turbo builds/price range. - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #21
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 14
Total Cats: -90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekel View Post
I've spent over $2000. I'm not running. I didn't spend enough.
skip out on supporting mods?
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #22
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,926
Total Cats: 526
Default

Great idea! Let's leave out the engine management, or a clutch that will hold the power.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #23
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 14
Total Cats: -90
Default

I'm asking if he skipped out on supporting mods. Ex. Ecu, fuel pump, injectors and so on
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

I have about 8K into my setup including supporting mods & suspension/wheels/tires.
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #25
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,778
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Ty shuiend.
That is $3200 for just those 5 pieces of the kit, I left out the $500 on injectors, the $1000 on an ECU, $200 for wideband, $500 for exhaust, $300 for the intercooler, $150 on AN lines, $150 on coolant reroute, $150 on intercooler piping, $5000 on built motor, $750 on 6 speed, $300 for catch can setups, $350 for the clutch.


My first setup was a Begi S1 and it came in around $3500 or so to get running on my car.

The next DIY setup that I will am planning on making should cost me about $1500 to put 200whp down.

My point is that the price varies widely depending on what you want, what/who you know, and how fast you want it done.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #26
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
I can afford a complete kit. But I'm not looking to put more money in a turbo kit for the car then what the car itself is worth.
It never ends. You will never stop spending money. Your car will sit more than you drive it. You will hate your life and fail at cars. Oh wait that is just me.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

He's probably not running becuse project cars like this are a timesink, and not all of us have all the time in the world.

Now run along and go read the stuff that was recommended to you.

Attached Thumbnails
turbo builds/price range.-aubergine-008.jpg  
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 187
Default

OP: If you only have enough time to really think about one sentence in this entire thread, make sure that it's the following: You are not special.

Once you've read, understood, and REALLY accepted that fact, then I'd like to welcome you to the republican party, and wish you well on the path to self-enlightenment.

You want information, we have information. We don't have information because someone else spoon-fed that information to us, we have information because we earned information. In order to get information, you are going to have to earn it also. This doesn't mean we want you to mow our luscious green lawns all summer. This does mean that you are going to have to invest time into your own education on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
I can afford a complete kit. But I'm not looking to put more money in a turbo kit for the car then what the car itself is worth.
If you're not willling to put more money into turbocharging than your NA Miata is worth, then you probably aren't going to turbocharge it; or if you are going to turbocharge it for less, then you have mad fabrication skills, and you didn't ask the question posed in the original post of this thread.

It was nice having you around, we look forward to your return when the following two conditions are met:
1. You have cost expectations that are no longer on par with that of a high-schooler "tricking out his ryde"
2. You no longer expect other people to give you what you want simply because you are somehow "special".

Toodles!
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #29
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 14
Total Cats: -90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
That is $3200 for just those 5 pieces of the kit, I left out the $500 on injectors, the $1000 on an ECU, $200 for wideband, $500 for exhaust, $300 for the intercooler, $150 on AN lines, $150 on coolant reroute, $150 on intercooler piping, $5000 on built motor, $750 on 6 speed, $300 for catch can setups, $350 for the clutch.


My first setup was a Begi S1 and it came in around $3500 or so to get running on my car.

The next DIY setup that I will am planning on making should cost me about $1500 to put 200whp down.

My point is that the price varies widely depending on what you want, what/who you know, and how fast you want it done.
Wow 500.00 on injectors. Your next setup sounds like its good hp for the money.
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #30
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,778
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
It never ends. You will never stop spending money. Your car will sit more than you drive it. You will hate your life and fail at cars. Oh wait that is just me.
Not just you, I am often in that same boat. I just don't know how to sell miatas like you do.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #31
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beckley, WV
Posts: 868
Total Cats: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
It never ends. You will never stop spending money. Your car will sit more than you drive it. You will hate your life and fail at cars. Oh wait that is just me.
I put mine on jack stands with the idea to do everything in 5 days. 3 weeks later I see no starting date in site.

