Go Back  Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats. > Performance & Tuning > Engine Performance
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "VVT swap into 90-97 chassis" Megathread.

Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Definitive "VVT swap into 90-97 chassis" Megathread.

 
Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 PM
  #141  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,347
Total Cats: 85
Default

No, 94-97 has the regulator on the top and it wont really bolt correctly to the NB head without slotting the mounting holes. maybe its a jdm nb fuel rail.
Leafy is offline  
Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM
  #142  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 141
Total Cats: 11
Default

The one I posted is a 99-00 that I added FPR from a 1.6. I did have to trim down the intake manifold slightly.
gjsmith66 is offline  
Old 04-22-2015, 06:51 PM
  #143  
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: *** BANNED ***
Posts: 9,604
Total Cats: 973
Default

Originally Posted by gjsmith66 View Post
The one I posted is a 99-00 that I added FPR from a 1.6. I did have to trim down the intake manifold slightly.
That's exactly what I was going to say about your pic.

With regards to what Thunderfox posted...

Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Maybe its a jdm nb fuel rail.
I was thinking this as well. The "other market" NBs have goofy fuel systems I haven't quite figured out yet. I actually have a NB regulator from an UK NB2 sitting in my garage. Thunderfox: if you can read the part number off the regulator (and it is a regulator) I can try to verify.
EO2K is offline  
Old 04-22-2015, 06:54 PM
  #144  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portugal
Posts: 200
Total Cats: -12
Default

On top of the regulator, around the pressure reference pipe, it reads 195300-3730 BP58.
ThunderFox is offline  
Old 04-23-2015, 05:33 AM
  #145  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,382
Total Cats: 60
Default

Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
I was thinking this as well. The "other market" NBs have goofy fuel systems I haven't quite figured out yet. I actually have a NB regulator from an UK NB2 sitting in my garage. Thunderfox: if you can read the part number off the regulator (and it is a regulator) I can try to verify.
They are not that goofy, 98-00 have return systems and a rail very similar to the one Thunderfox posted, 01-05 have returnless.
The only real difference I can think of is a slight change to the rail for the non-Squaretop-US market on NB2.
I have used a EUDM 99 rail with a Squaretop with no problems. But when assembling leftovers (to know what parts goes where) the 01 rail did hit he 99 manifold, so the different manifolds can have unique fuel rails.

When will Thunderfox start a build thread?
Attached Thumbnails The Definitive "VVT swap into 90-97 chassis" Megathread.-fuel_rail_eudm99_vs_eudm01.jpg  
NiklasFalk is offline  
Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 AM
  #146  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portugal
Posts: 200
Total Cats: -12
Default

Eh, the one with the red injectors is just like mine it seems!

I have a build thread but it's in another forum. Might start another one once I get all the parts for the engine, and start working on it. Not much to show right now...
ThunderFox is offline  
Old 04-25-2015, 07:08 PM
  #147  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,221
Total Cats: 1,976
Default

The FPR that Thunderfox posted is not a USDM part, as far as I know. The USDM 94-97 FPRs had the vacuum reference on the side, similar to the 90-93 cars but at a different angle that contacts the valve cover. That FPR has a downward facing outlet (desirable) as well as a manifold reference that aims up, which is definitely not ever something we got in the US.

It looks like a factory NB return system, which is exactly what you would want for a VVT swap car. It's still easier for US guys to source a 99-00 rail with a 90-93 FPR, vs. trying to find a 2-year Euro-only fuel rail and ship it over.
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 04-25-2015, 07:18 PM
  #148  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,347
Total Cats: 85
Default

I wonder if that rail and fpr have part numbers on them and if mazda comp can order them.
Leafy is offline  
Old 04-25-2015, 07:20 PM
  #149  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portugal
Posts: 200
Total Cats: -12
Default

I checked, there's no part number aside from the code on top of the FPR... :(
ThunderFox is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 PM
  #150  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 355
Total Cats: 22
Default

It's ALLLLLIVE!!!!!

However, my LC-2 is still acting fucky (grumblegrumble) and I think the wiring for the COP's is still backwards on the front page. I think someone else mentioned it in this thread, but mine would not start until I flipped them.

Also
The 01-05 coils have no provisions for a tachometer output. The AEM Series 1 (30-1710), AEM EMS-4 (30-6905), MSPNP2, MS3-Pro, and all 94+ MSPNP1s have a tachometer driver which will run the factory tach in lieu of the factory coils. For 90-93 MSPNP1 owners, you will need an aftermarket tachometer driver, which can either be added to your ECU or purchased and wired separately. See posts 44 and 62 for more details.
I took this to mean I could just tape over the tacho wire in the factory cas plug. However, my tach doesn't work. What do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Last edited by Morello; 04-28-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Morello is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 PM
  #151  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,221
Total Cats: 1,976
Default

Originally Posted by Uncle Humjaba View Post
It's ALLLLLIVE!!!!!

However, my LC-2 is still acting fucky (grumblegrumble) and I think the wiring for the COP's is still backwards on the front page. I think someone else mentioned it in this thread, but mine would not start until I flipped them.

Also

I took this to mean I could just tape over the tacho wire in the factory cas plug. However, my tach doesn't work. What do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks everyone for all the help!
You mean the trigger wire colors for the 01-05? I'll have a mod change it (I can't edit the OP anymore).

For the tacho, there's no tach wire in the factory CAS plug. If you're on a 90-93, you just need to connect wires #4/5 together at the igniter and it will connect the tach straight to the ECU. On the 94-95 cars, the tach is already connected to the ECU directly. In either case, you may need to provide a 1k pullup resistor to the tach driver to bring everything alive - you can test that by jumpering between B+ and IG- in the diagnostic box before cutting into your harness to add the resistor permanently.
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 09:45 PM
  #152  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 355
Total Cats: 22
Default

Originally Posted by Savington View Post
You mean the trigger wire colors for the 01-05? I'll have a mod change it (I can't edit the OP anymore).

