BEGI coolant spacer WTF - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 242
Total Cats: -42
Default BEGI coolant spacer WTF

Okay so doing my reroute today, I go to test fit the hose barb into the spacer. the barb threads in about 4 threads and I snug it up to go check how it fits on the back of the motor, okay fits well so I go to pull the hose barb out of the spacer to add thread sealant, damn thing will barely move. I fight to get it out it turns but takes lots of force

I get the barb out and the threads are fucked, greaaattt

I figuar ohwell ill figure it out later, i decided to thread in one of the plugs for the spare ports on the spacer. Threads in easy, threads in 4 or so threads then snugs up. I go to remove it to add sealant , wont move....busts my 1/4 rachet

I have never worked with pipe threads, but this just doesnt seem right
Gt2560rMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 242
Total Cats: -42
Default

So the hose barb that was a bitch to get out and wrecked some threads, so i wire wheel the threads clean. i decide to thread it into one of the spare ports on the spacer. I tighten it down till only acouple threads show. I then use my mouth and finger to check to see if it sealed in the threads....suprise...it didnt

I thought that pipe threads sealed without sealant?
Begi says nothing in thier instructions on how to properly install the plugs/fitting
Gt2560rMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

don't use your hands to tighten fittings.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 242
Total Cats: -42
Default

Hmm yeah I wasnt, i had a nice size wrench.
Gt2560rMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,110
Total Cats: 518
Default

Pipe threads seal with the threads. You don't use sealant, you use a lubricant, to thread in the fittings further, to create a tighter seal. If that makes sense.

You most likely threaded past some burrs in the thread. Get a NPT tap and chase the threads, just be careful not to tap too far.

The other possibility is that BEGI welded on a tapped fitting, and warped the threads in the process.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 113
Default

Teflon is not a pipe thread sealer, it's just teflon and slippery, as Curly said above.

Sounds like you cross threaded it, or your trying to shove a BSPT fitting into a NPT/vice versa. They look the same, but one has more TPI. 4 threads sounds about right, then the next thread jumps.

I despise threads in aluminum, but brass and aluminum are not materials known for galling. If you can, tap them deeper. Be careful, because it's possible to go too deep, and the fitting will never taper seal.

This is a NPT thread gauge, it should only thread finger tight to the flat on the threads, as an example. Any further is out of spec, too loose.

Attached Thumbnails
BEGI coolant spacer WTF-taper-pipe-thread-plug-gages-npt_large.jpg  
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Meridian, Mississippi
Posts: 637
Total Cats: 42
Default

Mine came with two brass plugs, a hose barb fitting, and a 45deg angles fitting that I never figured out why was included (3 ports, 4 fittings). The brass plugs threaded all the way in until they were flush with the spacer with very little resistance, and the hose barb was almost as easy to thread in. I suspect yours was not tapped deep enough. As others have already said, don't tap it too deep when you re-tap it. Also, my instructions specified to use permatex on damn near everything, so that is what I did.

Keith
Twodoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 242
Total Cats: -42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezums View Post
Teflon is not a pipe thread sealer, it's just teflon and slippery, as Curly said above.

Sounds like you cross threaded it, or your trying to shove a BSPT fitting into a NPT/vice versa. They look the same, but one has more TPI. 4 threads sounds about right, then the next thread jumps.

I despise threads in aluminum, but brass and aluminum are not materials known for galling. If you can, tap them deeper. Be careful, because it's possible to go too deep, and the fitting will never taper seal.

This is a NPT thread gauge, it should only thread finger tight to the flat on the threads, as an example. Any further is out of spec, too loose.
I used the fittings supplied by begi with my spacer. I looked at some NPT gauges online and didnt see one cheaper than $70
Gt2560rMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 113
Default

You don't really need a gauge, you just need to be sure the taper seals before the threads bottom out.
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida Panama City/Pensacola
Posts: 38
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodoor View Post
Mine came with two brass plugs, a hose barb fitting, and a 45deg angles fitting that I never figured out why was included (3 ports, 4 fittings). The brass plugs threaded all the way in until they were flush with the spacer with very little resistance, and the hose barb was almost as easy to thread in.


I just recently installed mine (august 9) and the plugs didn't get anywhere near flush, maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds the way there and locked up. I didn't try to take them back out though, and it doesn't leak so I figured that was just the way it was supposed to be. Aluminum is way too easy to jack up so there was no way I was going to screw around with pulling the fittings in and out.
PetrolPiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 242
Total Cats: -42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Pipe threads seal with the threads. You don't use sealant, you use a lubricant, to thread in the fittings further, to create a tighter seal. If that makes sense.

You most likely threaded past some burrs in the thread. Get a NPT tap and chase the threads, just be careful not to tap too far.

The other possibility is that BEGI welded on a tapped fitting, and warped the threads in the process.
From the sarching online I've done, NTPF threads dont need sealant, but NPT threads do.
Gt2560rMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
MSPNPPro-MM0105: Coolant Temperature Output slomiata MEGAsquirt 5 10-07-2015 02:11 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 PM.