All out street build - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #61
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 828
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
My only suggestion would be to tell anyone who wants to talk you out of the 450 rwhp goal to go back to miata.net.
+1 It's soooooo close, I can feel it!
thymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #62
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymer View Post
+1 It's soooooo close, I can feel it!
Thymer was your block ok? We will have a pretty similar setup. There's lots of used hydras for sale now for big discounts. More safety and more power!

How do you like the MS 6 speed?
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #63
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Harrisonburg,VA
Posts: 134
Total Cats: 1
Default

Put some moneys into some stabilization for those high speeds.
Bassmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #64
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 828
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
Thymer was your block ok? We will have a pretty similar setup. There's lots of used hydras for sale now for big discounts. More safety and more power!

How do you like the MS 6 speed?
Block is flat, thank god. Taking this opportunity (scope creep) to do a cooling re-route and oil cooler along with drilling and safety wiring all the turbo fasteners. I hear you on the Hydra but I want to see what the Link can do. If I get used to the HP then I'll move to the Hydra or a Adaptronic.

I reeeeeaaaaly like the 6spd/3.63 combo. Once you get used to the different shifter feel it's great. Fourth gear is wonderful and I can only imagine how crazy it will be once I get the HP I'm looking for.

I completely want one of those new fastbacks for better aero, giant wing, big splitter, orgasmic
thymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #65
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
tyson87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,023
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymer View Post
... big splitter...
isc racing lip.
tyson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #66
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Palm Harbor FL
Posts: 332
Total Cats: 4
Default

I really understand where your coming from, people on every miata board there is has been telling me how 250hp will be more then enough for me. They dont seem to understand that these tampa guys do not play games. The last race car i had was an 89 mustang with a 408 and a 300 shot. It never saw the track once, street only and it still got beat on occasion by some of the real big dawgs. my mustang was 2650lbs and made just under 700whp and just over 800ftlbs, it ran dead nuts even with a lowered stretched gsxr 1000 with sprocket, power commander, exhaust, and air shifter from 40mph-145mph. i too would like to be able to give a near stock 1000 a good run from 40-140 and i think in a slightly lightened up miata it would take just over 500whp and decent traction from 40.
1slowna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #67
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymer View Post
I reeeeeaaaaly like the 6spd/3.63 combo. Once you get used to the different shifter feel it's great.
I agree. It is pretty sweet
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #68
Senior Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 981
Total Cats: 20
Default

what tranny are you going to use to hold 450whp?
mighty mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #69
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty mouse View Post
what tranny are you going to use to hold 450whp?
I'm considering swapping out my six speed for a Mazdaspeed. If I broke a six speed with power I would be kind of proud though considering their "rep" is very good.

I can pick up a pair of Mazdaspeed axles for about $300 but I'm concerned that they're not plug and play with a non-Mazdaspeed diff. Does anyone have any data on that? I think I'll call FM tomorrow; since they posted this pic I hope they have the datas.

Flyin' Miata : Projects : Projects in the shop
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 508
Total Cats: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
I can pick up a pair of Mazdaspeed axles for about $300 but I'm concerned that they're not plug and play with a non-Mazdaspeed diff. Does anyone have any data on that?
The MS axles will only work with the MS diff. The splines are of a different size and tooth number and will not interchange with any other Miata rear end. As a matter of interest, the MS diff internals are essentially the same as in the S2000.
DeerHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #71
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowna View Post
I really understand where your coming from, people on every miata board there is has been telling me how 250hp will be more then enough for me. They dont seem to understand that these tampa guys do not play games. The last race car i had was an 89 mustang with a 408 and a 300 shot. It never saw the track once, street only and it still got beat on occasion by some of the real big dawgs. my mustang was 2650lbs and made just under 700whp and just over 800ftlbs, it ran dead nuts even with a lowered stretched gsxr 1000 with sprocket, power commander, exhaust, and air shifter from 40mph-145mph. i too would like to be able to give a near stock 1000 a good run from 40-140 and i think in a slightly lightened up miata it would take just over 500whp and decent traction from 40.
That's very inspiring, it sounds like an awesome car. I don't know very much about domestics, and not that much about imports too actually. How much does a build like that cost assuming you're buying off the shelf parts and not fabricating things yourself? Fuel injection or carbs? I read about a carb'd mustang with similar power in a recent issued of GRM.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #72
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

I'm having a MSM diff built right now with a 3.6 r&p and OS-Giken LSD, so I should have the Bosch Torsen out of the MSM diff available at some point soon. You need the MSM Bosch Torsen LSD or OSG LSD to use the MSM axles.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #73
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Total Cats: 0
Default

Great looking build.
tehpwnzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #74
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

I'm late to the thread, and I know its already decided, but I will give my $.02 anyway. I can't understand these 350hp+ Miata's running around. Sure its fun to make turbo power, but its so much damn work to build and keep it running. If I was ever going for that kind of power I would be all over an LS1 swap. That would do away with engine reliability, trans and rear end reliability and gearing. All on a stock and reliable setup with maybe a few little bolt ons. I know, its not the same thing as a boosted BP, but I'm all about simple after dealing with so much bullshit with cars over the years. I hope you get it sorted out and running though. Your goals sound a bit grand to me, but if you have the will to make it happen, please do so. This coming from the guy who has never owned or driven a turbo Miata...
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #75
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
I'm late to the thread, and I know its already decided, but I will give my $.02 anyway. I can't understand these 350hp+ Miata's running around. Sure its fun to make turbo power, but its so much damn work to build and keep it running. If I was ever going for that kind of power I would be all over an LS1 swap. That would do away with engine reliability, trans and rear end reliability and gearing. All on a stock and reliable setup with maybe a few little bolt ons. I know, its not the same thing as a boosted BP, but I'm all about simple after dealing with so much bullshit with cars over the years. I hope you get it sorted out and running though. Your goals sound a bit grand to me, but if you have the will to make it happen, please do so. This coming from the guy who has never owned or driven a turbo Miata...


