If you can only have one... - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,197
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

He has the money to blow. He will be in a position to not care about it later. Stop being cheap stingy bastards lololol

Its one thing when a kid is broke or poor and is asking for advice how to pinch pennies.

The OP is obviously not in this situation, and we've offered many cheap(er) alternatives to him already. He's obviously not in a situation where he really needs to penny pinch. So lets move on.

OP:
If you drove a stock 2000 and are tired of the slowness then definitely keep the MSM. I doubt a n/a 01 will be much more fun on the street than a 2000. It has better torque curve but still very weak and boring to drive on normal non-twisty roads. Here's what I'd do (your list modified):

Quote:
949 Big Grip Kit $3000 yes, because its awesome
TSE Big brakes (brake ducts, pads, etc) $1500 yes, because its awesome
TSE radiator $600 Doubt its necessary unless race car
COT wing $500 again, i'd pass unless race car
front splitter $300 because not race car
clutch/flywheel $700 fm2 is only 400
steering wheel (hub etc) $500 not really needed, but if you must, they are only like 2-300
ECU (wideband etc) $1500 YES, definitely
oil cooler $500 only if race car
SM damper $500 only if race car
fuel pump $100 not needed til about 300hp
square top $600 not needed
Skunk 2 TB $400 not needed
Full 3" exhaust isn't mentioned so I'm guessing you already have one.
Also inconel hardware mandatory if you want to hit the track. So add another 130 or whatever.

How's that look?

Well under 7k and would make for a super fun daily driver/occasional track car 200whp MSM.

Even if you were to add things like the oil cooler and radiator you'd still be well under 8k

Last edited by 18psi; 04-24-2013 at 11:56 AM.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,010
Total Cats: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Stop being cheap stingy bastards
Sorry, part of my DNA.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

OP spend 5k on parts to make the MSM faster and the other 5k on beer and weed at school.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
Sorry, part of my DNA.
You are lucky to have been blessed with that from birth, then. Some of us had to learn it the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
But the probabilities, to me, suggest you should listen to the old guys in the thread and prioritize.
So you have two guys, both of whom have gone back to post-secondary school later in life, sacrificed in the short term and have found significant success later on.


Definitely don't listen to them. Instant gratification is the way to go.


In all seriousness, I think we are all coming to a sort of consensus which is that, if you can't fully commit to the "short term sacrifice for long term gain" ethos, there should be some compromise of scaling back the goals - and the spending.

I'd agree with 18psi that a basic build of the MSM will make for a nicer street car that may only see the track very rarely. I'd suggest next-to-never for what I am ***uming is going to be your situation (wherein a major failure or wreck will be a major financial setback).
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #25
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,460
Total Cats: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
When I went back to school after the Navy (Vanderbilt Law School), I drove a 15 year old hand-me-down Buick and focused on my school work. The result was a job at a top-20 law firm upon graduation.

Incidentally, I also started the company that I currently still work for while in law school. It employs about 150 people. Of all the things I've done, creating a business that provides a livelihood for others and manufactures lifesaving products is definitely my proudest achievement.

Assuming you're going to remain focused on modifying cars as your top priority, I did some edits on your list. To get NA HP, you basically need to free up the intake and exhaust and add engine management. Suspension improvements are worth the coin too. The rest is fluff.
Keep in mind I've been reading forums about how to make miatas faster and more reliable... for 5.5 years now. I never had the money to do anything about it until now. So all the expensive parts are because I've read many others track experience on what breaks and all that so I want to mod it once and be done. I want to "finish" the car to where all I have to do is put gas in it, do the required maintenance, and then drive it. I completely get your earlier comments about eliminating the stress from my life, because this decision right now is stressing me out majorly! Thats why I want to finish it. If all the complaints I've read for years about MSM's (turbo sucks, brakes suck, too heavy) are only aimed at majority track users, then I should be fine because I really imagine I won't get much chance to do that once if I go back to school.

