What turbo manifold to get? There arent many options out there.... - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengtou View Post
It seems they make most turbo manifolds for the 1.6l on ebay.
1.6 and 1.8's take the same manifold. you might have to drill some holes different.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
If this doesn't work, I'm selling all the miata **** and buying an Evo. Stay tuned.
If it don't work, you get your money back and I get out of the fancy manifold fab business...at least for track cars.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 122
Total Cats: 0
Default

If you can weld I say go with a ebay one with welded braces I talked to a guy the other day and his ebay manifold is 2 years old with no issue. Just have to weld support braces.
BoostedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

it seems everyone and their mother will make you a manifold but not many offer downpipes which kinda defeats the purpose. because if i could make my own downpipe i'd make my own manifold too
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #25
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,315
Total Cats: 1,913
Default

Really?

From a layman's perspective (having never made a manifold), I've always assumed a few things.

First, the degree of skill (and the quality of tools) needed to build a manifold are vastly greater than to build a downpipe. Manifolds are subjected to much greater heat and pressure, and they bear a greater mechanical stress. They consist of a fairly large number of individual pieces, which must be cut at somewhat complex angles, and the materials involved are comparatively quite thick.

On the other hand, assuming you have the skill and tools, it's pretty easy to build a manifold on the bench, without access to the car that it's going to go into, and still ensure that it will fit properly and turbo not hit block. On the other hand, to ensure proper fitment of a downpipe, you really kinda need the whole car, including the manifold and the turbo. That's doable if you're building a large number of identical pipes, such as when designing a downpipe to work with a Greddy turbo on a Greddy manifold, or a GT25 on a Bell manifold in an NB. You build it once in the car, then you build a jig, then you build all the rest of them on the jig. But if you're doing a lot of different fitments, for different turbos on different manifolds on different cars, well, that's a hell of a lot of variables.

In other words, manifold-building is a demanding task that happens to be well-suited to remote fabrication. Downpipe building, though it requires custom-fitment, is far less demanding of skill and equipment and thus easier for the layperson (or the local exhaust shop) to execute.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Joe Perez; 08-15-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Really?

From a layman's perspective (having never made a manifold), I've always assumed a few things.

First, the degree of skill (and the quality of tools) needed to build a manifold are vastly greater than to build a downpipe. Manifolds are subjected to much greater heat and pressure, and they bear a greater mechanical stress. They consist of a fairly large number of individual pieces, which must be cut at somewhat complex angles, and the materials involved are comparatively quite thick.

On the other hand, assuming you have the skill and tools, it's pretty easy to build a manifold on the bench, without access to the car that it's going to go into, and still ensure that it will fit properly and turbo not hit block. On the other hand, to ensure proper fitment of a downpipe, you really kinda need the whole car, including the manifold and the turbo. That's doable if you're building a large number of identical pipes, such as when designing a downpipe to work with a Greddy turbo on a Greddy manifold, or a GT25 on a Bell manifold in an NB. You build it once in the car, then you build a jig, then you build all the rest of them on the jig. But if you're doing a lot of different fitments, for different turbos on different manifolds on different cars, well, that's a hell of a lot of variables.

In other words, manifold-building is a demanding task that happens to be well-suited to remote fabrication. Downpipe building, though it requires custom-fitment, is far less demanding of skill and equipment and thus easier for the layperson (or the local exhaust shop) to execute.

Thoughts?
Sounds pretty much exactly correct to me.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #27
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
If it don't work, you get your money back and I get out of the fancy manifold fab business...at least for track cars.


so it is said, let it be written.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,315
Total Cats: 1,913
Default

Tim, I gotta say, I love that avatar of yours.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MONROE CT
Posts: 1,100
Total Cats: 2
Default

I had a FM1 manifold and I broke every stud left and right or the nut and/or stud just came lose. The only way I was able to stop the loosening was the drill holes in the nut heads and wire them to each other like they do with air craft parts. Then for the studs I went and found the best I could find around town and pinned them in. work good for the time I had that manifold but now I got a custom one made to fit the DSM turbos seeing how as the dsm turbos are cheaper. They make every thing from the factory 14b to bolt on gt35r that use the same downpipe and internal wastegate so its a good 300 to 500 cheaper.
miatamike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Really?