Attached Thumbnails
turbo builds/price range.-glee1.gif  
Tekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #32
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 14
Total Cats: -90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
OP: If you only have enough time to really think about one sentence in this entire thread, make sure that it's the following: You are not special.

Once you've read, understood, and REALLY accepted that fact, then I'd like to welcome you to the republican party, and wish you well on the path to self-enlightenment.

You want information, we have information. We don't have information because someone else spoon-fed that information to us, we have information because we earned information. In order to get information, you are going to have to earn it also. This doesn't mean we want you to mow our luscious green lawns all summer. This does mean that you are going to have to invest time into your own education on this site.



If you're not willling to put more money into turbocharging than your NA Miata is worth, then you probably aren't going to turbocharge it; or if you are going to turbocharge it for less, then you have mad fabrication skills, and you didn't ask the question posed in the original post of this thread.

It was nice having you around, we look forward to your return when the following two conditions are met:
1. You have cost expectations that are no longer on par with that of a high-schooler "tricking out his ryde"
2. You no longer expect other people to give you what you want simply because you are somehow "special".

Toodles!
1. Not one time did I ask to be spoon fed any information.
2. I only asked what have you personally put together and what did it cost to get all the parts.
3.anything other than that is unwanted and just asking to stir up problems.
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #33
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,926
Total Cats: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
1. Not one time did I ask to be spoon fed any information.




It's... all... right... Here!

Build Threads - Miata Turbo Forum - Turbo Kitten is watching you test compression.
Attached Thumbnails
turbo builds/price range.-angry-frustrated-annoyed-mr-krabs-spongebob-squarepants.gif  
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #34
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
FTFY?
Attached Thumbnails
turbo builds/price range.-angry-frustrated-annoyed-mr-krabs-spongebob-squarepants.gif  
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #35
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,926
Total Cats: 526
Default

LOL I was working on it... The GIF embed didn't work the first time...

Edit: hold on, the text needs to be bigger...
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #36
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #37
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Not just you, I am often in that same boat. I just don't know how to sell miatas like you do.
Ya... I want a Miata again. But I don't know how to not sell them. In my defense I would have kept my last one since I had everything I ever wanted in a Miata. I needed nothing but time to put it back together.

Selling the bimmer would be a major pain. But meh who knows. Maybe I'll throw up a feeler on craigslist and see if I get any bites.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #38
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,778
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Wow 500.00 on injectors. Your next setup sounds like its good hp for the money.
I have been through 5 different sets of injectors over a 5 year span. The $500 I spent on ID1000's were worth every penny, and anyone who has used ID injectors will say the same thing.

The setup I will be working on next will be cheap because over the past 7+ years I have learned a metric **** ton. I will be building my manifold and exhaust from scratch in my garage. I will be using a ton of used parts that were acquired in back room poker games and parts that I have been hoarding for years. It will be an extremely reliable and well done setup, but not something that is doable without great skills, luck, and knowledge.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #39
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
I have been through 5 different sets of injectors over a 5 year span. The $500 I spent on ID1000's were worth every penny, and anyone who has used ID injectors will say the same thing.

The setup I will be working on next will be cheap because over the past 7+ years I have learned a metric **** ton. I will be building my manifold and exhaust from scratch in my garage. I will be using a ton of used parts that were acquired in back room poker games and parts that I have been hoarding for years. It will be an extremely reliable and well done setup, but not something that is doable without great skills, luck, and knowledge.
ID,FIC or go home!
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #40
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 14
Total Cats: -90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
I have been through 5 different sets of injectors over a 5 year span. The $500 I spent on ID1000's were worth every penny, and anyone who has used ID injectors will say the same thing.

The setup I will be working on next will be cheap because over the past 7+ years I have learned a metric **** ton. I will be building my manifold and exhaust from scratch in my garage. I will be using a ton of used parts that were acquired in back room poker games and parts that I have been hoarding for years. It will be an extremely reliable and well done setup, but not something that is doable without great skills, luck, and knowledge.
They seem like over kill for only 200whp. 1015cc and it said something about being pnp for a variety of vehicles. Miata wouldn't happen to be one would it?
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.