Need help identifing a weird noise - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default Need help identifing a weird noise

As I am driving my car is making a weird sound, kind of sounds like the word yelp, but very high pitched. It seems to only be happening when I am accelerating "slow or fast". If I am in neutral or pressing in the clutch the sound goes away...I tried to search but I cannot find anything regarding this sound. It seems to be coming from the back of the block/drivers side area. Sorry for the crappy description, but thats all I can think of. Please help me out, and if you have any questions to help diagnose the situation please let me know.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Bad throwout bearing?
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
Bad throwout bearing?
That is what me and my dad thought, is there a way I can narrow it down? Such as if it occurs while I am decelerating by using the gears not brakes ?
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

When it's the throughout bearing, it will make a noise with the clutch out, and it goes away with the clutch in. If you apply pressure to the clutch pedal, but don't actually disenguage the clutch, and the noise stops, then that's the throughout bearing.

Some sounds are hard to diagnose by description, so a sound clip would help a lot if possible.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 AM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Found out that the noise is coming from the back of the turbo/downpipe...
The wastegate being opened or closed (manually pulling the wastegate) changed the pitch of the noise. It sounds like the turbine is hitting the housing... would that make sense that the pitch would change due to the wastegate status? I placed a screwdriver on the turbo and determined that the sound is coming from the back (shock to screwdriver was much more fierce in the back". Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default


Yeah, the turbine housing sounds like a kazoo when it's hitting the housing. This video is a great example. Thanks Scott for the video.

Go to gpopshop.com and buy a rebuild kit for your turbo. Then go into the forum archives on the main page and follow the T25 and T3 rebuild how-tos and do it yourself. Just remember, the nut on the compressor wheel is most likely reverse thread, you can tell by looking at the threads.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post

Go to gpopshop.com and buy a rebuild kit for your turbo. Then go into the forum archives on the main page and follow the T25 and T3 rebuild how-tos and do it yourself. Just remember, the nut on the compressor wheel is most likely reverse thread, you can tell by looking at the threads.
Could it be possible that I did not tighten the four bolts enough? I do not have a lot of shaft play on the compressor side, but I believe the turbine housing may not be pulled as close to the center as possible. I am @ work so I cannot see if what I am thinking is true, just wondering if there is validity to that situation and making the noise.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego to LA, CA
Posts: 297
Total Cats: 0
Default

Ryan, is this happening on the new turbo you just picked up?
91NApeewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91NApeewee View Post
Ryan, is this happening on the new turbo you just picked up?
yep, I disconnected the drain line and ran it for approximately 30 seconds and no oil came out. The feed line is bad somehow, after work today I plan to take off the Tee and see what is blocking it. Damn NB and its fake pressure gauge. I think that is the issue, hopefully nothing fried in the turbo because it was never really pushed or driven for more than 3 minutes... I felt the tee yesterday and I felt some oil, could it be that the tee is just not tight enought and maybe got a metal shaving blocking it from the tap process? I plan to drain the oil, take off the tee and feed line, clean them and start it back up...any suggestions? Am I correct to believe that my oil pump is still good due to the fact that I felt new oil on the tee/feed line connection?

Last edited by 99NBMia; 01-24-2008 at 11:43 AM.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NBMia View Post
Could it be possible that I did not tighten the four bolts enough? I do not have a lot of shaft play on the compressor side, but I believe the turbine housing may not be pulled as close to the center as possible. I am @ work so I cannot see if what I am thinking is true, just wondering if there is validity to that situation and making the noise.
It's possible, they would have to be aweful loose though. Turbo's have very tight clearances, if the housing isn't bolted perfect that could be the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99NBMia View Post
yep, I disconnected the drain line and ran it for approximately 30 seconds and no oil came out. The feed line is bad somehow, after work today I plan to take off the Tee and see what is blocking it. Damn NB and its fake pressure gauge. I think that is the issue, hopefully nothing fried in the turbo because it was never really pushed or driven for more than 3 minutes... I felt the tee yesterday and I felt some oil, could it be that the tee is just not tight enought and maybe got a metal shaving blocking it from the tap process? I plan to drain the oil, take off the tee and feed line, clean them and start it back up...any suggestions? Am I correct to believe that my oil pump is still good due to the fact that I felt new oil on the tee/feed line connection?
If your oil pump wasn't good your dummy guage would show it. When OP drops below like 10-15 psi, (not sure), the gauge will show a pressure drop. You can conver that gauge of yours so it show's real readings if you want. There is a couple writeups on miata.net.
What i did was prime my turbo with oil by hand, they only need a couple drops at idle so put some in by hand and disconnect the feed. Put it in a large cup or whatever you have and figure out why it's not squirting oil. Could be blocked, hard to say though from over here.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego to LA, CA
Posts: 297
Total Cats: 0
Default

so there was no oil in the feed line? or no oil in the turbo?

If the feed line has oil it could be that the inlet feed on the turbo is blocked somehow.

Other than the oil, did u get it all together now Ryan?
91NApeewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
It's possible, they would have to be aweful loose though. Turbo's have very tight clearances, if the housing isn't bolted perfect that could be the problem.


If your oil pump wasn't good your dummy guage would show it. When OP drops below like 10-15 psi, (not sure), the gauge will show a pressure drop. You can conver that gauge of yours so it show's real readings if you want. There is a couple writeups on miata.net.
What i did was prime my turbo with oil by hand, they only need a couple drops at idle so put some in by hand and disconnect the feed. Put it in a large cup or whatever you have and figure out why it's not squirting oil. Could be blocked, hard to say though from over here.
Thanks, I have seen the articles on m.net, but haven't got around to it yet. Glad to know its not a dead oil pump I think what happened was when I felt oil on the tee I screwed in the fitting a couple of turns "4 revolutions" I think the line probably got kinked...I should be able to see it today. I think my weird noise is attributed to the lack of oil as well seeing that it is right in the CHRA/turbine housing. Thanks for all the help...

Adam, there is no oil in the feed & or turbo... I think it is blocked @ the tee...
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 331
Total Cats: 0
Default

Feed line was indeed kinked...I pulled the line, unkinked it, now the car runs...horray.
99NBMia is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MS PNP requires reading and following directions??? satisfied MEGAsquirt 141 10-06-2015 11:44 AM
Bizarre connection issue? nick470 MEGAsquirt 1 09-30-2015 11:32 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
Another Alternator thread ihiryu General Miata Chat 9 09-28-2015 11:22 AM
mslabs MS2 - Idle control issue ndragun MEGAsquirt 0 09-20-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.