Question on parts off a junker - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default Question on parts off a junker

well theres a junked 94 in where else the junk yard the guy only want $70 for all the 1.8 brakes with rotors... thats a steal Imo but the down side is its been sitting so it has rust on the calipers and rotors, i wonder....if i just cleaned the rust and checked the pistons and seals if they'd be good,.... also the guy only wants $200 for the torsen with half shafts and drive shaft but again it has about 174xxx miles and not to thrilled about that but in your opinion would it be worth getting at least the torsen?
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

well doing a bit of research i relized that i only need the larger caliper brakets and 1.8 rotors. is this correct if so it'll be a lot cheaper than i thought?
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51hellfire View Post
well doing a bit of research i relized that i only need the larger caliper brakets and 1.8 rotors. is this correct if so it'll be a lot cheaper than i thought?
Yup, all you need is the brackets. Then go to napa and get some rotors. Then order the pads of your choice.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: where most people are Utarded
Posts: 1,323
Total Cats: 0
Default

Dude, jump on that stuff!
zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

well thats what i thought but what about the diff? is it worth it money with the amount of miles on it????....
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51hellfire View Post
well thats what i thought but what about the diff? is it worth it money with the amount of miles on it????....


As long as its in good shape, absolutely.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
IcantDo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 1,764
Total Cats: 18
Default

Put your location on here!


I need a $200 torsen!
IcantDo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

lol im in St augustine but thats not where the car is...
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

I feel retarded, 1. i know that its a great price 2. I could sell it for a lot more 3. i need it 4. I can't drive for a month anyways.....cough speeding.... so i have the time to install, but I'm not financially gifted lol meaning I need it to work or Im screwed...ya know i have the money don't get me wrong i just don't know.....so what your all saying is even if it has the milage it has it should still be good? if thats the case I'm going manana...well with a friend :-(
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51hellfire View Post
I feel retarded, 1. i know that its a great price 2. I could sell it for a lot more 3. i need it 4. I can't drive for a month anyways.....cough speeding.... so i have the time to install, but I'm not financially gifted lol meaning I need it to work or Im screwed...ya know i have the money don't get me wrong i just don't know.....so what your all saying is even if it has the milage it has it should still be good? if thats the case I'm going manana...well with a friend :-(
Go buy the diff for sure.

Just get the brake brackets. Leave the rusty calipers and discs there. Get rotors at napa and re-use your current calipers.
deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliverator View Post
Go buy the diff for sure.

Just get the brake brackets. Leave the rusty calipers and discs there. Get rotors at napa and re-use your current calipers.
well i will i just have to figure out he whole taking it off its a pull your parts junk yard and it'll be a whole day deal i could imagine... w/e ill get it thanks again to all that helped btw ill need the half shafts and the drive shaft for the 1.6 swap right? thanks
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51hellfire
ill need the half shafts and the drive shaft for the 1.6 swap right? thanks

Correct.
deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
Yup, all you need is the brackets. Then go to napa and get some rotors. Then order the pads of your choice.
Winner!
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51hellfire View Post
well i will i just have to figure out he whole taking it off its a pull your parts junk yard and it'll be a whole day deal i could imagine... w/e ill get it thanks again to all that helped btw ill need the half shafts and the drive shaft for the 1.6 swap right? thanks
Which I happen to have...with knuckles (attached to hubs) to make the install easier if your interested.
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #15
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamania View Post
Which I happen to have...with knuckles (attached to hubs) to make the install easier if your interested.
comon sense says your talking about the rotors etc...?
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:01 AM   #16
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

ok soo digging through the car i found it was a 96 i picked up the front brackets for only 25$ and new rotors from napa for 23 each so now i have larger front brakes it only cost a total of 100 with new shoes I didn't grab the back for some reason i thought they wouldn't fit..... i know now.....but i guess they'll still be there lol. soo for about 200 i could have 1.8 all around...so in your humble opinions how did i do? as far as the torsen im having doubts i spun the left side and the right didnt budge now im preettty sure the torsen would spin both sides no? but it might have been an open diff????..... either way thats still a lot of work with no lift/ jack it kind of is sitting on the cassis on the ground......ftl
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:13 AM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

If i was strapped for cash, i would have bought the brackets and the differential, but held off on the pads and rotors until I caught up. Your car though dude, have fun with your weaksauce 1.6 diff.
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:19 AM   #18
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryrye View Post
If i was strapped for cash, i would have bought the brackets and the differential, but held off on the pads and rotors until I caught up. Your car though dude, have fun with your weaksauce 1.6 diff.
yeah i guess... but i needed new pads anyway so it wasen't soo bad plus that miata will be there for a while im literally the only one pulling parts off it anyway......as far as the 1.6 i know thus why i wanna buy the 1.8
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #19
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,192
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Dude, please do us all a big favor: stop typing like this because when someone is reading your post and all the sentences are jumbled together and run on it is very hard to read and understand what you are trying to say but otherwise the parts you found at the junkyard look like they are being sold for a good deal and you should definitely jump on the deal because if anything you can still sell all the stuff and make a profit unless of course you decide to keep it and in that case you will have some cool upgrades on your car for a very money spent.

I hope you get the point

Ps: you should do it
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:31 AM   #20
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Dude, please do us all a big favor: stop typing like this because when someone is reading your post and all the sentences are jumbled together and run on it is very hard to read and understand what you are trying to say but otherwise the parts you found at the junkyard look like they are being sold for a good deal and you should definitely jump on the deal because if anything you can still sell all the stuff and make a profit unless of course you decide to keep it and in that case you will have some cool upgrades on your car for a very money spent.

I hope you get the point

Ps: you should do it
noted thanks!
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 AM.