Ebay version of Delrin door Bushings? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default Ebay version of Delrin door Bushings?

Hey Guys,
What do you think about these?
I figure its a pretty simple concept so i imagine its a safe buy over name brand.
Just wanted to get some other's input.

Bentobox Delrin Door Stops Bushings for 1990 2014 Mazda Miata MX5 | eBay
Bear.ube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

are you seriously that cheap that you'd support a crappy ebay knockoff vendor instead of paying $18 more for the "real thing"?

just curious
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,843
Total Cats: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear.ube View Post
Hey Guise,
What do you think about these?
Run em' and review them.
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
are you seriously that cheap that you'd support a crappy ebay knockoff vendor instead of paying $18 more for the "real thing"?

just curious
I disagree, it's a chunk of delrin cut to shape. There's no reason the "real one" needs to cost what it does.

It's literally a door stop, so long as it's the right height it will work. If it's too big or small, beltsand it or tweak the pocket. You've gotta do that with the real deal for optimal results anyway.

I for one welcome new vendors undercutting insane profit margins. It's better for 99.9% of us.
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezums View Post
I disagree, it's a chunk of delrin cut to shape. There's no reason the "real one" needs to cost what it does.

It's literally a door stop, so long as it's the right height it will work. If it's too big or small, beltsand it or tweak the pocket. You've gotta do that with the real deal for optimal results anyway.

I for one welcome new vendors undercutting insane profit margins. It's better for 99.9% of us.
I like competition as much as the next guy, but when I have the option of spending only 18 more, and supporting a Miata enthusiast company that's coming out with new stuff instead of knocking off others, I usually support the genuine little guy. I use the term "new stuff" loosely here, obviously they're just remaking the OEM stop in a different material, but still: the egay reseller didn't make these before to my knowledge.

What do you think the profit margin is on a part like this?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 113
Default

New guy probably makes more than 100% still, more or less depending on how much delrin he bought at once. A 12x12 sheet is around $50, think about 17 pairs fit in a square foot.

It cuts like butter, you are limited on how fast you can make them by how fast your spindle turns.
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default

For anything else i'd agree with you 18PSI. Given this is such a dumb little thing, yes i would use ebay and avoid the brand & the mark up that goes with it.
Bear.ube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
Total Cats: 56
Default

I love that these are being knocked off. I hate knock off companies in general... but these door things are stupid and are snake oil anyway. This is one of those karma things, separating fools from their money deserves to have china come in and undercut and **** up the market.

garbagestar blech.
EErockMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

lol fair enough
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EErockMiata View Post
I love that these are being knocked off. I hate knock off companies in general... but these door things are stupid and are snake oil anyway. This is one of those karma things, separating fools from their money deserves to have china come in and undercut and **** up the market.

garbagestar blech.
So you've tried them?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
Total Cats: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
So you've tried them?
wat
EErockMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EErockMiata View Post
wat
Just curious -- obviously you have an opinion on their efficacy. Wondering what it's based on.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
Total Cats: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Just curious -- obviously you have an opinion on their efficacy. Wondering what it's based on.
knowledge of how a door hinge in a car functions and how it does not transfer any significant load without deflecting. All these do is quiet down the doors, any stiffening to the chassis is perceived.

That being said... I've checked them out and ridden in cars with them. They do nothing except wallet weight reduction.

My only assumption is that the majority are sold to people that live in florida. There has to be a correlation between being stupid enough to purchase swamp land and buying these.
EErockMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EErockMiata View Post
knowledge of how a door hinge in a car functions and how it does not transfer any significant load without deflecting. All these do is quiet down the doors, any stiffening to the chassis is perceived.

That being said... I've checked them out and ridden in cars with them. They do nothing except wallet weight reduction.

My only assumption is that the majority are sold to people that live in florida. There has to be a correlation between being stupid enough to purchase swamp land and buying these.
Why is quieting down the door rattles not a legitimate goal?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
Total Cats: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Why is quieting down the door rattles not a legitimate goal?
because you can accomplish that with a pipe wrench by bending the already in place cups on the door. People will always justify pointless **** for their car 50-100 dollars at a time, yet complain that they can't afford xida's or legit wheels (949 vs knock off trm).
EErockMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #17
Sadfab Union President
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,690
Total Cats: 113
Default

If you tighten the door pockets up enough as to cause slight difficulty when closing the doors they shut up. They aren't going to make the car more stiff, they will still rattle the door panels off if they are loose.

If you stick them on in loose pockets they won't do anything more than make more rattles.
deezums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #18
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EErockMiata View Post
because you can accomplish that with a pipe wrench by bending the already in place cups on the door. People will always justify pointless **** for their car 50-100 dollars at a time, yet complain that they can't afford xida's or legit wheels (949 vs knock off trm).
So they aren't snake oil, then, just an unnecessarily expensive solution.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 549
Total Cats: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
So they aren't snake oil, then, just an unnecessarily expensive solution.
As defined by wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil
Snake oil is an expression that originally referred to fraudulent health products or unproven medicine but has come to refer to any product with questionable or unverifiable quality or benefit. By extension, a snake oil salesman is someone who knowingly sells fraudulent goods or who is themselves a fraud, quack, or charlatan.

Here's some text from the product pages/marketing.
From the ebay store:
Stiffen up your chassis with these CNC Delrin Door Stops.

From Garagestar
Replace your old worn rubber bushings with Garage Star delrin door bushings. The Garage Star door bushings will help with chassis rigidity.

these match the description of product with questionable or unverifiable quality or benefit
EErockMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #20
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Okay, sure. Nearly everything is snake oil by that definition.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want to buy a used working turbocharger MUlticamzebra1990 WTB 1 03-27-2016 03:39 PM
WTB: used 1.8l miata engine for 99 miata Jack Kun Aguero WTB 6 03-25-2016 10:24 AM
Hey guys Themiataproject2k16 Meet and Greet 3 03-14-2016 05:07 PM
Hey (TX) K_sr20 Meet and Greet 8 03-10-2016 04:36 PM
Hey guys, Los Angeles/Historic Filipinotown. pinoykid1307 Meet and Greet 4 03-09-2016 10:37 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 AM.