949Racing track day project car - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #41
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default

Shave=cheap

Fine if the revs and heat are low, as they will be in this engine. I could free up another probably 4-7hp by adding lighter, tighter fitting forged coated pistons with the same CR. But that's money I didn't feel like spending.

I also have sort of a personal goal to see how much power I can make with 100% factory internals. I'm doing the exhintake with stock gears to start with. I've got a config that has stock exhaust timing but exintake set for about 35° overlap. Compared to the stock 17°, that should yield a halfway decent idle and a bunch more above 5200. If it sux, I'll add some Maruha gears and take it back to the dyno.

The experimenting, and prototyping I'm doing for production parts takes most of my meager cash reserves so this car's jobs is to be cheap, fun and reliable.

Saving the bigger expenses for the 99 turbo that is a dusty figment of my imagination in the back of the shop. When this 90 is running an dialed, I'll start again on the 99. It's about 80% complete now but it'll come back down to the frame to get gutted and seam welded, cage put in etc.. next year
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #42
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

so this isn't a competition car per se, just a "fun track day car" or maybe an informal time trial car?

oh and i thought i saw a kevlar disk on your website for the build. get rid of that and get a cerametallic disk. kevlar sucks for any miata application you could think of.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #43
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,244
Total Cats: 291
Default

This project is missing a down-force strategy. Put some load on the those front tires into braking zones and through turns and you'll have smaller tire working as well as larger size w/o rolling friction on the straights. Good for "low power" NA cars.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:05 AM   #44
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
so this isn't a competition car per se, just a "fun track day car" or maybe an informal time trial car?

oh and i thought i saw a kevlar disk on your website for the build. get rid of that and get a cerametallic disk. kevlar sucks for any miata application you could think of.
Not my experience. I like Kevlar. Used within it's intended torque capacity and bed in properly, it's works beautifully.

The Kevlar disc is almost 1 lb lighter than a cerametallic disc and incorporates a marcel that the cerametallics do not. Remember, I don't drag race or autocross, have maybe 145ft/bs and low disc MOI is key for syncro life and shift speed.

I'll use it for track days andTime Attack but being rwd I have to go up against Vettes, 500hp S14's, Evo's and the like. Closer match to the EG/K20 swaps out there but who said Time Attack rules make any sense?

Down the road I'll build another Miata for ITA to campaign out here.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 112
Total Cats: 0
Default

Really good to see you planning to run the 6 speed/4:3 diff combo and with a light 1600 flywheel. This is the setup in mine atm and it as absolutely fantastic!
zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #46
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Not my experience. I like Kevlar. Used within it's intended torque capacity and bed in properly, it's works beautifully.

The Kevlar disc is almost 1 lb lighter than a cerametallic disc and incorporates a marcel that the cerametallics do not. Remember, I don't drag race or autocross, have maybe 145ft/bs and low disc MOI is key for syncro life and shift speed.

I'll use it for track days andTime Attack but being rwd I have to go up against Vettes, 500hp S14's, Evo's and the like. Closer match to the EG/K20 swaps out there but who said Time Attack rules make any sense?

Down the road I'll build another Miata for ITA to campaign out here.
really? sub 200 hp miata vs. any <5 year old vette? that's nuts. you'd spend more getting a miata to beat a vette than getting a vette.

I suppose I never had a kevlar clutch in a sub 2000 lb car with not a lot of hp. I understood kevlar was for high mileage/low maintenance and just super easy to glaze. in my [heavy] [turbo] alltrac, it wasn't very fun.

I did really like the twin disk cerametallic on the track though. the whole thing (including flywheel) was like 18-20 lbs with a very low MOI. Course with the two organics it's a little less... but it drives like a dream. the marcel helps a bunch as well.


Matt
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #47
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
really? sub 200 hp miata vs. any <5 year old vette? that's nuts.
Not if you would rather drive a Miata it isn't.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:37 PM   #48
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Not if you would rather drive a Miata it isn't.
not nuts for the miata guy, nuts of them to not balance it out more... but I guess it's more like an open class.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #49
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default

Oh yah, classing is usually rudimentary. I should be going up against the motor swap Civics but the rwd puts me against all rwd cars. Depends on the promoter though. NASA has a more realistic structure but the magazine and redline "Tuner" events are often like 4 classes to cover everything.

I'd do it just for fun though. Even if I had the $80k budget to build a giant killer, I wouldn't. Frankly, I don't know what elses to do with the 99. Poor little car sitting there on jackstands...

