Welders - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #21
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

also check www.weldingdepot.com

btw, pretty much any welder that can do mild can do stainless with a gas change.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #22
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 200
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
also check www.weldingdepot.com

btw, pretty much any welder that can do mild can do stainless with a gas change.
Thanks man, I'll check it out.

Is there anything else I need besides the helmet and gloves?
mx5roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #23
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 536
Total Cats: 0
Default

look in your area for a mig welder.. on craigslist.. you can find htemfor $200-300 and piping for an exhaust should cost about $50 if you get it from the right place. You don't need to take it to a shop.. you can do it yourself.. its honestly cake.
PaKMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantaylor View Post
i have the welder right below that model. its cheap, and gets the job done.
This is a much better machine in the same price range.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...lder&Submit=Go

I have used both welders, and I own the welder above (but in a discontinued 180A version, mine has the same power output as above though and the same manual.) It is the same welder with some minor control board differences.

It will make nice welds with good wire and gas, and yes, it will weld a 1/4" thickness steel plate in one pass to another, but is able to weld thin wall mild steel as well.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #25
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 858
Total Cats: 0
Default

I've got a harbor freight $100 flux-core and a $3800 Snap-On MIG (I got it for $0) both of which are 110v.

The flux-core is nice but only has high/low amp settings and even with it on low, its easy to burn through stuff. Also, fluxcore leaves a good bit of spatter and is sensitive to dirty metal. It's done 3 exhausts and 3 sets of intercooler piping as well as other misc. work and keeps on ticking. It's lasted way longer than I expected and I've never had a weld break.

The snap-on kicks *** and is waay overkill for anything I'll ever use it for. I built my manifold with it.

I'd try and find a nice used lincoln with gas hookup upgrade.
SloS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #26
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 200
Total Cats: 0
Default

Found this locally on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicago-MIG-100-...QQcmdZViewItem

Does it look like it will do the job? For $50 I really don't care if it lasts only once and I have to trash it to make some nicer welds.
mx5roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5roadster View Post
Found this locally on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicago-MIG-100-...QQcmdZViewItem

Does it look like it will do the job? For $50 I really don't care if it lasts only once and I have to trash it to make some nicer welds.
Probably for some light duty welds it will work, but on anything .125 wall or thicker maybe not... Now if you make box with a nice steel bottom and purge it with CO2 you could even weld stainless in it.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #28
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5roadster View Post
Found this locally on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicago-MIG-100-...QQcmdZViewItem

Does it look like it will do the job? For $50 I really don't care if it lasts only once and I have to trash it to make some nicer welds.
thats the one i have. you can get them brand new for like 120 though
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 167
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5roadster View Post
Thanks man, I'll check it out.

Is there anything else I need besides the helmet and gloves?
Anti-sputter spray, wire, the tank regulator, gas.

Btw, my uncle is a professional welder and he use to teach how to weld at an aviation academy. He told me that one time the academy bought a bunch of cheap chicago electric welders. Well, these welders were useless bc none of them feed the wire constantly, I mean the rate the wire came out of the tip was not the same all the time while they were welding. He say it was impossible to get a good nice weld.
So the moral of the story is be aware when buying cheap welders. Consider a welder an investment, a good one will last you all your life you wont regret spending a little more money.
Look at Lincoln.
I have a Schumacher 180amps 220volts welder, I bought it used for $200 with tank and regulator. It is not as good as Lincoln but its not bad either. Look at used ones
90turboMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #30
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 200
Total Cats: 0
Default

Yeah I have heard loncoln, miller, and hobart are all good. Just waiting for something to pop up on craigslist and I will go after it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 90turboMX5 View Post
Anti-sputter spray, wire, the tank regulator, gas.

Btw, my uncle is a professional welder and he use to teach how to weld at an aviation academy. He told me that one time the academy bought a bunch of cheap chicago electric welders. Well, these welders were useless bc none of them feed the wire constantly, I mean the rate the wire came out of the tip was not the same all the time while they were welding. He say it was impossible to get a good nice weld.
So the moral of the story is be aware when buying cheap welders. Consider a welder an investment, a good one will last you all your life you wont regret spending a little more money.
Look at Lincoln.
I have a Schumacher 180amps 220volts welder, I bought it used for $200 with tank and regulator. It is not as good as Lincoln but its not bad either. Look at used ones
mx5roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 246
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post

I bought a 120V 135A Lincoln for about $400.

I also recommend a 14" metal chop saw, makes it a lot easier to get straight cuts.
+1 I've had 2 migs, 1 was on the cheaper side (flux + ability to go to gas) and couldn't do frame rails (max was 1/8" and that was a PITA) ended up giving that one to a friend for light bodywork, 2nd is a Lincoln (same as above). I love the Lincoln - used it heavily for light to 1/4" stock and never had an issue - think heavy trailer repairs and farm work. You can get replacement parts at any National Welders. I'd try to score a used one - go MIG, flux is a bitch and gets on everything around your welding area not to mention you!
mtncrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 09:36 PM
all TIG welders chime in please? WonTon Insert BS here 17 02-12-2010 01:18 PM
TIG Welders Joe Perez General Miata Chat 38 06-07-2009 10:54 AM
Lincoln Electric Invertec V100-S DC Stick/Tig welder with pedal mod iWeasel410 Miata parts for sale/trade 4 10-15-2007 11:36 PM
Looking to purchase a welder ... jayc72 Insert BS here 27 09-29-2007 09:37 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.