Mounted a curb, need advice :( - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 15
Total Cats: -1
Default Mounted a curb, need advice :(

Hey everyone,

Last night I was driving home from work. There's a large roundabout that I drive through every day and I usually take it a little quickly to enjoy the awesome handling characteristics of the miata. Anyways, this time was different. Like an idiot, I was using my phone while driving. Came out of the roundabout, weight transferred, I wasn't paying attention and lost control of the car. Mounted a decent sized curb and stopped in the median. By extreme luck I didn't bend or crack my wheels and my tires didn't explode, my alignment wasn't thrown off and the car drives fine. That's not to say there aren't any issues though.


I banged up the frame rail support pretty bad and bent backwards the cross-member brace right before the rear axel.Also, my transmission seems a little bit louder when I shift, although it actually feels better?

I acknowledge that this accident was completely and 100% my fault and I own up to it. I am just asking advice on how to go about fixing the damage that I've caused. Also, as far as the rear cross member goes, is there an aftermarket brace that anyone recommends? I'll try and get some pictures today.

Thanks,

Chris
magnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,809
Total Cats: 264
Default

In for carnage pics

Attached Thumbnails
Mounted a curb, need advice :(-nhfhh.gif  
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,647
Total Cats: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoon View Post
I banged up the frame rail support pretty bad and bent backwards the cross-member brace right before the rear axel.Also, my transmission seems a little bit louder when I shift, although it actually feels better?
Where is this magical curb? My transmission has always been a bit notchy, I'd like to improve the shifting feel.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 5,981
Total Cats: 576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoon View Post
I didn't bend or crack my wheels and my tires didn't explode, my alignment wasn't thrown off and the car drives fine.
In that case . . . you drive like a *****.

Last edited by hornetball; 04-29-2016 at 01:28 PM.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,204
Total Cats: 1,470
Default

But did you get the text sent?
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Trailer County
Posts: 530
Total Cats: -9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
But did you get the text sent?
I was like... had a fraction of a lag, nice! J A J A jaaa

** Oh man, grab a six pack and wrench on, embrace as if the glass is half full. You can do it!
Attached Thumbnails
Mounted a curb, need advice :(-80-never_give_up_you_can_do_it_quote_cbec15e169d444958539062e0d698656cebffba0.jpg  
mazpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,737
Total Cats: 459
Default

Sometimes the things that happened yesterday definitely still matter.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:52 AM   #8
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Sometimes the things that happened yesterday definitely still matter.
Especially if that thing was, ya know, mounting a curb. And now we've come full circle jerk.
KanseiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:03 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 343
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoon View Post
Hey everyone,

Last night I was driving home from work. There's a large roundabout that I drive through every day and I usually take it a little quickly to enjoy the awesome handling characteristics of the miata. Anyways, this time was different. Like an idiot, I was using my phone while driving. Came out of the roundabout, weight transferred, I wasn't paying attention and lost control of the car. Mounted a decent sized curb and stopped in the median. By extreme luck I didn't bend or crack my wheels and my tires didn't explode, my alignment wasn't thrown off and the car drives fine. That's not to say there aren't any issues though.


I banged up the frame rail support pretty bad and bent backwards the cross-member brace right before the rear axel.Also, my transmission seems a little bit louder when I shift, although it actually feels better?

I acknowledge that this accident was completely and 100% my fault and I own up to it. I am just asking advice on how to go about fixing the damage that I've caused. Also, as far as the rear cross member goes, is there an aftermarket brace that anyone recommends? I'll try and get some pictures today.

Thanks,

Chris
In all seriousness, did you get under the car check it out? Any leaking/visible damage to the transmission, driveshaft? The rear brace is cheap and easy to replace. You likely scraped a lot of the undercoating off the frame rails and scraped them into the metal. If so, I would sand any rust that has formed and prime/undercoat any spots that you may have opened.
astral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:09 AM   #10
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 1
Default

Adding to that, you should still get your alignment checked out even though it tracks straight and drives fine. There might be a subtle change that isn't enough to impact driveability but could wear your tires unevenly. It would also be a good indicator of whether or not the "frame"/unibody is tweaked. Can't get within spec using known good suspension and steering parts usually = tweaked metal.
KanseiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete 1999 Electrical Harness $300 olderguy Miata parts for sale/trade 4 07-19-2016 06:42 PM
Complete Torsen Swap with Subframe - WI Padlock Miata parts for sale/trade 22 05-09-2016 09:12 AM
Hey, NA8 here, long time reader/referrer to turbo kitty knowledge NickelNDiminIt Meet and Greet 0 04-20-2016 01:24 AM
Hey guys! New to the page! Damon Sharp Meet and Greet 2 04-18-2016 03:44 AM
Issues around 4000 rpm while in neutral jko MEGAsquirt 5 04-14-2016 03:28 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.