Turbo No Hit Block - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 82
Total Cats: 0
Default Turbo No Hit Block

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=43928

Wow. Thats all.

"i cant decide between the two. of course money is and issue and ive found a cold air kit for 200 bucks from a mazda speed. i also was looking on ebay and there was a t3t4 turbo kit for 400 bucks. would that kit actually work or is it spam."
lazyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

in mother Russia, block not hit turbo
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shalimar, FL
Posts: 965
Total Cats: 7
Default

Haha I love how MT.net pwnage is mentioned halfway down the page. Someone should make sure he gets the $400 churbo kit.
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

yea thats my thread....they told me to come here and ask....
Mjmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 249
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmx5 View Post
yea thats my thread....they told me to come here and ask....
Welcome. Please get it. It'll bolt right on and you can use it at 21psi as is.
miatacross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatacross View Post
Welcome. Please get it. It'll bolt right on and you can use it at 21psi as is.
how many hp does that compare to the mazdaspeed intake
Mjmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:26 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Grayslake IL
Posts: 410
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmx5 View Post
how many hp does that compare to the mazdaspeed intake
Read what I posted in your other thread. Try not to post again until you have read most of the stickies and done some searching around.
Aricjm15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
Junior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Makakilo
Posts: 444
Total Cats: 0
Default

That turbo kit is definitely not SPAM.
r808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmx5 View Post
yea thats my thread....they told me to come here and ask....
go back there and ask again.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #11
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 249
Total Cats: 2
Default

miatacross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,072
Total Cats: 253
Default

I wish I wasn't IP banned, I want to read the fail

But apparently it has crossed over onto our shores.
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #13
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

In mother russia, turbo hit you.


OP, get it and prove us wrong.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

We don't have to live up to that stereotype, right? Though I know a lot of people here like to.

mjmx5 (btw there are powerful people who would love to hear you tell them that the MJ is for the late zombie pop singer), there is a vast difference between a cold air intake and a turbo setup.

Cold Air Intake: a pipe and a filter that do nothing more than the stock intake system on your car except move the location from where air is drawn into the pipe. Take a breath. Take a breath 3 feet away. Did you feel more powerful?

Turbo: an exhaust driven turbine connected by a shaft to an air compressor that uses heat energy in the exhaust to force air into the engine. because of the increased pressure (and therefore increased mass) of air entering the motor, a turbo is able to increase the volumetric efficiency AND power of the motor significantly.

If you want a cold air intake, you don't need us. It is probably 3 bolts, zero time to set up, and zero tuning. It's also probably zero power.

A turbo requires much more time and effort but can result in (safely on a stock motor) an extra 100 wheel horsepower.

The ebay kit might get you half of that (for a while) and cause you a lot of headache, but if you read the linked threads above you'll start to understand why.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
We don't have to live up to that stereotype, right? Though I know a lot of people here like to.

mjmx5 (btw there are powerful people who would love to hear you tell them that the MJ is for the late zombie pop singer), there is a vast difference between a cold air intake and a turbo setup.

Cold Air Intake: a pipe and a filter that do nothing more than the stock intake system on your car except move the location from where air is drawn into the pipe. Take a breath. Take a breath 3 feet away. Did you feel more powerful?

Turbo: an exhaust driven turbine connected by a shaft to an air compressor that uses heat energy in the exhaust to force air into the engine. because of the increased pressure (and therefore increased mass) of air entering the motor, a turbo is able to increase the volumetric efficiency AND power of the motor significantly.

If you want a cold air intake, you don't need us. It is probably 3 bolts, zero time to set up, and zero tuning. It's also probably zero power.

A turbo requires much more time and effort but can result in (safely on a stock motor) an extra 100 wheel horsepower.

The ebay kit might get you half of that (for a while) and cause you a lot of headache, but if you read the linked threads above you'll start to understand why.
Cold air intake information is just terrible. The reason for it is to get cold air, which results in more power. It also gets rid of restrictive intake tubing. There's a time and place for it to be quite helpful, especially on a car that in stock form draws air from next to the exhaust manifold.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #16
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

In for dyno comparison of stock miata vs miata with cold air intake.

I put money on no change.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #17
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

With some POS CAI like are sold as boltons for the miata? No. They're crap.

Look at people who win races and need every last HP.

Have you SEEN the intake on this car?

Leaving on the crossover tube is idiocy. Post MAF/AFM CAI's are junk, other than cowl intakes. Those are proven horsepower, right there.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Yes but I feel that there is more done to that car then just a CAI.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Not relevant. Cold air is cold air. High pressure is high pressure.

You might not think it's worth 1-3 horsepower to do that kind of fine tuning, but there's power there to be had, development and competition makes it worthwhile.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #20
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
Cold air intake information is just terrible. The reason for it is to get cold air, which results in more power. It also gets rid of restrictive intake tubing. There's a time and place for it to be quite helpful, especially on a car that in stock form draws air from next to the exhaust manifold.
No way man, stock 2001 has a "cold air intake" with a flared snorkel that sucks in cold air (from behind a divider wall!) behind the headlight.



(I'd be willing to bet that someone comparing a $400 ebay turbo is not comparing a real cold air intake--let alone one that gives 3 hp)
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Today 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 PM.