total crap rollbar? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default total crap rollbar?

zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,199
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

doesnt look too bad for a no name fleabay rollbar. for 350 though I'm sure you could pick up a used good one
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,370
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Bethania wants $385 for theirs. It's your life.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

I wouldn't trust it. Bethania FTW!
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 345
Total Cats: 0
Default

besides, HD's bars are known to fit, and work, this one looks ugly and is unproven. the only thing this does have going for it is that it's stainless. I'd love a stainless HD but they are stupid expensive.
tronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

I would never buy a rollbar off Ebay,unless it was a real HD bar,your life is worth more than $350.

Spend the money and get a good bar.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

I wasn't really thinking of buying it, just posting for discussion and awareness.
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

no.jpg
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

Looking at the flat plate that's used to bolt up the whole thing, what does it bolt to? It would have to be the parcel shelf. Can you say "style bar"? I knew you could!
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

looks cheesy to me.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 407
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball1 View Post
Looking at the flat plate that's used to bolt up the whole thing, what does it bolt to? It would have to be the parcel shelf. Can you say "style bar"? I knew you could!
You don't know what you're talking about and it shows.

It bolts right where any HD do. It misses only a diagonal plate that HD do have.

You guys are a joke. Only because it's on ebay you all think it doesn't worth a ****. Ok, nobody knows what they really worth because it doesn't have the reputation of HD, but by the picture you see that it's not that bad: The plates are thick enough, the piping too. The only thing that could be a problem is the welds. But I wouldn't be affraid at all since it's MIG welded.

My 0.02
Dark Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

wow. really DW?

i'll stick with my HD, as its Solo I certified, thank you.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 407
Total Cats: -1
Default

Yeah you have an Hardcore, but the others of HD are not certified, it's the only one. For some people, like me, we don't care about the Solo certification.

I have a HD bar, and it's good. The only thing I say it's that the ebay bar is not necessary bullcrap like all you guys say.
Dark Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wanderer View Post
You don't know what you're talking about and it shows.

It bolts right where any HD do. It misses only a diagonal plate that HD do have.

You guys are a joke. Only because it's on ebay you all think it doesn't worth a ****. Ok, nobody knows what they really worth because it doesn't have the reputation of HD, but by the picture you see that it's not that bad: The plates are thick enough, the piping too. The only thing that could be a problem is the welds. But I wouldn't be affraid at all since it's MIG welded.
My 0.02
Really??

First off, its Chinese Stainless. Bet my left leg on it. Have you ever held something in your hands constructed from Chinese stainless?? Secondly I wouldn't trust my life to Chinese stainless that was MIG welded, which I'm assuming so from the **** poor sloppy *** joints I can see in the photographs. MIG might be fine for mild steel, but I'd never use it on stainless -- TIG is the way to go. The flanges on that are hardly impressive to me, look like about 2mm at best.


Theres a reason a Stainless HD bar is a frickin Grand, and this is 350 bucks... it aint the "Hard Dog" sticker that makes it so.

This looks like a cheap knockoff of the Brainstorm bar (with an extra diag installed) which fits between seat belt towers. All the Hard Dog bars I've ever seen in person stretch over to the outside of the seatbelt mounting points.

Bottom line, I paid slightly more than the asking price of this piece of **** for a brand new hard dog double diag. hard top bar from a member of this board... Shipped. If I really wanted a chrome one, I'd take it off and have it chrome plated. That'd be an extra 200. Bottom line, is YOUR life really worth saving ~200.00?? Mine isn't. Not to me. I wouldn't trust my life to something like that.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

the only concern i have is that it doesn't say its made from DOM
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wanderer View Post
You don't know what you're talking about and it shows.

It bolts right where any HD do. It misses only a diagonal plate that HD do have.

My 0.02



It looks like it might bolt up like the HD ACE does. I have an autopower and all the boss frog and HD unit's I've seen aren't just a flat plate that bolts on top of the package shelf. The rear supports of my autopower drop through the shelf and bolt up to the wheel well supports. The boss frogs bolt to the top and front of the parcel shelf framework. The HD HC's I've seen similarly bolt top and in front. All I've seen reposition the seat belts. I don't see that with this.

I may be talking out my a$$ but I'm not slamming it because it's ebay. I'm against it as I wouldn't trust my life or yours (well maybe yours after your response to my post) with a shiny chinese unproven, uncertified, untested bar that may not bolt to the framework of the car. When it comes to safety equipment saving a few bucks vs. a proven product doesn't make sense.

If someone wants it because it's pretty that's great. If they want it to save their skull I'd look elsewhere.


EDIT: I've looked closer at this picture and the HD and BF websites. The only one that either company produces that this resembles is the HD Ace. Look at how the main hoop sits behind the center of the seats, not outside them. This is nothing like the HD, BF or Autopower products.

Dark Blatherer. Show me I'm wrong! A$$

Last edited by cueball1; 12-28-2008 at 03:43 PM.
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wanderer View Post
You don't know what you're talking about and it shows.

It bolts right where any HD do. It misses only a diagonal plate that HD do have.

You guys are a joke. Only because it's on ebay you all think it doesn't worth a ****. Ok, nobody knows what they really worth because it doesn't have the reputation of HD, but by the picture you see that it's not that bad: The plates are thick enough, the piping too. The only thing that could be a problem is the welds. But I wouldn't be affraid at all since it's MIG welded.

My 0.02
And you're a retard. The welds "could be a problem"? My ******* God, would you really trust your LIFE with something that "could" have bad welds? GTFO.
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
Junior Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 487
Total Cats: 1
Default

I could see for the price maybe a good starting point if u knew how to weld and wanted to reinforce it or turn it into the beginnings of a full cage... Maybe.
MikeRiv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 407
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
And you're a retard. The welds "could be a problem"? My ******* God, would you really trust your LIFE with something that "could" have bad welds? GTFO.
I said that because if there was to be a failure it's there it would occur. But good luck to crack complete around-the-pipe cold welds. And Hell these welds don't look bad. Everyone can MIG weld, it's not hard and it's strong enough, whatever anyone can say, not the case a TIG. IF someone would trust tig for a roll bar then he must be suicidal has the TIG as so weak penetration that if a weld on a roll bar hes ever to crack, the TIG one will do before the MIG one for sure.

Hell it's a roll bar, it's not a 300 feet tall tower, it doesn't need a engineer to construct. For the main hoop Brian, it doesn't matter a second. The purpose of the roll bar is to make sure that it's not the head of the seat that touches the ground but the bar.

Well that's my opinion, you guys wouldn't trust it and I would trust it as I trust my HD already, but the chances that I actually do a roll-over are weak.
Dark Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
TTE Build - Help me pick tires chrisn Race Prep 27 10-16-2015 06:12 PM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM
Got bad Crank Angle Sensor and Random Misfire codes, but runs fine. Greasyman General Miata Chat 2 09-28-2015 11:44 AM
Noob from Fort Worth, Texas checking in. Miatabro Meet and Greet 7 09-11-2015 01:13 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.