None of this is decided yet. I made the thread to get advice and I have gotten plenty of good advice. I really am quite obsessive about making lists of parts that will "finish" my car and I've done that for YEARS now. I'm finally in a position to do it.. but only until the end of this year IF I do go back to school.

Let me give you guys a TLR on the "crappy circumstances" I'm in:

1. Live in town that I don't really like
2. Get really good job, so I buy two cars, and a house.
3. Get straight up ******* lied to about the property the house is on.
4. Multiple altercations (police called) with neighbor on property lines
5. Magic ******* property document shows up 2.5 weeks later saying the stupid **** can park his cars literally five damn feet from where I sleep
6. Blow up at realtors because I very specifically asked about this issue before I bought it
7. Live in a state to where you are fucked if its written on a piece of paper, no matter what the realtor said.
8. Realize I don't want to live in this town, state, or do this job for a long period of time.
9. Consider finishing school
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #26
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,460
Total Cats: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
He has the money to blow. He will be in a position to not care about it later. Stop being cheap stingy bastards lololol

Its one thing when a kid is broke or poor and is asking for advice how to pinch pennies.

The OP is obviously not in this situation, and we've offered many cheap(er) alternatives to him already. He's obviously not in a situation where he really needs to penny pinch. So lets move on.

OP:
If you drove a stock 2000 and are tired of the slowness then definitely keep the MSM. I doubt a n/a 01 will be much more fun on the street than a 2000. It has better torque curve but still very weak and boring to drive on normal non-twisty roads. Here's what I'd do (your list modified):


Full 3" exhaust isn't mentioned so I'm guessing you already have one.
Also inconel hardware mandatory if you want to hit the track. So add another 130 or whatever.

How's that look?

Well under 7k and would make for a super fun daily driver/occasional track car 200whp MSM.

Even if you were to add things like the oil cooler and radiator you'd still be well under 8k
That list is doable. The COT wing and splitter were just because I have the COT mounts and the MSM has the extra front lip that is perfect for adding a splitter. I am starting to come around to not needing so many baller parts. I have tracked my MSM once already, I did not overheat it or fade the brakes (on mystery pads and fluid) in 30-50 laps. Probably because I'm a noob but still. I read so much of emilios and savingtons experiences that I want everything they have but I guess its really not all that necessary if I'm tracking maybe 1-3 times a year if I got back to school? I am very cautious about the radiator, though. My 2000 overheated constantly in the summers here when running AC.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #27
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,197
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

You're on the right track: For 1-3 times a year total track time, it will be fine with what we discussed. If you're paranoid about the stock rad then replace it. I don't think you need the ultra baller crossflow TSE on a mostly street car, but its only a little more than a koyo so might as well go that direction and never worry about it again. Or just get the egay dual row like myself and others are using with excellent results.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,579
Total Cats: 155
Default

The MSM radiator is slightly better than N/A stock radiators. It is about the same efficiency as an egay unit. Honestly you probably do not have the driving skills to push the car hard enough to need the TSE big brake kit. I would just lightly mod the MSM and keep it for the daily. I daily my MSM and modify it. I have had no issues and it is currently putting down 220whp with the stock turbo which is great for a DD. Save the money on all of the track car mods and just address the MSM weaknesses (heavy wheels, slightly soft suspension, shitty ECU, intake/exhaust which you have.) You actually don't even need the clutch and flywheel because the MSM clutch is good to 240whp. I would not replace it unless it starts to slip.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,010
Total Cats: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilicharger665 View Post
1. Live in town that I don't really like
2. Get really good job, so I buy two cars, and a house.
3. Get straight up ******* lied to about the property the house is on.
4. Multiple altercations (police called) with neighbor on property lines
5. Magic ******* property document shows up 2.5 weeks later saying the stupid **** can park his cars literally five damn feet from where I sleep
6. Blow up at realtors because I very specifically asked about this issue before I bought it
7. Live in a state to where you are fucked if its written on a piece of paper, no matter what the realtor said.
8. Realize I don't want to live in this town, state, or do this job for a long period of time.
9. Consider finishing school
Title insurance? Fraud?

