my boost under 8 PSI with no problems.

You can get a away with it; but you'll have to be really careful in hot weather and whatnot.

When I could find it... I ran e85 in the summer. Generally ran 30% e85 on the really hot days for extra protecton...

Cheers,
Matt
Prospero is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 PM
  #11  
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,232
Total Cats: 3
Default

Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
Ok, so for a simple setup run the voodoo, any need for the FM timing wheel?


Why not a Bipes and O2 clamp?
Rafa is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 PM
  #12  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
levnubhin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,319
Total Cats: 8
Default

Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Why not a Bipes and O2 clamp?
I donno, does the bipes work well for NB's?
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline  
Old 01-22-2010, 10:12 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: maine
Posts: 221
Total Cats: -1
Default

if you want to keep it simple and have fuel and timing control just get a used emanage blue of ebay for $150 and run an fmu with that.
94blackmx5 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nbdooey
Miata parts for sale/trade
9
08-30-2017 09:50 PM
LucaCarMods
Build Threads
11
02-14-2016 06:13 AM
viriiguy
General Miata Chat
5
09-28-2015 07:39 PM
ihiryu
General Miata Chat
9
09-28-2015 10:22 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSM turbo kit on my 02


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.