STD vs SAE correction - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

STD vs SAE correction

Old 11-20-2009, 09:59 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,118
Total Cats: 0
Default STD vs SAE correction

I've been trying to google the difference in the 2 and can't really seem to find any formula's or anything except people on forums talking about it which one is accepted.

Can someone shed some light on the subject and tell us exactly what goes into each?

Reason I ask is because I noticed something in the dynojet files that we use in Newark, DE and was wondering if that made a difference in the numbers or not.
ArtieParty is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 AM
  #2  
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,085
Total Cats: 367
Default

In for answer.
hustler is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 10:32 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northeastern CT
Posts: 546
Total Cats: 2
Default

SAE correction "corrects" your dyno numbers to standardized temp, atmospheric pressure, etc in an attempt to make dyno runs from one day comparable to dyno runs on a different day with totally different weather conditions.

it actually works pretty well... for n/a cars. for turbo cars the air actually going into the engine is so far seperated from the actual atmospheric conditions, that SAE corrections tend to wildly overcompensate.

personally i always go by the actual uncorrected numbers...
therieldeal is online now  
Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,118
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by therieldeal View Post
SAE correction "corrects" your dyno numbers to standardized temp, atmospheric pressure, etc in an attempt to make dyno runs from one day comparable to dyno runs on a different day with totally different weather conditions.

it actually works pretty well... for n/a cars. for turbo cars the air actually going into the engine is so far seperated from the actual atmospheric conditions, that SAE corrections tend to wildly overcompensate.

personally i always go by the actual uncorrected numbers...
This is exactly what is on every other forum which gives almost no info. I'm looking for an actual explanation, not just "it uses etc and it corrects".
ArtieParty is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
  #5  
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 75,020
Total Cats: 2,104
Default

I just look at the number it gives my run and I can see it'll correct it by 1.02 or .98 I've never seen much more than that.
Braineack is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 269
Total Cats: 0
Default

Try this link:
Equations: Dyno Correction Factor and Relative Horsepower

Seems to give some equations and reasoning behind it.
harleybutter is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
  #7  
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 75,020
Total Cats: 2,104
Default

hey look at that: exactly what he was lookin for.
Braineack is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 11:21 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,118
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by harleybutter View Post
Try this link:
Equations: Dyno Correction Factor and Relative Horsepower

Seems to give some equations and reasoning behind it.
That is exactly what I was looking for. Except that it didn't touch on STD correction factors. But I think that's ok.

What I was really looking for is if elevation was part of the equation at all. Because the elevation the dyno has set in WinPEP is wayyyyy off for Newark, DE.

Thanks guys!
ArtieParty is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 11:45 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 269
Total Cats: 0
Default

Changes in elevation should make a difference in:
Pd = the pressure of the dry air, mb.
harleybutter is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 11:48 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,361
Total Cats: 16
Default

Originally Posted by ArtieParty View Post
Because the elevation the dyno has set in WinPEP is wayyyyy off for Newark, DE.
Insert comment about FM corrected dyno numbers here.
ScottFW is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northeastern CT
Posts: 546
Total Cats: 2
Default

Originally Posted by ArtieParty View Post
What I was really looking for is if elevation was part of the equation at all. Because the elevation the dyno has set in WinPEP is wayyyyy off for Newark, DE.
physical elevation is irrelevant, what's important is density altitude. that could be the number your looking at...
therieldeal is online now  
Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
  #12  
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,114
Total Cats: 475
Default

just as a point of reference, most plots brain and i post are set to STD correction, smoothing at 5.
y8s is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,118
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by therieldeal View Post
physical elevation is irrelevant, what's important is density altitude. that could be the number your looking at...
No, I'm looking at physical elevation.



If it's a field there, I'm going under the assumption that it may be part of the correction. It says elevation 4500ft, but if you actually google Newark, DE it says average 75 ft.
ArtieParty is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 01:00 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,118
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by y8s View Post
just as a point of reference, most plots brain and i post are set to STD correction, smoothing at 5.
Yup, that's what Paul and I do too.
ArtieParty is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 PM
  #15  
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 75,020
Total Cats: 2,104
Default

weird my runs show 0ft. my SAE correction is .98. yours is the same correction.
Braineack is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bigmackloud
Miata parts for sale/trade
13
09-22-2017 01:34 PM
Frank_and_Beans
Supercharger Discussion
13
09-12-2016 09:17 PM
iparnell
MEGAsquirt
2
09-13-2015 08:04 PM
Motorsport-Electronics
ECUs and Tuning
0
09-05-2015 09:02 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STD vs SAE correction


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.