All your Adaptronic boosted NB's are belong to us - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default All your Adaptronic boosted NB's are belong to us

For those that don't follow the build threads...

I drove it today!

Drove great. Adaptronic is Rapid Learing mods is pulling down the fuel cells to the target AFR's. It will take a bit of time, but I could drive this to work Monday.

Very civil, no bucking, no going lean, no knock. It's awesome. Still pig rich in boost, but it will come down.

After some gentle driving I did some 4th gear pulls at 8 psi wastegate. No drama, just boost. It's awesome. I'll probably have to go drive it again.

Woo Hoo!
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,796
Total Cats: 248
Default

Sweet! Only 104 post over.

Guess you're still running the base timing map? That thing sure looked retarded, pun intended.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,796
Total Cats: 248
Default

Oh yeah, you'll be needing one of these soon too.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...atsmx5/MBC.jpg

Cause boost is addictive.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

Way to go man, that sure must be nice. I am doing fine on Megasquirt but sometimes i feel like the code could be a bit better, esp with accel enrichments, boost control, idle control, autotuning, etc.

So i bet you are going to be happy with it
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

I want it bad.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
Oh yeah, you'll be needing one of these soon too.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...atsmx5/MBC.jpg

Cause boost is addictive.
MBC??? Not even. EBC enabled, just need the solenoid. It also has ability to have two maps for two boost levels. Oh, it also has adjustable max boost per gear.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
Sweet! Only 104 post over.

Guess you're still running the base timing map? That thing sure looked retarded, pun intended.

After I get fuel decent, it will automatically adjust timing if you enable it to. It records changs up and down in timing per cell against accleration rate and will automatically adjust it for max torque. This does take some time. Days, maybe. It isn't abrupt.

Last edited by Stein; 02-28-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

But how do you set it up to know which gear you're in considering we don't have a switch for that stock? Small moment switches around the shifter via the badass short throw that Travis should be building?

I wonder if the taller fulcrum spacer used in the ebay short throws could be remade/modified to incorporate gear switches to be used with the adaptonic. The larger spacer has all kinds of material surface area that can be machined/adapted for switch mounting.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
After I get fuel decent, it will automatically adjust timing if you enable it to. It records changs up and down in timing per cell against acceration tate and will automatically adjust it for max torque.
I just jizzed in my pants.
Where do i sign? Seriously.

This beast is using the stock crank and cam sensor right?
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,796
Total Cats: 248
Default

Is it closed loop EBC? Be careful with the ECU adjusting timing on the fly. I'd rather do that myself. What if you detonate? And how does it know what gear you're in?
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
But how do you set it up to know which gear you're in considering we don't have a switch for that stock? Small moment switches around the shifter via the badass short throw that Travis should be building?

I wonder if the taller fulcrum spacer used in the ebay short throws could be remade/modified to incorporate gear switches to be used with the adaptonic. The larger spacer has all kinds of material surface area that can be machined/adapted for switch mounting.
You have to set it up to "learn" that. There is a page where you put in a speed, tell it what gear and have it learn the RPM and speed. It can scale it from there, up and down so it always knows that if you are at X speed at Y rpm what gear you are in. It uses the speed sensors that are already in the car (NB). The same sensors are used for the traction control. No need to buy anything for traction control.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
This beast is using the stock crank and cam sensor right?
Stock everything. All I did is hook up the GM AIT to the stock AIT, hook the +5V from the MAP to the TPS for 5V (I did that wrong the first time and used the three wires in the MAF) Still using the ground and signal from the MAF. Wire in the WB serially and plug it in. That is absolutely it.

Tune idle (three or four cells) by hand to the WB and then drive and autotune.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
Is it closed loop EBC? Be careful with the ECU adjusting timing on the fly. I'd rather do that myself. What if you detonate? And how does it know what gear you're in?
Timing adjust at whatever increment that you stipulate, so it can't do something stupid. There is a knock sensor that will also adjust timing. See above for gear. Really simple when you think about it. If it knows one single RPM and speed in each gear it can extraploate the rest.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

Got mine in today
and then come back after working on the car some more and the map sensor came in as well

Glad to hear your car's driving and behaving well....I have a few leaks that made themselves known after turning it on and letting it idle for a bit
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Wow that's cool. Only discrepancy is speedo inaccuracy. My car reads about 9 MPH faster than my GPS. With 205/50r15s and the stock 4.30 gears with the stock speedo sensor. Wonder where the discrepancy comes from, no idea what stock tire diameter is supposed to be.

You guys are all running the 3 bar map sensor right?
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #16
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
Wow that's cool. Only discrepancy is speedo inaccuracy. My car reads about 9 MPH faster than my GPS. With 205/50r15s and the stock 4.30 gears with the stock speedo sensor. Wonder where the discrepancy comes from, no idea what stock tire diameter is supposed to be.

You guys are all running the 3 bar map sensor right?
As long as it is close and you use the same speedo (duh) it won't matter. You could use a common speed if you wanted to to minimize inaccuracy. Say, let it learn at 40 in every gear.

Yes, we are using the 3 bar GM MAP. Same one as DIY Autotune sells.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Got mine in today
and then come back after working on the car some more and the map sensor came in as well

Glad to hear your car's driving and behaving well....I have a few leaks that made themselves known after turning it on and letting it idle for a bit

Glad to see that you have received everything. I was really lucky (or diligent). Zero leaks or problems. New clutch is sweet. The only thing that I have to do is adjust a muffler hanger as I am getting some rattle on the midpipe to the rear subframe. It's the only part I didn't build as it was already welded to the muffler. Minor issue.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,578
Default

Hey stein is your egr blocked off or are you still using it? also, did you install the check valve in the line going to charcoal canister? what about the primary o2 sensor? I had 2 and left the 2nd one but removed the 1st...... I started the car up today and let it idle for a long time (on stock ecu) and it smokes like a BITCH (black smoke) as well as idle is all over the place. Dont know if its something wrong or because its on stock ecu or whatnot. Hoping once the adaptronic is on and map sensor hooked up at least one of these problems goes away
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #19
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Hey stein is your egr blocked off or are you still using it? also, did you install the check valve in the line going to charcoal canister? what about the primary o2 sensor? I had 2 and left the 2nd one but removed the 1st...... I started the car up today and let it idle for a long time (on stock ecu) and it smokes like a BITCH (black smoke) as well as idle is all over the place. Dont know if its something wrong or because its on stock ecu or whatnot. Hoping once the adaptronic is on and map sensor hooked up at least one of these problems goes away
I blocked off the EGR. Just made a plate and removed the tube.

No installation of a check valve - do I need one? Never saw anything about it in the BEGI installation instructions that I used as a guideline.

I had two bungs in the DP and one in the midpipe, so I am using all three. Stock in the top one, WB right before the cat, stock in the midpipe in the stock rear location.

Probably won't idle for **** with no MAP or MAF as it has no idea how much air is there.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

As an aside, I drove it for about half an hour and never threw a CEL in or out of boost.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.