For the tacho, there's no tach wire in the factory CAS plug. If you're on a 90-93, you just need to connect wires #4/5 together at the igniter and it will connect the tach straight to the ECU. On the 94-95 cars, the tach is already connected to the ECU directly. In either case, you may need to provide a 1k pullup resistor to the tach driver to bring everything alive - you can test that by jumpering between B+ and IG- in the diagnostic box before cutting into your harness to add the resistor permanently.
Yes, one of the trigger wire colors is wrong (either on the 94-97 or 01-05, not sure which one). It would crank and crank but as soon as I switched the plugs it fired right up.

Mine is a 95 - so a 1k resistor in B+ and IG- in the diagnostic box, or a straight wire jump?
Morello is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 PM
  #153  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,221
Total Cats: 1,976
Default

What ECU?
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 AM
  #154  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 355
Total Cats: 22
Default

Originally Posted by Savington View Post
What ECU?
Ms3 basic (reverent build)
Morello is offline  
Old 04-30-2015, 08:50 AM
  #155  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melissa, TX
Posts: 172
Total Cats: 20
Default

Did you wire in the tach output from the ECU? It's pin 10 on the db37, you will need to run it to the dash for the tachometer, or what I did, which is remove the tach pin from the ecu harness and connect it to pin 10 on the DB37. If you jumped the tach signal at the ignitor as specified in the OP, it should provide tach to the diagnostic connector and the dash.

I have not tested it yet though.
Ziggo is offline  
Old 04-30-2015, 04:15 PM
  #156  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melissa, TX
Posts: 172
Total Cats: 20
Default

You guys have me all stirred up about the spark wiring.

The coils: Note the white wire coming from the bottom of the 2/3 coil pack and the black\white wire coming from the 1/4 pack



Better view of the bottom of the coils so its clear that at the coils:
White: 2/3 Trigger
Black\White: 1\4 Trigger
Red: +12V



Close up of the connector and mate:
2/3 Trigger: White-> Red
1\4 Trigger: Black\White-> White
+12V: Red->Blue


Assuming the ignitor is wired as expected, that would make the brown\yellow wire, Pin 1G on the ECU (Terminal B on the ignitor) the trigger for 1/4 and the brown wire, Pin 1 H on the ECU (Terminal G on the ignitor) the trigger for 2/3

Which is also the opposite that is documented in the OP. I also found this on the COP thread, which would agree with the above assessment (and is actually how I am wiring mine up, I removed the white/red wire from the bundle, I am running Brown\Yellow directly to the 1\4 Trigger and the Brown directly to the 2/3 Trigger.

Attached Thumbnails The Definitive "VVT swap into 90-97 chassis" Megathread.-20150430_145206.jpg   The Definitive "VVT swap into 90-97 chassis" Megathread.-20150430_145149.jpg   The Definitive "VVT swap into 90-97 chassis" Megathread.-20150430_145143.jpg  
Ziggo is offline  
Old 04-30-2015, 06:47 PM
  #157  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 355
Total Cats: 22
Default

Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post
You guys have me all stirred up about the spark wiring.

The coils: Note the white wire coming from the bottom of the 2/3 coil pack and the black\white wire coming from the 1/4 pack



Better view of the bottom of the coils so its clear that at the coils:
White: 2/3 Trigger
Black\White: 1\4 Trigger
Red: +12V



Close up of the connector and mate:
2/3 Trigger: White-> Red
1\4 Trigger: Black\White-> White
+12V: Red->Blue


Assuming the ignitor is wired as expected, that would make the brown\yellow wire, Pin 1G on the ECU (Terminal B on the ignitor) the trigger for 1/4 and the brown wire, Pin 1 H on the ECU (Terminal G on the ignitor) the trigger for 2/3

Which is also the opposite that is documented in the OP. I also found this on the COP thread, which would agree with the above assessment (and is actually how I am wiring mine up, I removed the white/red wire from the bundle, I am running Brown\Yellow directly to the 1\4 Trigger and the Brown directly to the 2/3 Trigger.

I actually posted the wiring diagram for this back in post 5 but I worded it backwards, and so that must have made it into the op. If a moderator switches the labels for the 94-97 trigger wires, it will be correct.

Rev said to route that wire over to the db37 pin 10 as well. I have to wonder though, if it's already on the ecu, why not can't it use the pin that's already there?
Morello is offline  
Old 04-30-2015, 09:42 PM
  #158  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,221
Total Cats: 1,976
Default

Depending on which 95 you have (OBDI or II), it may not be routed to the factory connector inside the ECU. If Rev says wire it to pin 10, do that.
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 04-30-2015, 10:09 PM
  #159  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,221
Total Cats: 1,976
Default

Ok, I had Trey un-**** the 90-93 wire colors. I'll hand-verify the 01-05 wire colors later this week. Can someone verify that the 94-97 trigger colors are correct?
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 PM
  #160  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 355
Total Cats: 22
Default

Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Depending on which 95 you have (OBDI or II), it may not be routed to the factory connector inside the ECU. If Rev says wire it to pin 10, do that.
That's the plan (in California right now for the tudor race). Just thought it'd be a nice feature for future versions - didn't realize that was changed with the switch to OBD2.

Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Ok, I had Trey un-**** the 90-93 wire colors. I'll hand-verify the 01-05 wire colors later this week. Can someone verify that the 94-97 trigger colors are correct?
Trigger cyl 1/4: brown/yellow
Trigger cyl 2/3: brown
Verified on my 95
Morello is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Definitive "VVT swap into 90-97 chassis" Megathread.


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.