When are cheap Ebay AN fittings acceptable? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 620
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Well, and neither of those really seal that well when just jammed over some -10AN male fittings previously welded into my valve covers.


It's BECAUSE RACE CAR at this point whether i like it or not.
I built race cars professionally... we used reinforced tygon hose on vent lines. Three reasons, it's lighter (light = good), it's cheaper (cheap = good), and you can see when stuff is venting or not with it. Sealed just fine with a good quality hose clamp.
Rennkafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennkafer View Post
I built race cars professionally... we used reinforced tygon hose on vent lines. Three reasons, it's lighter (light = good), it's cheaper (cheap = good), and you can see when stuff is venting or not with it. Sealed just fine with a good quality hose clamp.
Yep, will probably do this on the other cars, but i already paid good money to have these valve covers welded, so they're staying.

Yes, the transmission is hideous. Oh well.

Attached Thumbnails
When are cheap Ebay AN fittings acceptable?-20121127_192706.jpg  
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 1,187
Total Cats: 4
Default

these may be of use to you then: Fragola -10an 90 Degree Push-Lite Race Hose End

(ignore seller, I was just searching for -10an nipple fitting)
Preluding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 176
Total Cats: -4
Default

Nice build, but I've got to ask.. Why an fittings as breathers to the catch can and brass fittings with regular fuel line on your fuel rails?
Boost_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,780
Total Cats: 1,107
Default

Check out AN Fittings Direct, they are the same company that does siliconeintakes.com. I have been reasonably happy with the fittings from them in the past. Now I only use Aeroquip though, but that is because I can buy them locally. Honestly if you already paid to have the VC welded, stop being extremely cheap on the fittings. I have used cheap fittings in the past and they have always been a bigger pita then the money I saved has been worth.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preluding View Post
these may be of use to you then: Fragola -10an 90 Degree Push-Lite Race Hose End

(ignore seller, I was just searching for -10an nipple fitting)
Cool, will keep those in mind for later builds, but i've already got the line for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_addict View Post
Nice build, but I've got to ask.. Why an fittings as breathers to the catch can and brass fittings with regular fuel line on your fuel rails?
Fuel setup isn't done. That's just what came on the ITB setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Check out AN Fittings Direct, they are the same company that does siliconeintakes.com. I have been reasonably happy with the fittings from them in the past. Now I only use Aeroquip though, but that is because I can buy them locally. Honestly if you already paid to have the VC welded, stop being extremely cheap on the fittings. I have used cheap fittings in the past and they have always been a bigger pita then the money I saved has been worth.
Cool, thanks! I've spent much time on their site wondering about whether they're worth it, but never talked to anyone that had actually used them.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Maybe it's time to just buy the Ebay fittings and be the crash test dummy. If something blows up I'll help you fix it.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Maybe it's time to just buy the Ebay fittings and be the crash test dummy. If something blows up I'll help you fix it.
Well i fully plan on blowing up this first motor in an effort to see how far stock internals and oiling will tolerate being revved. Thinking about starting an over/under pool. I think i can see 9500rpms a few times before **** goes totally bad.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_addict View Post
Nice build, but I've got to ask.. Why an fittings as breathers to the catch can and brass fittings with regular fuel line on your fuel rails?


Better?

Attached Thumbnails
When are cheap Ebay AN fittings acceptable?-escort%252520fuel%252520system.jpg  
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #30
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 784
Default

Well the fail has arrived. I'll be sure to document my absolutely terrible experiences with them that will eventually push me to consider suicide.

Attached Thumbnails
When are cheap Ebay AN fittings acceptable?-20121203_205742.jpg  
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 1,187
Total Cats: 4
Default

Did I mention I used 1 ebay fitting (I had it kicking around) for my oil drain feed? Another zero pressure line...

it slowly seeps oil out...not a huge leak, just a drip every now and then, just enough to **** me off.
Preluding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #32
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preluding View Post
Did I mention I used 1 ebay fitting (I had it kicking around) for my oil drain feed? Another zero pressure line...

it slowly seeps oil out...not a huge leak, just a drip every now and then, just enough to **** me off.
Well, if i get a lot of fluid through these lines, it's because my motor is toast, so....
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #33
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 784
Default

BRB suiciding.




Ok, actually... these were pretty painless. No, they didn't FEEL as good as the XRP/Earl's/Aeroquip stuff i used everywhere else, but they assembled easily, fit fine, and the threads were fine.

Would i use them for liquids? Nah. Are they going to be just fine for this? Yep.


Attached Thumbnails
When are cheap Ebay AN fittings acceptable?-20121206_173720.jpg  
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #34
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,780
Total Cats: 1,107
Default

Who made your catch can?
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #35
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Who made your catch can?
Dude named Wade in Louisville. He welded the bungs into the valve covers as well.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #36
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,780
Total Cats: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Dude named Wade in Louisville. He welded the bungs into the valve covers as well.
How much did he charge to make the catch can?

I am planning on building me one similar to that in the spring. So I might be asking you for some more pictures of it in the springtime.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #37
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
How much did he charge to make the catch can?

I am planning on building me one similar to that in the spring. So I might be asking you for some more pictures of it in the springtime.
I think $130 for it. Internally baffled. 4 inlets, 2 drainbacks, forgot the size for the vents, but i might have the part numbers for the filters i ordered around here somewhere.

He might have another available if you're interested. He typically makes these for Hondas, they fit nicely where the batteries used to go.



Attached Thumbnails
When are cheap Ebay AN fittings acceptable?-20120515_172742.jpg   When are cheap Ebay AN fittings acceptable?-20120515_172727.jpg  
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
"Chimney Ethanol" E100 MiataGarage Engine Performance 5 09-30-2015 12:04 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.