Post your Computer Specs. - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Gaming Discuss to your nerdy heart's content

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shalimar, FL
Posts: 965
Total Cats: 7
Default

A little dated but runs BF3 almost maxed (AA is low/med) at 1920x1080.





Yes my desk is a $40 folding table. The chair was $140, though. Priorities.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 @ 3.52GHz stable
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
6GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
ATI HD6950 @ ~880 core, 1300 mem
3x250GB Seagate something or others from 2007 in RAID 5.
Corsair 850w PSU
Razer Lycosa Keyboard...much win
Logitech MX1000 I think. It's old.

Asus 10" EeePC for the tuning

MSI WindPad 110w currently missing via RMA for exchange. Kind of toying with creating a mount for this in the car. Touchscreen? Big display gauges? Because I can? Yes.

So with all these badass rigs...why is the MT BF3 platoon so small?
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 1,127
Total Cats: 38
Default

Laptop

i7-2670QM (2.2-3.1 Ghz)
8gb ram
nvidia 570m 1.5gb
1920x1080 res screen
120gb ocz vertex 3 ssd
500gb 7200rpm hd
aaronc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,164
Total Cats: 1,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahx View Post
Yes my desk is a $40 folding table. The chair was $140, though. Priorities.
Hehe. Don't feel too bad. My office desk is an old door. (It's a very nice door, and I'm sure it was quite expensive at one time, but it's a door none the less.)
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,292
Total Cats: 180
Default

Laptop:
i3
4gb ram
320gb HD

Desktop:
i7 2700k
Gigabyte G1 Sniper2 Z68 MB
SeaSonic X850
G.Skill 4x2 DDR 1866
120GB SSD
GTX 580
2TBx2 Raid 0
NZXT Phantom Case
Logitech G930
Logitech 920
Logitech G9x
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,414
Total Cats: 55
Default

17" Macbook Pro ... 2008 I think

Runs better and cooler than the part-for-part identical PC that I built before switching to a laptop.

PC...HA!
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #26
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shalimar, FL
Posts: 965
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymx5 View Post
17" Macbook Pro ... 2008 I think

Runs better and cooler than the part-for-part identical PC that I built before switching to a laptop.

PC...HA!
Part-for-part? So you installed the guts of a 2008 Macbook Pro into a tower case?

...Mac users...

/flamesuiton
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #27
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,414
Total Cats: 55
Default

Damn! you got me!

Same spec parts, different platforms.
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahx View Post
Part-for-part? So you installed the guts of a 2008 Macbook Pro into a tower case?

...Mac users...

/flamesuiton
You know, with as much ---- as Macs get, I have to give them serious props for one feature.

An actually useful command line. ---- GUIs. ---- Windows and their GUI-ruled paradigm.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #29
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shalimar, FL
Posts: 965
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymx5 View Post
Damn! you got me!

Same spec parts, different platforms.
I was more trying to make a point that it was a rather silly comparison. Also, there tends to be mobile and desktop versions of different CPUs. Spec'd similarly but nonetheless there are TDP differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
You know, with as much ---- as Macs get, I have to give them serious props for one feature.

An actually useful command line. ---- GUIs. ---- Windows and their GUI-ruled paradigm.
My experience with Mac/Unix CLI is about nil. I can stumble around enough in Linux and I used to be mostly proficient in Windows (not that there is much to do). If it's at all like Linux I'd have to agree there.

I've never had an issue with the software on either platform. I think each is capable of doing whatever the user may need today, although Windows has historically been the better gaming platform by a wide margin. I don't like closed hardware and paying a premium for style. As a general rule however, I've usually said that if you want to be productive (business) stick with a Windows platform. Also the Apple commercials. Dirty hipsters get off mah lawn!
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

If the development tools I need for my profession existed for the Mac, I'd switch over in a heartbeat (Software engineer by trade). A command line is well worth the premium for me.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #31
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,292
Total Cats: 180
Default

Plz don't turn this into a OS debate.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #32
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,164
Total Cats: 1,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
You know, with as much ---- as Macs get, I have to give them serious props for one feature.

