(Quick Fab) China Manifold Replacement - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #21
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,640
Total Cats: 25
Default

I completely disagree with you cyotani.

Dann
nitrodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Azusa, CA
Posts: 1,376
Total Cats: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodann View Post
I completely disagree with you cyotani.

Dann
okay

I never said I was right, just trying to have an intellectual conversion about manifolds. that greater than statment was a question if you haven't noticed...
cyotani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,640
Total Cats: 25
Default

I answered

Dann
nitrodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

So i'm curious why go with such oversized pipes?

Btw wb Dann
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Azusa, CA
Posts: 1,376
Total Cats: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodann View Post
I answered

Dann
Care to elaborate please? Speaking from a flow stand point. Not reliability, ease of mfg. and what not.
cyotani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
they aren't flowing "into" each other; they won't collide like atoms and explode. #1 and #4 don't fire at the same time so it doesn't even matter.

But if that's your argument for what makes one better than the other, I suggest you look closely at OP's #1 and #4 as well.
No nuclear powered turbo? No interested.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,640
Total Cats: 25
Default

Thanks 888a, I actually have no idea why I was banned, but its MT, you get that.

The issue is the wall thickness of the pipes and the amount of weld protruding inside these pipes, and the fact that it has a much higher surface area.

So in essence, its larger and lets more heat escape lowering efficiency by lowering enthalpy, and I doubt it flows as nice as the smooth insides of the basic log manifold.

Dann
nitrodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #28
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,673
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Anything here flows better than the steampipe log with the outlet hole cut in it. Hell, a cast log flows better than the steampipe logs because there is some attempt at directing the outlet gasses.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,640
Total Cats: 25
Default

I'm not sure if you are refuting what I'm saying because you genuinely considered it and think something different or if you are just being facetious.

Dann
nitrodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodann View Post
I'm not sure if you are refuting what I'm saying because you genuinely considered it and think something different or if you are just being facetious.

Dann

Whoa. ****.

Cool it with the big words. I don't know what they mean so i'm forced to take offense at them.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #31
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,640
Total Cats: 25
Default

so then?
nitrodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #32
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Azusa, CA
Posts: 1,376
Total Cats: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodann View Post
The issue is the wall thickness of the pipes and the amount of weld protruding inside these pipes, and the fact that it has a much higher surface area.

So in essence, its larger and lets more heat escape lowering efficiency by lowering enthalpy, and I doubt it flows as nice as the smooth insides of the basic log manifold.

Dann

got it, I was more just considering flow pathway.
cyotani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #33
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ocean City MD
Posts: 22
Total Cats: 8
Default

Typically i don't post things I've created for the first time, but I felt happy with the outcome.

I gained quite a bit of knowledge just making this "diaper" of a manifold. When I order the pieces for the new manifold more time and effort will be placed into it. Plus I now have a jig and that was the most important part, now I can take my time with the new one.

It does look like a diaper now: or the scarecrows head from the batman cartoons:


Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
So i'm curious why go with such oversized pipes?

Btw wb Dann

I'm not sure why I decided to go with 2" pipe, originally I was planning on 1.75" but I just kept bending the 2".

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen View Post
Lol! I'm waiting for "nothing is good enough for you guys". I can't wait to post pics of my new setup so I can get props for trying, but critized at the same time.
Props on making that jig. What type of welder did you use? Obviously it was mig, but I mean, was it a small 110v unit?
The welder I was using is a millermatic 252.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
I'm going to be in OC next week. has i can the old manifold?
Sure, if you don't mind the lack of flanges on it. I launched it into the scrap container from the back of a beat up s-10 from 100 yards away using a large water balloon sling shot (the sling beast). but I'm sure I could dig it out.

Just let me know when your in town and you can swing by the shop to get it.
Attached Thumbnails
(Quick Fab) China Manifold Replacement-mkdm.jpg  
Charmin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.