I'll do some tima attacks with the 90 when it's done. That should be really fun.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #50
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default Autokonexion hood and trunk

Mike Eguina dropped of my Autokonexion hood and trunk lid Saturday. 14.7 lbs for the vented but gill-less hood and 7.7 lbs for the trunklid. I'm pinning them both so I should be able to cut away some reinforcements, latch and hinge bosses underneath. By the time I lose the hinges and latch mechanisms on the body I think I'll have shaved about 25-30 lbs.

The trunk lid has a nice 3-4 " ducktail that should work well with the wing I'll run on some tracks. Good finish, gel coat top and bottom. Should be easy to paint. I'll probably do it myself with a cheap little Wagner gun I have. I'll post a pic of the pieces sitting on the car next week.

Second Ultrashield came in a few days ago. Ordered 17". I fit better in a 16" but a lot of the other people that will want to drive it might not.

It's buried under a pile of 6UL's I'm still shipping out so no work on the car for probably 5 more days.

Went to the Pro Solo at El Toro to hang out and deliver a bunch of 15x7.5's to what seemed like every STS2 Miata. Saw George Douganis doing well in his CSP Miata, 15x9's with 275's. After watch his, Kubo's and Schenkers cars on the 275's I'm smitten. I want a set of 275 R6's for the 90 now darn it!
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post


Actually they are not spherical rod ends, just urethane bushings of slightly harder durometer than the stock 90-97 links. The factory 99-05 are spherical bearing. I've seen the RB links bind and break and don't recommend them.
Beware of the 99+ endlinks, i broke several of them....shitty design. Not to mention that side by side with a 90-97, the NA endlink is far beefier then the 99+.
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #52
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
Beware of the 99+ endlinks, i broke several of them....shitty design. Not to mention that side by side with a 90-97, the NA endlink is far beefier then the 99+.
All my cars use Gearheads Garage spherical bearing end links
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM   #53
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 399
Total Cats: 0
Default

man 275s thats gotta look awesome..
teknikscian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #54
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default

Few weeks ago Mike Eguina dropped off my Autokonexion vented FRP hood and FRP trunklid. White gel coat, I'll shoot them red to match. The hood is 14.7 lbs, trunk 7.7 lbs, stock NA hood, 15.4 lbs. I'm pinning them both so I can remove the hinges, latch and remote release mechanisms. Once that's done I can remove some of the reinforcements built into the hood and trunk to shave even more weight. With these I'm expecting to pull about another 20 lbs out of the car, all up high and mostly outside the wheel base. That is a very good thing.

Just discovered that the MSM uses the same BP5A-12-420 cam as the JDM 99-00 but with it's own unique cam gear. .020" more lift than the exhintake conversion and about the same duration as the stocker. So I ordered one for the project motor. On paper, it should help the motor make more torque with a little more peak at about the same spot in the RPM range. I'd rather have the area under the curve so I think it's a better choice than the exhintake. I'll post duration/lift when I get the cams.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #55
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Just discovered that the MSM uses the same BP5A-12-420 cam as the JDM 99-00 but with it's own unique cam gear. .020" more lift than the exhintake conversion and about the same duration as the stocker. So I ordered one for the project motor. On paper, it should help the motor make more torque with a little more peak at about the same spot in the RPM range. I'd rather have the area under the curve so I think it's a better choice than the exhintake. I'll post duration/lift when I get the cams.
Interesting. We've been wondering about the MSM cam. I've got a junk MSM head that I'll definitely steal the intake cam and gear out of now! Thanks
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #56
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default

Update on the BP5A-12-420 MSM intake cam. It is indeed the exact same part as the 99-00 JDM intake. What's different is the cam gear unique to the MSM # BP8J-12-425. Oddly enough, the MSM gear is timed exactly the same as the N/A but the timing nubs are retarded about a full cam tooth. Weirder yet is the single nub is not 180° from the centerpoint of the twin nubs as on the N/A gear but aligned instead with the trailing of the twin nubs.

But the important thing is the lift on the MSM cam, it's .349, not the .370 we had hoped it was. So in effect, it's an "exhintake" without the hassle.

I've already hacked the CAS drive off the other cam and set up the lash so I'm not going to use the MSM cam. It's for sale!
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #57
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Update on the BP5A-12-420 MSM intake cam. It is indeed the exact same part as the 99-00 JDM intake. What's different is the cam gear unique to the MSM # BP8J-12-425. Oddly enough, the MSM gear is timed exactly the same as the N/A but the timing nubs are retarded about a full cam tooth. Weirder yet is the single nub is not 180° from the centerpoint of the twin nubs as on the N/A gear but aligned instead with the trailing of the twin nubs.

