What size turbo is best for 1.6 ? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default What size turbo is best for 1.6 ?

Hey guys I just bought my miata and want to put together a turbo kit myself. What size turbo works best with a 91 1.6 . Also which manifold would you use. I want to make at least 250 rwhp with not to much lag. Any suggestions on fuels systems would be great. Basically I want to do it right but also on my own. I just sold my 650rwhp viper in order to buy a larger boat and bought this miata for fun.
johnlomant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

do some browsing around the t3 s60 has quite a folowing i am one of the few that runs a 16g, some of the guys with more cash run BB turbos but ohwell as far as fueling is concerend if yuo have money wich i assum you do get a link, haltechm emanage ultimate, tec3, hydra, or megasquirt if you are handy with a soldering iron there are those edgeing into 300 whp range with stock ecu and components but not to many. You dif is the weakest link on the 1.6 but an upgrade to a 1.8 dif is very simple. the tranny should handle 250 lbft or abit more depending on how you drive it. also the stock clutch is only good for about 140-150whp. hope this helps a i said before just take some time and peruse the site and all your questions will be answered. this will help as well https://www.miataturbo.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4288
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default

thanks a lot for the info
johnlomant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
mxv
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 582
Total Cats: 0
Default

t3 .48.60
mxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

The T3S60 is the right turbo for the job. .48 A/R turbine housing.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Get the BEGi manifold with the T3. Plus Corky used my turbo and made a template for the DP to match as well. (Standard 3 bolt outlet pattern)
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sammamish, Washington
Posts: 1,396
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
The T3S60 is the right turbo for the job. .48 A/R turbine housing.

Mark
Absolutley.
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
The T3S60 is the right turbo for the job. .48 A/R turbine housing.

Mark
what he said
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,450
Total Cats: -1
Default

Making 250rwhp from 1600cc of displacement is no walk in the park. I mean, you'll need a pretty good dallop of boost, and it might be considerably laggier than you expect, especially coming from a Viper.

That being said, a T28-sized turbo (e.g. the Garrett GT2560-ish size) will get you there just fine. With outstanding tuning and a strong engine, you might get there with 12psi. Otherwise, figure ~15psi.
bripab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bripab007 View Post
Making 250rwhp from 1600cc of displacement is no walk in the park. I mean, you'll need a pretty good dallop of boost, and it might be considerably laggier than you expect, especially coming from a Viper.

That being said, a T28-sized turbo (e.g. the Garrett GT2560-ish size) will get you there just fine. With outstanding tuning and a strong engine, you might get there with 12psi. Otherwise, figure ~15psi.
There is not much in the way of difference lag wise between a GT2560R and a T3S60 with the .48 a/r turbine. Especially considering the compressors are quite similar. I was able to make 10 PSI at 2800 RPM on a 1.6 with the T3, not that it will do anything since its not making any appreciable HP, but I suppose you can make more boost possibly with the GT2560R at the same RPM... Still it won't make appreciable power until about 4000 RPM. Just the nature of that 1.6 motor.

I only made 235 RWHP at 12 PSI on the 1.6 with the T3. Now that crazy bastard Ric Stevens was making 325 RWHP at ~20 PSI with a GT32 of some sort. Bone stock motor. Of course, any turbo is going to feel laggy when compared to a 10 cylinder naturally aspirated motor with considerable displacement.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,450
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
There is not much in the way of difference lag wise between a GT2560R and a T3S60 with the .48 a/r turbine. Especially considering the compressors are quite similar. I was able to make 10 PSI at 2800 RPM on a 1.6 with the T3, not that it will do anything since its not making any appreciable HP, but I suppose you can make more boost possibly with the GT2560R at the same RPM... Still it won't make appreciable power until about 4000 RPM. Just the nature of that 1.6 motor.
Yeah, if you're making 10psi by 2800 RPM with the T3 .48 or 2560 with 1600cc, I think you're doing pretty good. So, it must've had that 12psi by, what, 2900-3000 RPM? With what kind of manifold, downpipe, intercooler was that?

My target is only ~7.5psi, but I'm not at full boost until somewhere north of 3000 RPM, and my turbo's probably only good for ~360 cfm, so it's fairly small.

You're right that the 1.6L just doesn't seem to really wake up until it comes on cam at ~4000 RPM, although you can certainly feel the extra torque at as little as maybe ~2750 RPM.
bripab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

man I dont hit 10-12psi untill 3.8k with my BEGi manifold and DP.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

me neither by 2.8K i only have like 6-7 psi :(
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:44 PM   #14
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

:( is right.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

12 psi by 3700 though. cant wait to see what the 460's do. i might have ot go to a safc to run em but it'll be worth it.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:51 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bripab007 View Post
Yeah, if you're making 10psi by 2800 RPM with the T3 .48 or 2560 with 1600cc, I think you're doing pretty good. So, it must've had that 12psi by, what, 2900-3000 RPM? With what kind of manifold, downpipe, intercooler was that?

My target is only ~7.5psi, but I'm not at full boost until somewhere north of 3000 RPM, and my turbo's probably only good for ~360 cfm, so it's fairly small.

You're right that the 1.6L just doesn't seem to really wake up until it comes on cam at ~4000 RPM, although you can certainly feel the extra torque at as little as maybe ~2750 RPM.
I think it had 12 PSI by 3200 or so.

Manifold... Made by me. Tubular, mild steel.
Downpipe... Made by me. 2.5"
Intercooler... Cut down Ford Powerstroke Intercooler with custom endtanks.

Engine Management: Haltech

Mark

PS - Stop running log manifolds and you'll build boost earlier.
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #17
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

But i have "Directed Pulse" :gay:

actually it spools signifigantly better than with the log manifold and even bette ryet with a boost silenoid.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,450
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post

PS - Stop running log manifolds and you'll build boost earlier.
I have a tubular manifold...mad of STAINLESS, fool But the runners aren't perfectly equal-length

2.5" downpipe and exhaust, built by me
bripab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:57 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bripab007 View Post
I have a tubular manifold...mad of STAINLESS, fool But the runners aren't perfectly equal-length

2.5" downpipe and exhaust, built by me
LOL, well maybe you went too big on the runners. I was using fairly small runners to keep the port velocity up. I suspect that might be a difference. I believe (IIRC) I used 1.25" ID primaries in this application.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
But i have "Directed Pulse" :gay:

actually it spools signifigantly better than with the log manifold and even bette ryet with a boost silenoid.
How does the "directed pulse" compare, do you have any hard numbers or is all seat of the pants. Good thing Corky thought of it.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 AM.