What HP at what PSI? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


ECUs and Tuning Discuss Engine Management, Tuning, & Programming

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -61
Default What HP at what PSI?

Well.

Ill be bringing my car to get tuned on the rolling road soon, so I'm asking what are people getting with a tune running 7psi in a stock 1.8L with the usual turbo kits (WB, IAT, injectors, Megasquirt, intercooler, full exhaust etc)?
I am running the usual with a t28 bb turbo, stock fuel system with 420cc injectors, no cat, and I've no boost controller on (yet). At the minute with a basic road tune it feels bloody fast, and that's coming from passengers who race rally cars and have driven M3s.

PS I won't appreciate someone saying "it all depends on the engine, or dyno, or fuel in your country, or the tolerances of valve seats, or what you ate for f***ing breakfast that morning".

Let us know what hp you get at what psi Preferably on a stock engine.
emarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Downmented's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 485
Total Cats: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkey View Post

PS I won't appreciate someone saying "it all depends on the engine, or dyno, or fuel in your country, or the tolerances of valve seats, or what you ate for f***ing breakfast that morning".

Let us know what hp you get at what psi Preferably on a stock engine.
Well, you ask stupid questions, you get stupid answers. HP and boost pressure (PSI) are not a 1:1 correlation, 7psi on your baby turbo vs 7psi on a Super 99 would yield significantly different results. And realistically, the engine, dyno, and fuel DO in fact play a SIGNIFICANT role in the end result of the setup you are having tuned. Stop drinking the internet kool-aid and educate yourself and utilize the tools that are out there to get your own answers, there are NUMEROUS calculators out there that allow you to input all of the factors and details of your particular setup that will give you an estimated output for whatever it is you're attempting to calculate.

Education is key, get you some keys!
Downmented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

you're probably only at like 170rwhp...

bloody slow if you ask me.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Downmented's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 485
Total Cats: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
you're probably only at like 170rwhp...

bloody slow if you ask me.
It can only be as fast as its weakest link



That link being the part between the steering wheel and pedals!
Downmented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

seriously: take a 4th gear pull log on a flat road, load it into virtual dyno, and be sad panda.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downmented View Post
Well, you ask stupid questions, you get stupid answers. HP and boost pressure (PSI) are not a 1:1 correlation, 7psi on your baby turbo vs 7psi on a Super 99 would yield significantly different results. And realistically, the engine, dyno, and fuel DO in fact play a SIGNIFICANT role in the end result of the setup you are having tuned. Stop drinking the internet kool-aid and educate yourself and utilize the tools that are out there to get your own answers, there are NUMEROUS calculators out there that allow you to input all of the factors and details of your particular setup that will give you an estimated output for whatever it is you're attempting to calculate.

Education is key, get you some keys!
Dude, I know all of this. I'm looking for ballpark here. Just some hp numbers and some psi number.
You literally said exactly what makes me hate forum people. I do not thank you for your input.
emarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Downmented's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 485
Total Cats: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkey View Post
Dude, I know all of this. I'm looking for ballpark here. Just some hp numbers and some (BOOST PRESSURE) psi number.
You literally said exactly what makes me hate forum people. I do not thank you for your input.
Thats perfectly fine by me, you literally asked the exact sort of question that an uneducated, lazy individual would ask, hence the response you got. Again, educate yourself, and figure these things out yourself, you claim to "know all of this" yet you are asking questions that anyone with a bit of effort could answer themselves. Your lack of desire to do your own leg work is what sets cookie cutter failed projects apart from the rest. Want good results? Put in good effort, your input determines your output here buddy.

And for the record, my input was not so generously provided in order to receive your gratitude.
Downmented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 178
Total Cats: 16
Default

7 to 10 HP per psi is a rough rule of thumb. 7 psi is probably 170 like Braineack said
dr_boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,072
Total Cats: 253
Default

Eat **** OP
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downmented View Post
Thats perfectly fine by me, you literally asked the exact sort of question that an uneducated, lazy individual would ask, hence the response you got. Again, educate yourself, and figure these things out yourself, you claim to "know all of this" yet you are asking questions that anyone with a bit of effort could answer themselves. Your lack of desire to do your own leg work is what sets cookie cutter failed projects apart from the rest. Want good results? Put in good effort, your input determines your output here buddy.

And for the record, my input was not so generously provided in order to receive your gratitude.
Oh dear.
How do you think I'm lazy and uneducated from one post? You know nothing.

Whether I made this post or not, I will go to the dyno, and I will find out what HP my specific car will make, with my specific mods and all will be well. I have a decent idea of what power it will make, with respect that I've never actually been on a dyno, just from what I've read.
Talk about reading a book from its cover.
This will be my last message to you.
emarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_boone View Post
7 to 10 HP per psi is a rough rule of thumb. 7 psi is probably 170 like Braineack said
Nice one. If it is around 170hp, 170ho feels fast! Considering the highest hp car I've driven is a 180hp Citroen c4 vts but which weighs over 1300kg!
emarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #12
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Downmented's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 485
Total Cats: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkey View Post
Oh dear.
How do you think I'm lazy and uneducated from one post? You know nothing.
.
Well, lets take a look at your one post and how that could be possible.

1- You called a dyno a rolling road. That in itself is reason to question your knowledge right off the bat.
2- You continue to refer to the setup in question as "usual" as in common among the average turbo Miata folk, which in turn means there are likely numerous other setups virtually identical to yours, there for you could have easily looked of those other builds for a point of reference for where your "usual" setup stacks up against the other "usual" setups.
3- You continue to refer to boost pressure as PSI, boost pressure and PSI are not synonymous, PSI is the unit of measure utilized to measure boost pressure. Again, another sign of your lack of knowledge, which is fine if you are willing to put in the leg work to learn.
4- You ask for input while aggressively discrediting a hand full of required factors that weigh in on the answer you so desperately search for.
5- You're tuning without and sort of boost control. Total genius.
6- Prior to this post you had very few posts, and a hand full of neg-cats to accompany those few posts, not a sign that suggests you are very bright or have anything worth while to share.


