99-00 engine swap to NA8 , engine alone VS engine + 5 speed difficulty? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 46
Total Cats: -34
Default 99-00 engine swap to NA8 , engine alone VS engine + 5 speed difficulty?

Hi I maybe doing a BP4W engine swap into an NA8 94 , is there less work in the engine only VS the engine + tranny or is there no big difference ?
The low mile engine alone will cost me less & I have one spare 5 speed but if the job is that much easier I will pay a bit more and get the entire thing (engine checked but clutch not)
From what I have read so far it sounds like the engine + tranny maybe easier but I couldn't find direct threads about this particular thing.

Also considering just the head swap but can't buy head alone at this particular junk yard.

Thank you !!!
EunosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #2
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,110
Total Cats: 518
Default

Are you doing it or is a shop? If you're paying there's no huge difference. Personally I'd spend a few minutes to air gun the ppf off and remove the tranny. That way I'd be mating the trans to motor rather than motor to trans if that makes sense. But it's technically a few bolts and wiring clips faster to leave the trans.

If you're doing it, the easy method depends on lift or not. Again drop the trans and pull the engine with a lift. Without its much easier to buy a load leveler from harbor freight and take them out as one.

As for the clutch, if it's unknown or you're planning on turbo later, swapping now saves ~$400 in labor.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 46
Total Cats: -34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Are you doing it or is a shop? If you're paying there's no huge difference. Personally I'd spend a few minutes to air gun the ppf off and remove the tranny. That way I'd be mating the trans to motor rather than motor to trans if that makes sense. But it's technically a few bolts and wiring clips faster to leave the trans.

If you're doing it, the easy method depends on lift or not. Again drop the trans and pull the engine with a lift. Without its much easier to buy a load leveler from harbor freight and take them out as one.

As for the clutch, if it's unknown or you're planning on turbo later, swapping now saves ~$400 in labor.
I will be doing it myself and I most likely wont have a lift unless its highly recommended then I can wait until one of my mechanic friends lets me use their lift before I register the car in their shop , I don't think I will be getting much help as they are usually busy.
I am not planning a turbo on this particular car yet but a reliable daily that will get upgraded from the ground up.

How about the head swap only VS entire engine ? I am in a situation where the donor car will have the head pulled.
EunosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Propwash 16X D/FW, TX
Posts: 31
Total Cats: 2
Default

I leave the trans, its much easier…..but I do have a nice cherry picker with plenty reach.
I do engine swaps often, 4 this year already….so tools are important.
I have one on the stand now, a BP4W going in a 96M.
Really pretty easy, transmissions interchange….The intake is the only real issue.
Several options there, just do your research and pick your flavor.
Rogue_LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Propwash 16X D/FW, TX
Posts: 31
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EunosMonster View Post
How about the head swap only VS entire engine ? I am in a situation where the donor car will have the head pulled.
1994 has 8.8 compression vs 99/00 has 9.5, compression is good.
Rogue_LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,110
Total Cats: 518
Default

Yeah go for the higher compression. And rouge does his thing, but You'll hear probably 50/50 opinion here on what's easier in a garage, trans vs no trans.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,878
Total Cats: 344
Default

This is one of those cases where you're trading off a larger amount of simple work to replace a smaller amount of annoying, fiddly, hard-to-reach work.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 46
Total Cats: -34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_LE View Post
I leave the trans, its much easier…..but I do have a nice cherry picker with plenty reach.
I do engine swaps often, 4 this year already….so tools are important.
I have one on the stand now, a BP4W going in a 96M.
Really pretty easy, transmissions interchange….The intake is the only real issue.
Several options there, just do your research and pick your flavor.
I have access to more old school heavy duty gear as the cars are in a former body shop in Japan , not sure weather more maneuverable compared to a newer US style cherry picker but definitely looks like it could lift a tank ...
Also Intake being the main issue because of ECU & wiring etc ? Please explain more and I can research from there on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Yeah go for the higher compression. And rouge does his thing, but You'll hear probably 50/50 opinion here on what's easier in a garage, trans vs no trans.
Also forgot to mention I like the idea of this engine being so low mile as much as I don't , its low mile because it had sat outside for very long meaning internals look great and it turned over without a fuss but outside its covered in white corrosion and rust on pulleys etc and filthy thermostat and brittle belts and all that.
By the way thanks for the reply's !!!

Uploaded a video of the donor ...

Engine is only about $200 tranny would be another $100 but I have another spare... This car had done only about 30.000 miles can be seen on interior photos.







Attached Thumbnails
99-00 engine swap to NA8 , engine alone VS engine + 5 speed difficulty?-80-img_2057_6831b1ac4484a4db91715471632911ab03e570cc.jpg   99-00 engine swap to NA8 , engine alone VS engine + 5 speed difficulty?-80-img_1973_8bac6668dc9845f15fc7e346719ae0e399b719ac.jpg  
EunosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,110
Total Cats: 518
Default

Yikes. It won't be just belts. Do timing belt, maybe water pump, cam, crank, and rear main seal.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #10
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 46
Total Cats: -34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Yikes. It won't be just belts. Do timing belt, maybe water pump, cam, crank, and rear main seal.
Ye , not sure if I should keep this one , I can change my mind still, its just that clean head and milage thats keeping me interested. Another thing is the price as I know the owner very well at the place thats selling it + they will pull it for me for that price , all up $200 just engine and $100 for the transmission which feels like new.
Vs only replacing the broken water pump (friend thought its thermostat as it sprayed upwards) , belt and seals in the current 60.000 94 motor ...
EunosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 3,878
Total Cats: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Yikes. It won't be just belts. Do timing belt, maybe water pump, cam, crank, and rear main seal.
Radiator...

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,110
Total Cats: 518
Default

Well that's not a concern with the donor car, that's a concern with his car
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you do? Got two NA8 engines but now a rarer BP4W appeared very cheap... EunosMonster General Miata Chat 17 02-11-2016 11:11 PM
Engine removal- from above or below? dwink Engine Performance 25 02-08-2016 05:41 PM
Looking for thread pitch for engine ground Johnny Tater Engine Performance 2 01-26-2016 05:23 AM
Bp engine hardware ? Utefan66 Engine Performance 5 01-25-2016 03:53 PM
NA8 Engine (rebuildable), BP4W Head, BP5A Cam, Fuel Rail/Injectors dcamp2 Miata parts for sale/trade 0 01-04-2016 11:02 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 PM.