But the important thing is the lift on the MSM cam, it's .349, not the .370 we had hoped it was. So in effect, it's an "exhintake" without the hassle.

I've already hacked the CAS drive off the other cam and set up the lash so I'm not going to use the MSM cam. It's for sale!
Mazdaspeed stock factory turbo (intake/exhaust) 242°/244° .370"/.350" (9.40 mm/8.89 mm)

Strange these are the specs I was given on the MSM cams on the MSM forum..

Are you sure you have a genuine MSM intake cam and if so what year did it come out of.. maybe 04 and 05 have different cams.
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #58
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default

Same part number for either. Called MMD to verify the part number and confirm it's the same as the JDM 99-00.

I think what someone did on the MSM forum is obtain the 04-05 N/A cam specs, which match the numbers posted. So now that I know the lift, the duration remains a mystery. I don't have a degree wheel but I suppose I could get one and set up the dial indicator on one of the spare long blocks in the shop. It would be nice to have about a 254° intake but I doubt it's anything close to that. Anyone local with the right equipment want to volunteer to measure it? Be nice to have the whole curve to compare to the 99-00 exhaust profile.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #59
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Same part number for either. Called MMD to verify the part number and confirm it's the same as the JDM 99-00.

I think what someone did on the MSM forum is obtain the 04-05 N/A cam specs, which match the numbers posted. So now that I know the lift, the duration remains a mystery. I don't have a degree wheel but I suppose I could get one and set up the dial indicator on one of the spare long blocks in the shop. It would be nice to have about a 254° intake but I doubt it's anything close to that. Anyone local with the right equipment want to volunteer to measure it? Be nice to have the whole curve to compare to the 99-00 exhaust profile.
I talked with the guy at www.mazdapartszone.com all of the intake cams for the BP-4w head have the same part number.

USDM, JDM and MSM all have the same number. Makes me wonder if they are just using that part number for the blanks and grinding them per the engine you are ordering it for. I couldn't order an MSM cam from a non-Mazdaspeed Mazda Parts department even though it has the same part number.. odd .. i know.. I'm in no way saying you are wrong.. We just keep getting mixed info on this..

Two guys on the MSM forum spec'd out MSM cams and got the numbers I provided.

MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #60
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,323
Total Cats: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
I talked with the guy at www.mazdapartszone.com all of the intake cams for the BP-4w head have the same part number.

USDM, JDM and MSM all have the same number. Makes me wonder if they are just using that part number for the blanks and grinding them per the engine you are ordering it for. I couldn't order an MSM cam from a non-Mazdaspeed Mazda Parts department even though it has the same part number.. odd .. i know.. I'm in no way saying you are wrong.. We just keep getting mixed info on this..

Two guys on the MSM forum spec'd out MSM cams and got the numbers I provided.

The guy at mazdapartszone is wrong. He was probably looking at the 99-00 parts book.

1. Factory Mazda parts book lists two part numbers for the USDM 04-05 intake cam.
2. Have both cams here in the shop and they are definitely different
3. MSM and JDM 99-00 have the same intake cam part number. It is the very same cam, verified by Mazda Comp in their parts book.

I order my parts direct from Mazda Comp and anyone who has that access knows, you can get anything Mazda has in any warehouse in the world. All you need is the part number and the guys at Mazda Comp will either have the number or help you find it.

If you haven't established an account with MMD, yes, you can't order the parts. I ordered the MSM cam Wednesday and had it here Thursday.

The 9 digit part number I posted is not just a number for the blank. There is a casting designation but it's just the first four digits. There is a separate 9 digit part number just for the blank that cam grinders use.

To get duration numbers requires a few special tools and some expertise. I don't doubt that there are those on MSM forums possessing both but it's far more likely that the poster simply opened up a factory Service manual and copied the data therein. Thus the erroneous reporting.

I'll beleive there is a third mystery cam when a full profile scale is posted from someone who actually as the cam in their possesion. As it is, we now know the MSM cam has a little more lift than the BP4W N/A, just not as much as the VVT intake.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepping my '95 for track asmasm Build Threads 82 05-26-2016 05:37 PM
Road Atlanta: November 21-22, 2015 Feffman Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 1 10-07-2015 09:06 AM
Bikini Top -$550 gsyk59 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 09-12-2015 10:22 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 AM.