Swap. One word. So easy to say, sounds so simple.



From the FM site:

How long does it take you to build a turn-key car?
It takes us approximately eight to ten weeks to complete a car, depending on options. There is a waiting list so make sure to book well in advance.



************. And that's lawd on da mountin Flyin Miata. If I did a swap on my own it would probably take me four times as long. I think we actually have a member here who has already taken over a year on their swap project and he has way more wrenching experience than I do.

For the turbo I ubolted ****, bolted **** on, unplugged the factory ECU, plugged up the hydra, and drove. It took me about 16 hours of total work and the most I had ever done to a car before was install coilovers and do brakes. For a swap I'd have to tear out the entire driveline, figure out how to mix and match multi-OEM parts, rewire the ******* car (I don't even know how to use a multimeter) etc.

If the option had been around and supported and proven 2 years ago when I installed my turbo, I probably would have seriously considered it. The option was not there though, so I bought the kit with the intention of doing what I am now. At least with my engine swap I'm putting **** back where it came from which is very important to me (so it's easy) considering this is the first car I've ever worked on.

For the record, people with swaps are not driving cars with off-the-lot equivalent corvette reliability. If you read the swap forums you'll find people with all sorts of little problems- just like turbo people. I've even read a few LS threads where people have blown their motors.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #76
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehpwnzor View Post
Great looking build.
Who the hell are you?

This is not my build thread.

Here's the car as of two years ago- no intercooler. Still looks pretty much the same.

Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #77
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I'm having a MSM diff built right now with a 3.6 r&p and OS-Giken LSD, so I should have the Bosch Torsen out of the MSM diff available at some point soon. You need the MSM Bosch Torsen LSD or OSG LSD to use the MSM axles.
Thank you for the info Ben. I actually just bought a carrier with a rx7 clutch type in it. I don't know what the r&p in it is. Assuming I need to get a 3.6 r&p and install it my total cost will be $500. I'll have to see how it and the small axles hold up.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #78
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,923
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
I'll have to see how it and the small axles hold up.
One good thing about the smaller axles is that they are readily available and cheaper than the MSM axles.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 AM   #79
Junior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Makakilo
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
. . . For a swap I'd have to tear out the entire driveline, figure out how to mix and match multi-OEM parts. . .
Aren't you already kind of doing that as it is?
r808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:54 AM   #80
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
Swap. One word. So easy to say, sounds so simple.



From the FM site:

How long does it take you to build a turn-key car?
It takes us approximately eight to ten weeks to complete a car, depending on options. There is a waiting list so make sure to book well in advance.



************. And that's lawd on da mountin Flyin Miata. If I did a swap on my own it would probably take me four times as long. I think we actually have a member here who has already taken over a year on their swap project and he has way more wrenching experience than I do.

For the turbo I ubolted ****, bolted **** on, unplugged the factory ECU, plugged up the hydra, and drove. It took me about 16 hours of total work and the most I had ever done to a car before was install coilovers and do brakes. For a swap I'd have to tear out the entire driveline, figure out how to mix and match multi-OEM parts, rewire the ******* car (I don't even know how to use a multimeter) etc.

If the option had been around and supported and proven 2 years ago when I installed my turbo, I probably would have seriously considered it. The option was not there though, so I bought the kit with the intention of doing what I am now. At least with my engine swap I'm putting **** back where it came from which is very important to me (so it's easy) considering this is the first car I've ever worked on.

For the record, people with swaps are not driving cars with off-the-lot equivalent corvette reliability. If you read the swap forums you'll find people with all sorts of little problems- just like turbo people. I've even read a few LS threads where people have blown their motors.
I fail to see how if you already had the parts stockpiled ready to go, and had the know how and tools to do it, that it would take more than a 2 months of weekend wrenching. I guess it also depends on which kit, as some require cutting and welding, and some do not. Either way, I bet it would come out cheaper and easier in the long run (again, depending on exactly what was being done in each case) by just doing to V8 "swap". Again, not trying to **** on the turbo build or anything, just throwing in my opinion and what I would do. Just thinking of all of the work to build and how much of a pain in the *** it would be for me to maintain a 450-500hp turbo Miata makes me sick. Where as the V8 swap would be some work in the beginning, but once installed, it should in theory be as reliable as any other bolt on LS1 powered car out there, which is pretty damn reliable compared to what a 500hp turbo BP has to be. No worrying about the trans blowing up on you, or the gearing being **** and burning the tires off in second gear (well actually, I bet you could burn the tires off in second... and third and maybe forth), nor worry about blowing a rod out of the block. Maybe its just me though, I like **** to be easy and to be able to have peace of mind when driving.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Hey everyone another n00b here Big_gumby Meet and Greet 80 10-05-2015 05:06 PM
Is my swirl pot design okay? FrankB Race Prep 10 10-02-2015 10:00 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 PM.