First turbo'ed Track Day Considerations... - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Exclamation First turbo'ed Track Day Considerations...

Hi everybody!

As I posted somewhere else here, I recently boosted my 2004 1.8 engine with a brand new HKS kit @ 6psi.

After running it for 500 miles I decided to go trackdayn' last saturday and here I'm reporting my considerations:

- obviously I found a very big difference between the athmosferic stock config and the turbo one... the car is yet really better, revving under fixed 6 psi boost up to 7000rpm

-the AFR was steady on 10.8 value, with the "stock" HKS piggyback f con mini setup, is it too much?

-on track I averaged 7 MPG (too low for 6 psi??)

-MY LAP TIME IMPROVED ABOUT 2,5 SECONDS ON A 1,55 MILES TRACK ( www.autodromomagione.it )

- AFTER SEVEN MINUTES OF THE FIRST 20' MORNING SHIFT THE TURBO STARTED TO WHISTLE QUITE LOUD, IT HAD NEVER DONE IT BEFORE AND IT CONTINUED WHISTLING LIKE THAT ALSO IN THE SECOND 20' SHIFT, AND IT SEEMS ALSO ON THE WAY HOME, WHEN UNDER FULL BOOST...

WHAT HAPPENED???? IS IT NORMAL BECAUSE OF THE "FIRST WEAR"?

One question is about the head cover oil vapour line... should i plug it to the compressor inlet so that the oil vapour lubricates the compressor wheel? or this would raise intake ai temps and be dangerous for detonation?

Actually the oil vapour ends in a plastic catch tank...

Air temperature was about 40F all day and also thanks to the HKS big oil cooler and the 3" water cooler water temp never went over normal position.

Please give me the most advices you can.

thank you

Simone
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Elite AbsurdFlow Member
 
Laur3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Enschede, NL
Posts: 2,058
Total Cats: 11
Default

You probably have a leak between turbo and manifold. Start the engine when cold and check with a piece of paper near turbo and manifold where exhaust gasses escape. Then search this forum for the lengthy thread about nuts/studs loosening and get yourself some 304 stainless hardware or weld it up.
Laur3ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

your studs still tight spooky or is there another excuses you're not breaking under 2.00 minutes at zandvoort?

and here: https://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t35874/
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
- obviously I found a very big difference between the athmosferic stock config and the turbo one... the car is yet really better, revving under fixed 6 psi boost up to 7000rpm
"atmospheric"

Quote:
-the AFR was steady on 10.8 value, with the "stock" HKS piggyback f con mini setup, is it too much?
yes, you more than likely were richer than this number but that's as far as your o2 sensor would report.

Quote:
-on track I averaged 7 MPG (too low for 6 psi??)
see above.

Quote:
- AFTER SEVEN MINUTES OF THE FIRST 20' MORNING SHIFT THE TURBO STARTED TO WHISTLE QUITE LOUD, IT HAD NEVER DONE IT BEFORE AND IT CONTINUED WHISTLING LIKE THAT ALSO IN THE SECOND 20' SHIFT, AND IT SEEMS ALSO ON THE WAY HOME, WHEN UNDER FULL BOOST...

WHAT HAPPENED???? IS IT NORMAL BECAUSE OF THE "FIRST WEAR"?
Check for leaks, record the noise and upload the video to youtube for us to hear. This is not normal, not enough to go on for us to pinpoint the issue.


Quote:
One question is about the head cover oil vapour line... should i plug it to the compressor inlet so that the oil vapour lubricates the compressor wheel? or this would raise intake ai temps and be dangerous for detonation?
It should be plumbed to your intake tube before the compressor. It's not done this way to oil the compressor wheel, but to help vent the valve cover from pressure that builds up. How do you have it now?
Quote:
Actually the oil vapour ends in a plastic catch tank...
got a pic?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Elite AbsurdFlow Member
 
Laur3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Enschede, NL
Posts: 2,058
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
your studs still tight spooky or is there another excuses you're not breaking under 2.00 minutes at zandvoort?
Still rocking 275hp at the crank, but the car itself is in pieces. The cage is in, but the wiring is not, nor are the seats, dashboard, harness or anything else that matters.

