Terrible news - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

You're right... They're 9.5:1. I retract the previous statement.

The other differences still apply.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Posts: 1,038
Total Cats: 157
Default

Point being....its NOT just a 99-00 motor.
TNTUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bonita springs florida
Posts: 337
Total Cats: -107
Default

so i have decided to swap in a 1.8 with a new clutch and a ms. As for the dash, Ibought a 96 for $900, and parted it out. my dash had a huge crack all the way down the middle and looked like crap. why not put in a mint one i have sitting in my garage? it looks much better. im not to concerend with the weight added, il take twenty more pounds for a clean interior.
Hahnlsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,702
Total Cats: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTUBA View Post
Point being....its NOT just a 99-00 motor.
True - but, the other point being that it's still NOT worth the 2k they fetch for them, and you are better off going with a 99-00 motor for cheap and building it.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,702
Total Cats: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnlsquid View Post
so i have decided to swap in a 1.8 with a new clutch and a ms. As for the dash, Ibought a 96 for $900, and parted it out. my dash had a huge crack all the way down the middle and looked like crap. why not put in a mint one i have sitting in my garage? it looks much better. im not to concerend with the weight added, il take twenty more pounds for a clean interior.
I'd keep my cracked 90 dash over putting the fugly 94-97 one in. However if you like it, i'd agree the weight isn't a huge deal. Just remove the passenger airbag before you put it in.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

To the OP.
If you are prepared to spend 3K or so just buy a bad 1.8 and build it to your liking, makes more sense than a MSM motor any day of the week.
Otherwise, find a decent used 1.8 and boost as is.
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnlsquid View Post
il take twenty more pounds for a clean interior.
We don like your kind round 'ere.
Vilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,524
Total Cats: 27
Default

Your spelling...
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arl. Texas
Posts: 937
Total Cats: 23
Default

Now that's funny cause it true. Funny none the less.

1.8 and MS and you can't go wrong, period.

I wish I had the capital to buy lots of MSX, 1.8s, and Torsen swaps. I could sell package deals at low low prices, $$$$$ and Profit?
Miater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 134
Total Cats: -19
Default

I actually did what the OP did with the dash. I swapped in the 94-97 Dash. Honestly I think it looks much nicer and much more modern. Everyone has their preferences and we're not all so worried about 20 pounds. I honestly hate the 1.6 dash. It look and feels cheap to me. But again, that's my opinion. Which I'm entitled to. Just like the OP

I just noticed that everyone on MT.net is an English teacher.
ReplaceDisplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,049
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplaceDisplace View Post
I just noticed that everyone on MT.net is an English teacher.
No, just the majority of the "valuable" posters here respect the place enough to use proper grammar, spelling, formatting and punctuation, at least to the best of their ability. (run-on sentence?) Those same posters love to ridicule those who do not.
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #32
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 1,353
Total Cats: 65
Default

I am personally building a 1.6 lnc. For a few reasons, 1) I already had bought my hotside 2) I just want to see how much power this thing will make 3) it's what the car came with, so I decided to stick with that.

I see a few possibilities in my future if I am not happy with the power output. Do a LS swap and build the motor for NA, lots a compression, cam, head work blah blah blah or do a single turbo LS. I am leaning towards the second option. Boost is just so much fun.

Personally I wouldn't spend any money on a 1.8. If anything other than a 1.6 is getting swapped into my car it will be a LS series engine. I know it takes away from the character of the car ("it's not a Miata," "it has a chevy," "it's has a v8") but I don't really care anymore.
RyanRaduechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 555
Default

Heretic! Burn him!
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #34
Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Total Cats: -6
Default

You can find a Mazdaspeed miata motor for around $2000. You can have a mazdaspeed miata motor running 210whp with just simple upgrades so it will be a huge step up in power, and probably cheaper than a turbo kit. That is if you are happy with the OEM turbo charger.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Total Cats: 154
Default

You can get a 99-00 motor for less than $1000 easy and buy an artech mani and ebay or used garrett turbo with the additional 1k. Then you can buy all the other parts you were gonna have to buy anyway to get the MSM engine to 210whp and you would be at 250-260hp only limited by the stock bottom end.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #36
Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Total Cats: -6
Default

I disagree Ryan. All you need to get a mazdaspeed motor to 210whp is and intake, full exhaust, boost controller and o2 mod. There are quite a few motors available too. They will naturally be more expensive than a regular block. However you also have the Mazda oil lines built into the block from the factory. Now they even have flashes for the msm ecu which they haven't had in the beginning.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #37
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,840
Total Cats: 1,786
Default

still stuck with ihi. until it blows i guess
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #38
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz View Post
I disagree Ryan. All you need to get a mazdaspeed motor to 210whp is and intake, full exhaust, boost controller and o2 mod. There are quite a few motors available too. They will naturally be more expensive than a regular block. However you also have the Mazda oil lines built into the block from the factory. Now they even have flashes for the msm ecu which they haven't had in the beginning.
Yes but now you're buying and engine and an ecu. And I dont believe the msm ecu is pnp with the 1990 harness. So either a patch harness, significant rewire, or harness swap would be required and now we're talking about a serious time and money commitment to just get a really really turrable ecu.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #39
Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Total Cats: -6
Default

Yea I suppose you are right with the wiring. The ecu won't cost you a dime however. And the flashes definitely make it more practical. However I know there have been a few guys on the Mazda-speed forums that have done the swap in a na without any hang ups
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #40
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
mr_hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 799
Total Cats: 25
Default

The reason the MSM ECU won't cost you a dime is because any of us would be happy to give you one. They are horrible pieces of **** and the only people running them on purpose are stuck with OBDII and don't feel like changing injectors out every year. To swap it into an NA, you would need to put the entire engine harness in and believe me, the ONLY reason to do that is if you simply want a project.

There are plenty of unique things about an MSM but the engine itself isn't one of them. Despite the cool valve cover that say 'Turbo' (+3whp) and a shiny oil cap that says 'Mazdaspeed' (+2whp to offset the weight of the cap), it's a '99 motor with VTCS (fail) instead of VICS (win).

The turbo on my track car has the upgraded wheel and has seen more track time than any IHI I know of. It's cracking pretty badly and I just hope it lasts the season because I don't have the budget for an upgrade this year. I have a stock spare but I'd be giving up 30whp and a bunch of top end. It's not a long term turbo for the track at >250whp. Do the 1.8 but don't bother with MSM parts unless you get them for the same price as the other stuff and skip the IHI turbo altogether.
mr_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obligation Joe Perez Current Events, News, Politics 118 11-30-2016 01:24 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM
IT Pros: HELP! Al Jazeera something something Brighthouse Account sixshooter Insert BS here 11 09-01-2015 11:51 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.