New hood louver - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 201
Total Cats: 1
Default New hood louver (lots o' pics)

So I had my local friend fab me up a hood louver right over the turbo so that (maybe) the underhood temperatures would be lower after a hard drive. Here's the final product. Don't mind the rock chips

Name:  louver.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  56.7 KB

So far, so good. Considering I still have the bowser heatshield on (modded to fit the turbotony dp), there's a lot of heat coming out. I'm going to cut the heatshield so that the turbo can be fully exposed to the louver and see what happens.

As requested:

How she sits now
Name:  0530081137.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  81.4 KB
Name:  0530081138.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  69.7 KB
Name:  0530081140.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  68.7 KB
Name:  0530081140a.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  0530081946.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  71.3 KB
Name:  0530081946b.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  124.4 KB

And past setups ...
Name:  0522081602.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  66.1 KB
Name:  0501081527.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  50.9 KB
Name:  miata2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  42.3 KB

Last edited by db84drteg; 05-31-2008 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Added pictures
db84drteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Longs, SC
Posts: 2,583
Total Cats: 13
Default

looks good, more pictures?
I like how it kinda curves around the hood
icantthink4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

so does it work and is it pulling air out or in?
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 201
Total Cats: 1
Default

It's just a vent when it's stopped and, if my understanding is correct, it'll pull air out at speed.

Icantthink: do you want pics of the louver or the car?
db84drteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: orlando, FL
Posts: 558
Total Cats: 0
Default

i'm in love with that car's color, share?
XxGoKoUxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Longs, SC
Posts: 2,583
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by db84drteg View Post
It's just a vent when it's stopped and, if my understanding is correct, it'll pull air out at speed.

Icantthink: do you want pics of the louver or the car?
louver first, car second.
icantthink4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by db84drteg View Post
It's just a vent when it's stopped and, if my understanding is correct, it'll pull air out at speed.

Icantthink: do you want pics of the louver or the car?
tape some 2 inch long yarn strands to the vent and see which way the air goes. Most vents in that location suck air in at speed.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: orlando, FL
Posts: 558
Total Cats: 0
Default

ouch
XxGoKoUxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

Phoy, you can borrow my magnehelic gauge and video camera whenever you want so you can test it.
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
tape some 2 inch long yarn strands to the vent and see which way the air goes. Most vents in that location suck air in at speed.
Not a very accurate way to measure aerodynamics.

If so, then why do all ALMS racecars have louvers on their hoods/fenders. The louver isn't at the base of the windshield where their's a high pressure area. The louver in that location (depending on the shape -its hard to see from the pic) most likely will draw air out as the air goes over the louver creates a low pressure suction at the opening of the vents, sucking air out.

0.02
stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntman View Post
Not a very accurate way to measure aerodynamics.

If so, then why do all ALMS racecars have louvers on their hoods/fenders. The louver isn't at the base of the windshield where their's a high pressure area. The louver in that location (depending on the shape -its hard to see from the pic) most likely will draw air out as the air goes over the louver creates a low pressure suction at the opening of the vents, sucking air out.

0.02
I was watching a deal on "this week in F1" where the show went to the red bull tunnel where Adrian Newey was using yarn. You should call him up and tell him that he's doing it wrong...after you kill yourself for being an armchair-------. You're about as useful as a football bat.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I was watching a deal on "this week in F1" where the show went to the red bull tunnel where Adrian Newey was using yarn. You should call him up and tell him that he's doing it wrong...after you kill yourself for being an armchair-------. You're about as useful as a football bat.
Dammit Hustler, Like Bubba the love Sponge says, "I love you in a non ------ way" bro.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Newbsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,304
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I was watching a deal on "this week in F1" where the show went to the red bull tunnel where Adrian Newey was using yarn. You should call him up and tell him that he's doing it wrong...after you kill yourself for being an armchair-------. You're about as useful as a football bat.
That was simply amazing and awe inspiring.
Newbsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

