Small sound system! - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 1
Default Small sound system!

I'm new to the forums so I would like to say hi to everyone. My name is Todd and I've always wanted a Miata for some reason. I've been into building sound systems since I was about 15 and I've haven't had a decent one in over a year :(. I decided to take the challenge to install something in my miata(I just got a week ago) because there's isn't much space and I didn't want to take up the whole trunk. So here it is:


Attached Thumbnails
Small sound system!-80-image_c37aa34dc33aa0e0315daf4218946df4c66859bf.jpeg  

Last edited by Braineack; 02-11-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Todd Fording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (3)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,709
Total Cats: 319
Default

Hi.

My left speaker doesn't work. What should I do?
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

like the sub location, hate the video.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
Hi.

My left speaker doesn't work. What should I do?
Have you checked the connections to the speaker? That's where I'd start. Also if it was making weird noises before it stopped working I'd say it's blown. Get some new one!
Todd Fording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
like the sub location, hate the video.
Uh thanks I guess? Is it just the lighting or is there something that you can suggest that would make it better or more enjoyable I guess?
Todd Fording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (3)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,709
Total Cats: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Fording View Post
Have you checked the connections to the speaker? That's where I'd start. Also if it was making weird noises before it stopped working I'd say it's blown. Get some new one!
If I where to get a set of component speakers and an amp, what should I get.
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,849
Total Cats: 271
Default

It's a little bit on the snooze side of things. More energy! If you sound tired, you're making me tired lol. But I don't expect you to be jumping up and down "HEY YOUTUBE TODD HERE LOLOLOLOLOL"

Editing & lighting could be better.

Tripod to counter hand held video.

Though, I like the idea and it seems you do have some talent when looking at your previous speaker box builds on your channel.

Will the final box be fiberglass?
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
It's a little bit on the snooze side of things. More energy! If you sound tired, you're making me tired lol. But I don't expect you to be jumping up and down "HEY YOUTUBE TODD HERE LOLOLOLOLOL"

Editing & lighting could be better.

Tripod to counter hand held video.

Though, I like the idea and it seems you do have some talent when looking at your previous speaker box builds on your channel.

Will the final box be fiberglass?
I suppose I'll go buy a lightning setup and tripod for my GoPro! Yes the final box will be fiberglass thanks for the suggestions
Todd Fording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
If I where to get a set of component speakers and an amp, what should I get.
Focal has a low model component that I would trust over anything else in its price range as far as quality of the speaker and performance. If you don't ever plan on adding rear speakers or a subwoofer I would go with something like this from a quality name brand company. :
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p300x2

When it comes to speakers as a lot of things you can really tell a huge difference if you spend the extra little bit of money. Also if you take care of it it will sound a hell of a lot better longer!
Todd Fording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 672
Total Cats: 20
Default

Attached Thumbnails
Small sound system!-80-retarded_meme_b93589a08520130baff8d6ed628b8d135cea2618.png  
karter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (3)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,709
Total Cats: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Fording View Post
Focal has a low model component that I would trust over anything else in its price range as far as quality of the speaker and performance. If you don't ever plan on adding rear speakers or a subwoofer I would go with something like this from a quality name brand company. :
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p300x2

When it comes to speakers as a lot of things you can really tell a huge difference if you spend the extra little bit of money. Also if you take care of it it will sound a hell of a lot better longer!
Do you have to seal the back end from the elements somehow? Or do you create an air tight enclosure for speakers in doors. Finally, is shielded wire a thing, if so, where would you ground the shield.

I'd probable do nothing more than the components, but would like to maximize what I get and willing to amp it.
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,849
Total Cats: 271
Default

Do you still have a bose setup in your car OP?

Should be your next video, how to de-bose a miata. Include recommended single din replacement, wire shielding, sub install you're working on, speaker/tweeter amp etc etc. Make it a semi cheap but QUALITY install. And as a bonus, to appeal to those who track and DD thier miata... Include total weight removed with total weight of new system.

You'll get all the miata stance bros, +1 fappin to your audio install vids.
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #13
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Fording View Post
Uh thanks I guess? Is it just the lighting or is there something that you can suggest that would make it better or more enjoyable I guess?
it was long and boring and didn't convey anything that like 2 pictures couldnt.

replicate them with like 1/2" MDF, and sell them like hot cakes on ebay.

I bought this one from a local doing just that for $50:




problem was it required a shallow sub and was probably only 0.5 cuft.
Attached Thumbnails
Small sound system!-80-undefined_87560fe47decc78c475c4493dcb92f1f28912907.png  
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:40 PM   #14
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
Do you have to seal the back end from the elements somehow? Or do you create an air tight enclosure for speakers in doors. Finally, is shielded wire a thing, if so, where would you ground the shield.

I'd probable do nothing more than the components, but would like to maximize what I get and willing to amp it.
You can install these between the doors and speakers. It creates a small enclosure to boost vocals and highs and protects them from moisture. Elaborate on the shielded wire stuff.
Todd Fording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #15
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
Do you still have a bose setup in your car OP?

Should be your next video, how to de-bose a miata. Include recommended single din replacement, wire shielding, sub install you're working on, speaker/tweeter amp etc etc. Make it a semi cheap but QUALITY install. And as a bonus, to appeal to those who track and DD thier miata... Include total weight removed with total weight of new system.

You'll get all the miata stance bros, +1 fappin to your audio install vids.
I would have loved to start from the beginning but my car already had a single din. I did start to make a video of the touchscreen install but I lost some of the files while trying to upload them to my computer. An amp install video will be make though!
Todd Fording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #16
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
it was long and boring and didn't convey anything that like 2 pictures couldnt.

replicate them with like 1/2" MDF, and sell them like hot cakes on ebay.

I bought this one from a local doing just that for $50:




problem was it required a shallow sub and was probably only 0.5 cuft.
That is a great idea. Do you like the placement of that subwoofer enclosure or is the placement of my setup better?
Todd Fording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #17
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

yours will be better.

it makes better use of space and allows for much larger volume in the box without sacrficing any of the usable trunk area.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:07 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 384
Total Cats: 39
Default

Your colorscheme is nearly identical to my brothers miata - minus the crap body kit. But hey, $800 automatic miata with a bad transmission is $800 (and we had a 5 speed laying around). I think his paint is Krylon Fusion blue.

Attached Thumbnails
Small sound system!-img_20150625_201404.jpg  
gooflophaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #19
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
I'd probable do nothing more than the components, but would like to maximize what I get and willing to amp it.
a set of components plus an amp sounds great. add in a sub it's really a decent setup.

should of listened to mine when you had the chance. I used a 3-channel amp and was pretty damn happy with it, I could listen to music top down and here it just fine at 70-80mph.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
a set of components plus an amp sounds great. add in a sub it's really a decent setup.

should of listened to mine when you had the chance. I used a 3-channel amp and was pretty damn happy with it, I could listen to music top down and here it just fine at 70-80mph.
This. Did the same, got same results.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Tale of Two Miatas: Hraday93's MSM Build hraday93 Build Threads 82 07-18-2017 04:20 PM
Miata goodies motor and turbo parts! Silentoreo34 Miata parts for sale/trade 12 02-27-2016 02:23 PM
Miata assorted accessories VRRMPSH Miata parts for sale/trade 9 02-18-2016 03:50 PM
New to the Miata game hawk707 Meet and Greet 1 02-11-2016 10:55 AM
Miata Help Matthew Aubel Insert BS here 23 02-06-2016 07:10 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.