You want help, or information, then get informed, if you cannot find what you are looking for and feel the need to make a thread such as this, then by all means, go for it, but don't cut the help off before its even had a chance to arrive. Forums are for information, not handouts.

//bye felicia
Downmented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downmented View Post
Well, lets take a look at your one post and how that could be possible.

1- You called a dyno a rolling road. That in itself is reason to question your knowledge right off the bat.
2- You continue to refer to the setup in question as "usual" as in common among the average turbo Miata folk, which in turn means there are likely numerous other setups virtually identical to yours, there for you could have easily looked of those other builds for a point of reference for where your "usual" setup stacks up against the other "usual" setups.
3- You continue to refer to boost pressure as PSI, boost pressure and PSI are not synonymous, PSI is the unit of measure utilized to measure boost pressure. Again, another sign of your lack of knowledge, which is fine if you are willing to put in the leg work to learn.
4- You ask for input while aggressively discrediting a hand full of required factors that weigh in on the answer you so desperately search for.
5- You're tuning without and sort of boost control. Total genius.
6- Prior to this post you had very few posts, and a hand full of neg-cats to accompany those few posts, not a sign that suggests you are very bright or have anything worth while to share.


You want help, or information, then get informed, if you cannot find what you are looking for and feel the need to make a thread such as this, then by all means, go for it, but don't cut the help off before its even had a chance to arrive. Forums are for information, not handouts.

//bye felicia
I don't understand why you saw my post and decided to not reply with what I was looking for, but be c**t instead.
I really don't. Is this a daily things you do? Will I start doing this if I go on forums too often and become a forum gremlin?
Who cares what my cars set up is.
I didn't say "tell me exactly what HP my car will make without me telling you much about it. Go!"
Also, I've heard a dyno being referred to as a rolling road many times. Some even say that a dyno is what you tune an engine on while its outside of the car on its own.
Why can't you just tell me what HP you make at what "boost pressure" (preferably on a stock engine, ofcourse)?
This post could have been great, filled with lots of HP and PSI numbers and maybe a little spec.

You're on your own, pal.
emarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #14
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Downmented's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 485
Total Cats: 59
Default

Someone clearly isn't a man of his word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkey View Post
This will be my last message to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkey View Post
I don't understand why you saw my post and decided to not reply with what I was looking for, but be c**t instead.
I really don't. Is this a daily things you do? Will I start doing this if I go on forums too often and become a forum gremlin?
Who cares what my cars set up is.
I didn't say "tell me exactly what HP my car will make without me telling you much about it. Go!"
Also, I've heard a dyno being referred to as a rolling road many times. Some even say that a dyno is what you tune an engine on while its outside of the car on its own. (This would be an engine dyno)
Why can't you just tell me what HP you make at what "boost pressure" (preferably on a stock engine, ofcourse)?
This post could have been great, filled with lots of HP and PSI numbers and maybe a little spec.

You're on your own, pal.
Downmented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkey View Post
Why can't you just tell me what HP you make at what "boost pressure" (preferably on a stock engine, ofcourse)?
because you simply can't. there's about 37,00 variables.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #16
SadFab CEO
iTrader: (3)
 
hi_im_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: your mom's house phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,904
Total Cats: 613
Default

I think it is you, who is on your own.
hi_im_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,854
Total Cats: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkey View Post
Why can't you just tell me what HP you make at what "boost pressure" (preferably on a stock engine, ofcourse)?
This post could have been great, filled with lots of HP and PSI numbers and maybe a little spec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
because you simply can't. there's about 37,00 variables.
Attached Thumbnails
What HP at what PSI?-warmcircularasiaticwildass.gif  
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #18
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_sean View Post
I think it is you, who is on your own.
I think you're right.
I didn't know how hard it was to type, "I'm making 200hp on my 1.8l at 7psi, with no mad mods. Good luck with your tuning"
What a time to be alive.
emarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #19
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 2,158
Total Cats: 131
Default

I am going to dissent here a little bit.

If the question is - "for the most part, what approximate horsepower have people seen on a dyno at 7psi using a t28 turbo?" I think that question can be answered, especially if you give exactly what variation of a T28 turbo you are talking about and some other variables.

It is my understanding that T28 can be anything from a GT2554 to a 2560, and 7psi on those two turbos is a bit different, or am I mistaken?

Here is the thing though, the culture of MT.net is not to ask questions that can be found with a little digging. Also, if you are running a megasquirt, Doing a 1:1 pull (4th gear on a 5 speed, 5th gear on a 6 speed) over a relatively flat piece of road will give you a better ballpark than we can on the net.
Chiburbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #20
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downmented View Post
Someone clearly isn't a man of his word!
maybe with more effort and desire, I could have walked away.

I'll be sure to find that b***ard who called a dyno a rolling road, and slate him for his sins.
emarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Closed loop boost control starting numbers HeresJohnny MEGAsquirt 14 09-26-2017 09:53 AM
Review: SADFab Delrin Bushing Kit Arca_ex Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 61 05-15-2017 10:57 AM
Coolant leak from M-Tuned re-route Mazdaspeeder Engine Performance 7 04-03-2016 01:54 PM
WTB 2.5" NB Turbo Exhaust hobbes567 WTB 3 04-02-2016 03:12 PM
Stock 99-00 Ecu case thirdgen WTB 2 04-01-2016 02:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.