Lord, I Don't Have Time for This - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,191
Total Cats: 260
Default

But if that second car has 249.5hp it will last forever.

The power of numbers.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 816
Total Cats: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotomile View Post
WRT drivetrain longevity, mechanical sympathy is a real thing.

Imagine two Miatas, both with 249.6 hp and both with their factory 5-speeds with the same amount of wear and tear.

Car one is owned by a 30-year-old father of two, who rarely gives it the beans from a dead stop, uses a sprung organic clutch and drives like he wants to hang onto the car a good while.

Car two is owned by a teenager with a Monster drink in his hand and a straight-brimmed hat on his head. He routinely challenges others to race, clutch kicks every roundabout, and runs a solid 6-puck clutch.

Same power level, same trans, but it's obvious one should last longer than the other.

EDIT - Tim beat me to empathy/sympathy concept.
Plot twist: I put 10k miles of energy-drink-fueled-turbocharged-teenage-angst through my inferior 1.6 drivetrain without breakage. Use included, but was not limited to: 22+ quarter mile runs, frequent 6K rpm clutch dumps, infrequent parking lot donuts (just because), and the occasional clutchless 1/2 shift.

10 years later the transmission/rear ends still goes down the road without a whine. Shifting is a bit notchy but I suspect it has more to do with the mobil-1 oil (which will soon be changed).

Sometimes one just gets lucky.

-Zach
thasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #23
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

quality control bot activated.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #24
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

QC bot aint got time pho dis
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,633
Total Cats: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
I like that the OP doesn't have time for his own project, but the rest of us do.
^This.

No time to learn, no money to do it, and it's a daily driver, amirite?

I'm also about to ask him to take his masturbatory mechanical musings elsewhere unless he decides to invest a bit of his own effort.

I'm not your momma. I don't care about your dreams. But I will help you if you help yourself.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #26
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
2manyhobyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 622
Total Cats: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
^

I'm not your momma. I don't care about your dreams. But I will help you if you help yourself.
+1 very well said, sir.
2manyhobyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #27
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
Alright, thank you, man. I know where to get some good forged rods, so I'm good on that account. And how well does a stock 5spd hold up to that much power. Sorry, every single person gives a different answer for that, lol. 250whp, 300whp, "at 200whp plus, it gets sketchy"
Except that the last, oh 10 or so threads where this exact topic was discussed ended with the SAME DAMNED ANSWER.

If you don't have time to search and learn, you don't have time to modify your car. /thread
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 AM   #28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARMY View Post
Search the forum. Read what you find. Come back with questions based on that research. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the help you'll get after doing that initial work yourself.
This is the first time I've ever felt the need to quote myself on a forum.
BARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #29
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,633
Total Cats: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARMY View Post
This is the first time I've ever felt the need to quote myself on a forum.
Get used to it. We get over 10 a week just like him. Why do you think we are so tired of it?
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #30
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Total Cats: -14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Sexiest car ever made.

I'm not being sarcastic.

It is really really good to ride.
fedricksdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #31
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

These noobs spamming the forum! that Philooo dbag who blew up my email inbox by making worthless comments on everything... So happy when I clicked on the thread link and his posts were nowhere to be found You're on the same track fredericksdan.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #32
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Total Cats: -26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
^This.

No time to learn, no money to do it, and it's a daily driver, amirite?

I'm also about to ask him to take his masturbatory mechanical musings elsewhere unless he decides to invest a bit of his own effort.

I'm not your momma. I don't care about your dreams. But I will help you if you help yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
Except that the last, oh 10 or so threads where this exact topic was discussed ended with the SAME DAMNED ANSWER.

If you don't have time to search and learn, you don't have time to modify your car. /thread
Thank you for your gratuitous help. Sixshooter, since I can see you to be a tired old man who is so sick of reading these posts on the forum, how 'bout you stop; as well, quit responding? I did not ask you to baby me. I asked a simple question. If the last 10 or so threads were the same, why the hell do you respond? As well, I don't have time for this. Good for you all if you are older and have learned to manage your time, but I gotta learn in my own way while working a job and trying to make it through school. Thank you for turning me off of this forum with all your cranky-asses. I'm tired of the same bullshit from almost everyone who has been on here for over a few months. You have just proved me point. I'm rage quitting, lol.
Kalevala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #33
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
Thank you for your gratuitous help. Sixshooter, since I can see you to be a tired old man who is so sick of reading these posts on the forum, how 'bout you stop; as well, quit responding? I did not ask you to baby me. I asked a simple question. If the last 10 or so threads were the same, why the hell do you respond? As well, I don't have time for this. Good for you all if you are older and have learned to manage your time, but I gotta learn in my own way while working a job and trying to make it through school. Thank you for turning me off of this forum with all your cranky-asses. I'm tired of the same bullshit from almost everyone who has been on here for over a few months. You have just proved me point. I'm rage quitting, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Lord, I Don't Have Time for This-dawson_crying.jpg  
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #34
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Total Cats: -26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Lol, I was gonna bullshit some witty remark. This actually made me laugh.
Kalevala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 AM   #35
Free Moustache Rides
iTrader: (8)
 
matthewdesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,656
Total Cats: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I would seriously take a clean, early 70s (IRS, but not L-jet) Karmann Ghia cabrio over a Lamborghini Muira any day.
Strictly for aesthetics? Or does the ongoing financial commitment of the Muira trump any potential shortcoming in the Ghia's looks?

I wouldn't ask, except that I'm frankly amazed that the Ghia would be held in higher esteem than the Muira. Possibly the most beautiful car ever produced IMHO.
matthewdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #36
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

You're leaving?

Attached Thumbnails
Lord, I Don't Have Time for This-excellentmeme.jpg  
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #37
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Total Cats: -26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
You're leaving?

Lol, no; I won't be posting though. Don't ********** too quickly.
Kalevala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #38
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,315
Total Cats: 1,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdesigns View Post
Strictly for aesthetics? Or does the ongoing financial commitment of the Muira trump any potential shortcoming in the Ghia's looks?

I wouldn't ask, except that I'm frankly amazed that the Ghia would be held in higher esteem than the Muira. Possibly the most beautiful car ever produced IMHO.
The Muira is one of the most beautiful cars in the world, which is why I used it as an example.

But the Ghia is a car that I could actually live with every day. Italian design, tempered by German engineering. What could be more ideal?
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #39
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
2manyhobyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 622
Total Cats: 16
Default

Volvo P1800 over Ghia. The Muira I'm afraid I'd have to sell to buy a house.
2manyhobyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #40
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 30
Total Cats: 3
Default

M i u r a

Oh, and i also die a little bit inside every time someone spells "viola" instead of "voilą"

Carry on..
[Ode] is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
Someone help me with AE ihiryu MEGAsquirt 33 10-08-2015 05:56 PM


Tags
die search button die, helpme, high school rage, hp, mein_kampf, my_struggles, no time for you, whp

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 AM.