Ton will be rocking the Time Attack later this year at Zandvoort. We'll be setting the target at or near 2min with around 300hp.

Yea, that one.
Laur3ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookyfish View Post
You probably have a leak between turbo and manifold. Start the engine when cold and check with a piece of paper near turbo and manifold where exhaust gasses escape. Then search this forum for the lengthy thread about nuts/studs loosening and get yourself some 304 stainless hardware or weld it up.
Thank you very much! Hope that is the only problem, I was wondering about too much shaft play...
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
thanks for the link!
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
"atmospheric"

Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
yes, you more than likely were richer than this number but that's as far as your o2 sensor would report.
I use an Innovate LC-1 wideband... it should go up to 8.35 but I don't know if it can...

WHICH AFR VALUE IS CORRECT FOR A NOT INTERCOOLED 6 PSI BOOSTED ENGINE??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post

Check for leaks, record the noise and upload the video to youtube for us to hear. This is not normal, not enough to go on for us to pinpoint the issue.
I HAVE CAMERA CARS, I WILL PUT THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post



It should be plumbed to your intake tube before the compressor. It's not done this way to oil the compressor wheel, but to help vent the valve cover from pressure that builds up. How do you have it now?
got a pic?
There's a pipe from the head that ends in a simple plastic oil can with some holes, if the head pressure goes above the atmospheric one oil vapour go out from it, my mechanic thought the engine could have "breath" too much oil in the suggested config...

I will put pictures on...
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

You can always route the vent line to a catch can then into the intake tract before the compressor. This will allow the oil to be cought in the can and not go into the intake.

Have a great day,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Freehold, NJ
Posts: 1,577
Total Cats: -2
Default

you should get an intercooler too that'll also help in keeping temps down and ebay ones work just fine. ~200 shipped for decent size core and a universal piping kit...
disturbedfan121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfornachon View Post
You can always route the vent line to a catch can then into the intake tract before the compressor. This will allow the oil to be cought in the can and not go into the intake.

Have a great day,
Jared
This could be a solution to improve it...

But do you think that with the simple can won't be enough??

Bye

Simone
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedfan121 View Post
you should get an intercooler too that'll also help in keeping temps down and ebay ones work just fine. ~200 shipped for decent size core and a universal piping kit...
Do they work fine and provide the right reliability?

I will surely upgrade in the future to intercooled, also raising the pressure to 8 psi...

What is the intercooler better size that can fit under the miata bumper?

Do you have one bought on ebay?

Bye

Simone
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

Here are the videos:

1 hot lap chasing a Ferrari F430 Spider


2 Weird turbo whistle
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #14
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

Oil can images:







simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

Nobody wants to answer more??

Please go on!!!
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #16
Elite AbsurdFlow Member
 
Laur3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Enschede, NL
Posts: 2,058
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyfish View Post
you probably have a leak between turbo and manifold. Start the engine when cold and check with a piece of paper near turbo and manifold where exhaust gasses escape. Then search this forum for the lengthy thread about nuts/studs loosening and get yourself some 304 stainless hardware or weld it up.
this
Laur3ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'm going to check tomorrow in the morning...
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 17
Default

I'm willing to bet atleast 2\4 studs are busted.
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ITALY - SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO
Posts: 47
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
I'm willing to bet atleast 2\4 studs are busted.
Do you mean the studs are to tighten or to throw away...?
simonetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #20
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

Have you read the epic nut and bolt thread? If not read it then inspect your car. If you still have questions then reinspect your car and check bolts and nuts. After you have inspected everything and tried to tighten all bolts and nuts and you still have questions then take pictures specifically of what you have questions on and post them. It is that simple.

Have a great day,
Jared

Last edited by Jfornachon; 01-29-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: eddited to be nice.
Jfornachon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
01-05 Fab9 PNP COPs (used) FrankB Miata parts for sale/trade 6 09-30-2015 12:48 PM
why is my car running like pewp? (tune/datalog) itsMikey MSPNP 3 09-28-2015 07:40 AM
Recommended Tire Temp for best friction thumpetto007 Race Prep 4 09-27-2015 06:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 AM.