Your beef is not with your neighbor. It should be with the real estate company, surveyor and seller.

#1 is a pretty common state of affairs.

#7 is also a pretty common rule, at least since the Statute of Frauds was passed under Elizabeth I.

#8 not sure I would come to that conclusion based upon emotion. Grass is always greener, you know. Depending upon when you bought your house, you might be able to unload it and make some money -- real estate has finally started going up again. You'll be wiser on your next purchase and can get a bigger garage!
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,703
Total Cats: 237
Default

Don't hate on NM just because you live in a shitty town
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,460
Total Cats: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
Title insurance? Fraud?

Your beef is not with your neighbor. It should be with the real estate company, surveyor and seller.

#1 is a pretty common state of affairs.

#7 is also a pretty common rule, at least since the Statute of Frauds was passed under Elizabeth I.

#8 not sure I would come to that conclusion based upon emotion. Grass is always greener, you know. Depending upon when you bought your house, you might be able to unload it and make some money -- real estate has finally started going up again. You'll be wiser on your next purchase and can get a bigger garage!
I have talked with the realtors, the surveyors, and the title company. They all basically told me that I'm fucked. What should I do?

What do you mean by #7?

I'm definitely not going to sell the house unless I make some money off of it. I've only had the house for 1.5 months, though.
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE NM
Posts: 1,460
Total Cats: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
The MSM radiator is slightly better than N/A stock radiators. It is about the same efficiency as an egay unit. Honestly you probably do not have the driving skills to push the car hard enough to need the TSE big brake kit. I would just lightly mod the MSM and keep it for the daily. I daily my MSM and modify it. I have had no issues and it is currently putting down 220whp with the stock turbo which is great for a DD. Save the money on all of the track car mods and just address the MSM weaknesses (heavy wheels, slightly soft suspension, shitty ECU, intake/exhaust which you have.) You actually don't even need the clutch and flywheel because the MSM clutch is good to 240whp. I would not replace it unless it starts to slip.
220 whp? Well damn, if I can get that on the stock turbo, then I should definitely keep it. What dyno was it on and how did you tune it?

To fix the MSM weaknesses I already have Enkei PF01 15x8's. I could get Rev's $699 special on MS2E's right now. Then some coilovers. I have Dem768's 350hp intercooler I could put on. I want to replace the intake, though. The FM intake is a retarded design. I could pull it off and sell to help fund a new intake.

The one thing that drives me crazy is not having cruise control, though. I have cruise control on the 01. Is it possible to swap the whole cruise control from an 01 into an 04 MSM?
Chilicharger665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #33
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,197
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

yes
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,010
Total Cats: 583
Default

Well, either you didn't read something (which would be a life-lesson), or one of those entities you're talking to is liable. Of course they're going to tell you you're ****ed. They're not your friend in this. The question is whether your damages are worth enough to hire a lawyer. I'm guessing probably not, which returns us to life-lesson territory.

The Statute of Frauds states that for certain types of transactions (real property transaction in particular -- also transactions above a threshold amount), EVERYTHING has to be in writing. Anything not in writing is void. This was passed under the reign of Elizabeth I in the 16th century. It is a universal law in any country that was once part of the British Empire (including every state within the gool 'ol USA).

Try to be friends with your neighbors. Try to keep perspective. It's a long life (hopefully).
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xXxKillDogxXx's build thread: White turbo MK1 "CHOO CHOO!" xXxKillDogxXx Build Threads 29 11-13-2015 02:17 AM
Reasonable source for NB coils. mx5-kiwi Race Prep 10 09-20-2015 08:31 PM
Cleaning the Garage - Mostly NA Parts slpstream4 Miata parts for sale/trade 0 10-05-2014 08:45 PM
Pair of 1990 Miata's boardboy330 Cars for sale/trade 8 04-01-2008 12:05 AM
cracked/mildy broken Miata rear license plate trim panel/garnish Splitime WTB 1 01-04-2007 06:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.