An actually useful command line. ---- GUIs. ---- Windows and their GUI-ruled paradigm.
I am approximately as confused by reading this as I would be if I looked down into the toilet bowl and found that I had just shat out three talking iguanas with strong opinions on EU monetary policy.


Anyway, I guess I should post some specs...

My main desktop PC has a Core i5-750 sitting on an Intel DP55WP motherboard, running at the rated clock speed. 8 GB of RAM, a cheap-**** video card, a 40 GB Intel SSD as the boot volume, a 500 GB Hitachi as the data drive, and a 1 TB Seagate as a backup drive. Nothing super-fancy.

The media machine has some random CPU which I had lying around (I think it's a P4) mounted on a cheap motherboard I bought at Frys, with 2GB RAM, a 300 GB hard drive as the boot volume (I had it lying around), and a 2 TB drive for the video.

The only thing fancy about the aforementioned is that they are extremely quiet. Nothing but low RPM, sleeve-bearing 120mm fans everywhere, including the CPU and power supply.

Le laptop is a Dell E4200. Core2Duo (SU9600) CPU, 5GB RAM, 128GB SSD.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #33
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,430
Total Cats: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
If the development tools I need for my profession existed for the Mac, I'd switch over in a heartbeat (Software engineer by trade). A command line is well worth the premium for me.
It's shitty. In previous job, I was the sys admin and generic IT guy. Anything from networks to new software development (C++ and SQL). I went from Linux (from '94) to Mac OS in 2003, switched back to Linux in 2004. I couldn't stand it.
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
TorqueZombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 1,668
Total Cats: 63
Default

New as of today laptop,
Intel i3-2350M
4gb ddr3 ram -might jam another 4 in it later
320gb hard drive
15.6in screen
and a wopping 2 usb ports woooo
My 5yr old one just fried and school hit this week. Couldn't find a better one for less within reason. Don't PC game anymore, thats the 360's job. Just need something that works and doesn't suck for a couple years until school gets crazy.
TorqueZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
It's shitty. In previous job, I was the sys admin and generic IT guy. Anything from networks to new software development (C++ and SQL). I went from Linux (from '94) to Mac OS in 2003, switched back to Linux in 2004. I couldn't stand it.
Wow, this is news to me. I had assumed that considering MacOSX is BSD, it would have at least a BSD-level of CLI ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I am approximately as confused by reading this as I would be if I looked down into the toilet bowl and found that I had just shat out three talking iguanas with strong opinions on EU monetary policy.
<3 Joe for that comparison, it made me lol IRL. For me, development is optimal if I never have to take my hands off the keyboard. Ever. If I get into a Windows environment, I have to constantly move my right hand back and forth between mouse and keyboard. Given enough time and enough movement, this can actually cause my wrist to start hurting. (Not-so-ninja edit: I.e., (nano/emacs/vi/whatever your poison is) +foo bar.cpp, make, gdb compared to having to move my hand to click on all sorts of ----.)

It's actually physically painful for me to develop in an entirely GUI-based (i.e. Windows) environment compared to *nix/BSD-based.

Last edited by blaen99; 01-13-2012 at 05:31 AM.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #36
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,292
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueZombie View Post
New as of today laptop,
Intel i3-2350M
4gb ddr3 ram -might jam another 4 in it later
320gb hard drive
15.6in screen
and a wopping 2 usb ports woooo
My 5yr old one just fried and school hit this week. Couldn't find a better one for less within reason. Don't PC game anymore, thats the 360's job. Just need something that works and doesn't suck for a couple years until school gets crazy.
What brand/model?
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #37
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,164
Total Cats: 1,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
<3 Joe for that comparison, it made me lol IRL. For me, development is optimal if I never have to take my hands off the keyboard. Ever. If I get into a Windows environment, I have to constantly move my right hand back and forth between mouse and keyboard. Given enough time and enough movement, this can actually cause my wrist to start hurting. (Not-so-ninja edit: I.e., (nano/emacs/vi/whatever your poison is) +foo bar.cpp, make, gdb compared to having to move my hand to click on all sorts of ----.)