Hustler, man, start your own thread. I keep trying to read about stuff thats on topic and you come in and post some random copy-and-paste from somewhere that doesn't mean a damn thing. We're all very proud of your weird non-sequiturs but they're pretty much in every thread at this point.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I was watching a deal on "this week in F1" where the show went to the red bull tunnel where Adrian Newey was using yarn. You should call him up and tell him that he's doing it wrong...after you kill yourself for being an armchair-------. You're about as useful as a football bat.
Wow... Theirs quite a bit of immaturity in miataturbo.net

I am well aware of the use of string in wind tunnels. If you havn't been living under a rock for the past 10 years, it should be considered common knowledge and not required to state it. The point being, that although string helps to show the flow of air over a surface and to make sure that the air dosn't detach from the body curvature, it does nothing to show the airflow over the body (above the surface) -which is why they use smoke in wind tunnels (again, pretty commonly-held knowledge). The point I was making was that due to the size of the louvers, string will not show a conclusive result of how the air will flow into the louver, and thus is not an appropriate test of the airflow over and out of the louver.

I work with a lot of aerodynamicists. Heck, SWIFT is less than 5 miles from my house and i've been to their wind tunnel on a few occasions.

Please stop the immature slandering and bashing and grow up.
stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,702
Total Cats: 236
Default

+1 more pics of the louvers, and the car. Also, if that car is ever out in the rain.. cutting the heatshield to expose the turbine might not be a great idea. Looks good btw.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntman View Post
Wow... Theirs quite a bit of immaturity in miataturbo.net

I am well aware of the use of string in wind tunnels. If you havn't been living under a rock for the past 10 years, it should be considered common knowledge and not required to state it. The point being, that although string helps to show the flow of air over a surface and to make sure that the air dosn't detach from the body curvature, it does nothing to show the airflow over the body (above the surface) -which is why they use smoke in wind tunnels (again, pretty commonly-held knowledge). The point I was making was that due to the size of the louvers, string will not show a conclusive result of how the air will flow into the louver, and thus is not an appropriate test of the airflow over and out of the louver.

I work with a lot of aerodynamicists. Heck, SWIFT is less than 5 miles from my house and i've been to their wind tunnel on a few occasions.

Please stop the immature slandering and bashing and grow up.
oh wah wah wah. Look at the string, is air going in or out? You can try to complicate it to tell me I'm wrong, or you can look at the string. Its that simple. If it turns around backwards, its not working the way you want it to. You don't need smoke for that.

Yes, I'm immature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
Hustler, man, start your own thread. I keep trying to read about stuff thats on topic and you come in and post some random copy-and-paste from somewhere that doesn't mean a damn thing. We're all very proud of your weird non-sequiturs but they're pretty much in every thread at this point.
my reply was relatively on-topic.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #18
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,809
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntman View Post
Please stop the immature slandering and bashing and grow up.

it's pretty much all he has at this point....
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 1
Default

And apparently ignorant as well.

If you read my post, it stated the difference between why smoke and string is used. Which stated that smoke is used to show the path of airflow above the surface of the body -which means that smoke would not show the airflow into the vent.

One way smoke might work to show airflow out of the vent is for it to go in the radiator (and if it didnt dissipate) the high pressure under the hood and low pressure from behind the vent would result in smoke venting from the louver.

Again, i'm not recommending to test with smoke as it is completely unnecessary (since I must state the obvious), my point was, that by the looks of the louver, I would doubt that even if you put the string at the trailing edge of the top of the louver, it would just flap in the wind - not sucking into the vent, nor concluding that air is escaping the vent. For this purpose, I can't imagine a way to attach the string in a way that it will conclude if the louver is working or not as I do not see the string sucking into the vent or act in a way to conclude how the air is flowing.
stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
it's pretty much all he has at this point....
Those that can do, those that can't make up excuses.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.