From a layman's perspective (having never made a manifold), I've always assumed a few things.

First, the degree of skill (and the quality of tools) needed to build a manifold are vastly greater than to build a downpipe. Manifolds are subjected to much greater heat and pressure, and they bear a greater mechanical stress. They consist of a fairly large number of individual pieces, which must be cut at somewhat complex angles, and the materials involved are comparatively quite thick.

On the other hand, assuming you have the skill and tools, it's pretty easy to build a manifold on the bench, without access to the car that it's going to go into, and still ensure that it will fit properly and turbo not hit block. On the other hand, to ensure proper fitment of a downpipe, you really kinda need the whole car, including the manifold and the turbo. That's doable if you're building a large number of identical pipes, such as when designing a downpipe to work with a Greddy turbo on a Greddy manifold, or a GT25 on a Bell manifold in an NB. You build it once in the car, then you build a jig, then you build all the rest of them on the jig. But if you're doing a lot of different fitments, for different turbos on different manifolds on different cars, well, that's a hell of a lot of variables.

In other words, manifold-building is a demanding task that happens to be well-suited to remote fabrication. Downpipe building, though it requires custom-fitment, is far less demanding of skill and equipment and thus easier for the layperson (or the local exhaust shop) to execute.

Thoughts?
you missed my point. i bet there are thousands out there that pass on someones beautiful manifold and buy from fm begi or tim because they'll get a downpipe and not have to worry about sourcing or building their own. welding is a skill that not everyone has nor wants. Be it a manifold or downpipe doesn't matter much.
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #31
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,315
Total Cats: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach929 View Post
you missed my point. i bet there are thousands out there that pass on someones beautiful manifold and buy from fm begi or tim because they'll get a downpipe and not have to worry about sourcing or building their own. welding is a skill that not everyone has nor wants. Be it a manifold or downpipe doesn't matter much.
No, I get your point, and I agree. But what's the solution?
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
No, I get your point, and I agree. But what's the solution?
the solution would be to buy from someone who can supply a downpipe for your setup.

the op was asking for a suggestion on a manifold, i figured valuable advice would be pointing him in a direction where he could get parts that were a bolt on affair without having any extra greif in his life
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #33
Guest
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 115
Total Cats: 0
Default

yep, that's the solution, include a DP

I give props to the DIY guys but I'm happy to pay a premium to get the best parts and parts I can set and forget.
CRXican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

your not a real man........ real men DIY!! go Tim!!! lol
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #35
Guest
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 115
Total Cats: 0
Default

call me what you will

you can have ghetto fab, I'll go Absurdflow
CRXican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #36
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ABERDEEN MD
Posts: 11
Total Cats: 0
Default

Now tim, about the absurdflow manifold what turbo is the manafold built for. I have a 00 i am going to DIY my entire turbo kit for. Going to be running the FM hydra. And how much is the manifold.
NBdriftpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #37
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,315
Total Cats: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBdriftpilot View Post
about the absurdflow manifold what turbo is the manafold built for.
They are custom-built for any turbo you damn well please to put on 'em. Every one is different, which is part of the reason there's no standard downpipe for them (which is what posts # 24-35 of this thread have been about.)
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #38
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ABERDEEN MD
Posts: 11
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
They are custom-built for any turbo you damn well please to put on 'em. Every one is different, which is part of the reason there's no standard downpipe for them (which is what posts # 24-35 of this thread have been about.)
Ok. Thanks for the claification. And so in other words read more carefuly .
NBdriftpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 114
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I've had a begi manifold and the studs stretch and the manifold warped once I finally got on the track. Tim is making an Absurdflow for me. If this doesn't work, I'm selling all the miata **** and buying an Evo. Stay tuned.

If you want to track the car and you buy something other than a v-band manifold you're wasting your money.
just to be sure, you did use the manifold brace?

is a v-band manifold truly that much of a necessity?
NickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #40
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Springfield, NJ
Posts: 670
Total Cats: 0
Default

I like my AbsurdFlow SGDP because it's serial #1 of 1, and Tim swore on his welding machine that there will never, ever be a #2 for what I paid!

The nearly immediate spool is also nice.
evank is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.