It's actually physically painful for me to develop in an entirely GUI-based (i.e. Windows) environment compared to *nix/BSD-based.
I understand completely. As someone who grew up in a text-based world, I still spend a lot of time in DOS-boxes, which for some reason seems to astound and confuse my co-workers.

What I meant was that I was surprised to hear someone with your background praising MacOS on the grounds of having a powerful CLI. Admittedly, the last time I was heavily involved in Mac-usage was on the Centris / Quadra machines (running OS 7, if I recall correctly), and my experience with those machines was not a kind one.

I have used the newer machines, but only in an incidental capacity, so I don't have any experience with their CLI. I can't recally having ever seen anyone use it, in fact. Is it really that much better than the DOS implementation in the current Windows builds?
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #38
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I understand completely. As someone who grew up in a text-based world, I still spend a lot of time in DOS-boxes, which for some reason seems to astound and confuse my co-workers.
Seriously? GUI-based development is so slow, the only really useful instances of GUI-based development I can think of is for training wheels to learn it... then again, I learned BASIC a loong time ago from DOS CLI, and C from Linux CLI almost as long ago, so I could be biased in that respect since I taught myself from a CLI and not a GUI.

Quote:
What I meant was that I was surprised to hear someone with your background praising MacOS on the grounds of having a powerful CLI. Admittedly, the last time I was heavily involved in Mac-usage was on the Centris / Quadra machines (running OS 7, if I recall correctly), and my experience with those machines was not a kind one.

I have used the newer machines, but only in an incidental capacity, so I don't have any experience with their CLI. I can't recally having ever seen anyone use it, in fact. Is it really that much better than the DOS implementation in the current Windows builds?
Frankly, I have little experience with the Mac. I know it's based on BSD, and I use the ever-lovin'----- out of BSD (And *nix in general..). As a result, I had (apparently incorrectly, as per Reverant) assumed that Macs had a BSD-like CLI. The only time I ever use a Mac is to test for if code works/compiles correctly cross-platform, then turn it over to QA and the junior programmers to fix my ----.

But better than the DOS implementation in current Windows builds? ANYTHING is better than the DOS implementation in current Windows builds. Windows has a giant hardon for the hatred of CLI for some reason. I'll be lucky if I can launch a (GUI-based) IDE from DOS.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #39
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 528
Total Cats: 24
Default

OSX does have a fantastic CLI, the only problems with it is that Apple took /etc and fucked it by replacing text files with goofball managers. For some things anyway, fstab being one of them. Being able to 'ssh [email protected]' was one of the reasons my Windows XP laptop got replaced with a MacBook few years ago. ps, awk, grep, kill, and rest the good stuff is still there. If there's anything not included by default it's easy enough to install (DarwinPorts MacPorts)

Keeping somewhat on topic...
Macbook (non-pro) 13"
Intel Core2Duo @ 1.somethingGhz
2GB RAM
~300GB HDD
midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #40
Guest
 
2Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 95
Total Cats: -102
Default

Asus G53JW-A1 Laptop
Intel Core i7 720QM 1.73GHz Auto Overclock as high as 3.33GHz
HM55 Chipset
DDR3 1333MHz came with 6GB Now has 16GB
GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
2x 500GB hard drive
15.6" Screen
Sold all gaming consoles and I still like to play once in a while but needed the mobility. So I got this and couldn't be happier. Runs Skyrim, MW3, etc. on highest settings.
2Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buzzing from driver side of engine bay? (MS3 install) nick470 MEGAsquirt 7 06-16-2017 01:53 PM


Tags
computers, cpu, gaming, motherboard, specs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 PM.