just got back from the dyno...... - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,244
Total Cats: 291
Default

Actually I'd think you're torque curve would follow a similar shape to your previous run- just higher up. It's missing the rise to the peak. And that would have put your peak torque in a similar relation to your power- like Andy's. Logs would be the only way to establish a connection between tuning and the curve. And if it was that, then probably something mechanical, since it's pretty much out of character for the engine. What's the exhaust like?
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:12 PM   #22
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,010
Total Cats: 8
Default

driver exit.... 2.5" all the way back.... and No muffler, just a stainless pipe with a borla tip
airbrush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #23
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Are you thinking it would curve up if it had the ability to push more air--meaning the flat power is flat only because it's restricted from rising? So, restrictive I/C pipes perhaps?



Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
Actually I'd think you're torque curve would follow a similar shape to your previous run- just higher up. It's missing the rise to the peak. And that would have put your peak torque in a similar relation to your power- like Andy's. Logs would be the only way to establish a connection between tuning and the curve. And if it was that, then probably something mechanical, since it's pretty much out of character for the engine. What's the exhaust like?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:38 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,244
Total Cats: 291
Default

I think the lack of peak is more indicative of tuning. It was there on the first run and gone on the final- nothing mechanical changed. I think a physical limitation would show in both the torque and hp. Datalogs would tell more of the story I'm sure.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:01 AM   #25
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 57
Total Cats: 0
Default

About the strange torque curve, maybe it was caused by detonation?
I've seen inaudible knock chop off the top of a torque curve before... and the graph looked a lot like that one.
lukydvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,244
Total Cats: 291
Default

I suppose that's plausible- and tuning related. Both the hp and torque curves change character at the exact same point. The torque curve goes flat and the hp curve makes a drastic change in angle (though still climbing, just not as steep).
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

It just looks like good tuning to me, this engine pulls like a freight train up top where as mine is all midrange.
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #28
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,010
Total Cats: 8
Default

monitoring the knock sensor with the hydrea shows no knock at all
airbrush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrush1 View Post
driver exit.... 2.5" all the way back.... and No muffler, just a stainless pipe with a borla tip
Any pics of this?

Side-exit is common for SRT4s (my other car) but not Miatas and I've been thinking about it.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #30
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,895
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #31
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,010
Total Cats: 8
Default

back to the torque curve.... I was looking over it a bit more, and thinking about it while in boost today......

the car comes out of vacuum at around 3600 at WOT in 4th gear.... I hit 12psi right around where the torque peaks and levels off. at that point the wategate opens.... Pretty standard right? Well the wastegate IS vented atmospherically, not routed back into the exhaust........ Perhaps that explains some of the flatness of the tourque curve???? Any dyno sheets available on Miatas with atmospherically vented wastegates?????
airbrush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:27 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrush1 View Post
back to the torque curve.... I was looking over it a bit more, and thinking about it while in boost today......

the car comes out of vacuum at around 3600 at WOT in 4th gear.... I hit 12psi right around where the torque peaks and levels off. at that point the wategate opens.... Pretty standard right? Well the wastegate IS vented atmospherically, not routed back into the exhaust........ Perhaps that explains some of the flatness of the tourque curve???? Any dyno sheets available on Miatas with atmospherically vented wastegates?????
Look at the ghettocharger dyno sheet, relatively untuned but vented to the atmosphere on the wastegate.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:40 AM   #33
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,927
Total Cats: 5
Default

I didn't know you were in the MD area. You should probably have Phil from Element Tuning tuner your hydra if you want a good Hydra tuner. He's a Suby guy too but well versed in the Hydra. He's the sole distributor for it for Subys. He doesn't have a dyno but would use any local one. Agile, Extreme Motorsports, Altered Atmosphere.

Hill at Agile has a decent rep in the Suby world, but their dyno is known to produce numbers that are a bit higher than most of the others.

Subies run really FAT A/F ratios. I wonder if you're running way rich or they tuned it too conservative?

Frank
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I didn't know you were in the MD area. You should probably have Phil from Element Tuning tuner your hydra if you want a good Hydra tuner. He's a Suby guy too but well versed in the Hydra. He's the sole distributor for it for Subys. He doesn't have a dyno but would use any local one. Agile, Extreme Motorsports, Altered Atmosphere.

Hill at Agile has a decent rep in the Suby world, but their dyno is known to produce numbers that are a bit higher than most of the others.

Subies run really FAT A/F ratios. I wonder if you're running way rich or they tuned it too conservative?

Frank

I dont see a thing wrong with his tune....he made 260whp on 12psi. That is VERY impresssive if you ask me. If you want more torque you have to run more boost. I would rather have a flat torque curve like his honestly.
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #35
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,010
Total Cats: 8
Default

Yeah, I talked to Phil from element.... but he didn't seem too excited to do the tuning for me.... Hill on the other hand is someone I know, and have a friendly relationship with.... He seemed generally happy to tune the car for me, and did a good job with it, and I'd recomend him to anyone....

He did tune conservatively, as he is not horribly familiar with miata's, so no, I'm not on the ragged edge, which is fine with me..... I'd rather the car hold up.....

There are things I want to address... cooling, fuel, water injection, electronic boost control, and a few others, before I go back to the dyno again....

NEXT IT'S 300......
airbrush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,244
Total Cats: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrush1 View Post
...NEXT IT'S 300......
ft. lbs.?
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #37
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,010
Total Cats: 8
Default

yeah, that would be nice.... but I'm thinking HP......
airbrush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #38
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

FTlbs is doable.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 0
Default

huh?
F20turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #40
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,895
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

FTlbs is doable = Fat labias is doable.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.