Almost caught a good one - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default Almost caught a good one

Set the hook and fought him to the boat but he got off at the last minute.

I mean, really?

http://starcityracing.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=44673
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Back in high school one of my summer jobs for about 10 minutes was working at O'Reilly's auto parts. We actually managed to find a legitimate part labeled "muffler bearing" for some old POS dodge vehicle. What was the bearing? A turbocharger CHRA bearing.

Shocking people actually fall for that stuff, even when they think they're 'car guys.' I lol'd.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

that is awesome, lol.

reminds me of a co-worker (female) who sounds like this guys cousin, and we convinced her that smegma cheese was great on sandwiches and to ask the guy at the deli. shoulda seen her face the next day when she came in after going to the supermarket....
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,318
Total Cats: 1,917
Default

A friend of mine used to be the manager of a Discount Auto Parts in Florida.

The hazing ritual for new employees consisted of a "customer" coming into the store looking for a water pump for a VW Beetle. (The manager in question owned a '74 Beetle, so his participation lent credibility to the experience.)

Pure evil.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
A friend of mine used to be the manager of a Discount Auto Parts in Florida.

The hazing ritual for new employees consisted of a "customer" coming into the store looking for a water pump for a VW Beetle. (The manager in question owned a '74 Beetle, so his participation lent credibility to the experience.)

Pure evil.
I had damn near the same experience (friend managed an auto parts store, hazed NOOBs), except we would ask for corvair thermostats.
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,318
Total Cats: 1,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Ciesielski View Post
I had damn near the same experience (friend managed an auto parts store, hazed NOOBs), except we would ask for corvair thermostats.
I'm not intimately familiar with the cooling system on the Corvair (any engine in which the fan belt makes a hard 90 turn is suspect in my opinion), but the Beetle, along with all the rest of the Type 1 VWs, actually did have a thermostat. It was a bellows-type device which moved a set of louvers that regulated the flow of air out of the fan shroud, and also directed air outwards onto the heads when open.

Unfortunately, mounting provisions for this mechanism were almost universally omitted from aftermarket fan shrouds, and owners who installed these fan shrouds usually just tossed the whole mechanism into the trash, so they are relatively rare today. Without this system in place, any engine with a "36 hp" or "doghouse" style fan shroud will suffer from both over-cooling of the cylinders and under-cooling of the heads.

Curiously, the 911 never had a thermostat system to the best of my knowledge.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: seabrook nh
Posts: 397
Total Cats: 0
Default

many moons ago i was the dept mgr for automotive at walmart. we had a tire lube express(TLE) and one of my friends after doing 4 new tires on a car he noticed the drivers side blinkers didnt work. he talked to the guy and said that he was out of blinker fluid and that we could fill it up for him, the customer then said "no thanks, ill fill it up, im a mechanic".. 30 minutes passed and he came back asking where we kept the fluid because he couldnt find any.

thankfully my friend was nice enough to tell him the truth that he just needed bulbs, but after the customer left we almost died laughing.
bayside blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 620
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I'm not intimately familiar with the cooling system on the Corvair (any engine in which the fan belt makes a hard 90 turn is suspect in my opinion), but the Beetle, along with all the rest of the Type 1 VWs, actually did have a thermostat. It was a bellows-type device which moved a set of louvers that regulated the flow of air out of the fan shroud, and also directed air outwards onto the heads when open.

Unfortunately, mounting provisions for this mechanism were almost universally omitted from aftermarket fan shrouds, and owners who installed these fan shrouds usually just tossed the whole mechanism into the trash, so they are relatively rare today. Without this system in place, any engine with a "36 hp" or "doghouse" style fan shroud will suffer from both over-cooling of the cylinders and under-cooling of the heads.

Curiously, the 911 never had a thermostat system to the best of my knowledge.
911 has a completely different style of shrouding and a better fan. Popular in the aftermarket on big displacement VW engines and Type IV swaps now because it cools better.
Rennkafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,318
Total Cats: 1,917
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennkafer View Post
911 has a completely different style of shrouding and a better fan. Popular in the aftermarket on big displacement VW engines and Type IV swaps now because it cools better.
Yeah, I've seen the 911-style conversions from Bernie Bergmann and FAT Performance.

It's not the cooling performance of them which I question, it's the "not-cooling" performance. All of these systems, as well as the actual 911, are fundamentally the same as the stock Type 1 cooling system, in that a crankshaft-driven belt turns a fan which blows air through a shroud and onto the cylinders and heads. The T1 used a squirrel-cage whereas the 911 used a axial-flow fan, but that's about the only meaningful difference.

But whereas the stock T1 cooling systems have always incorporated some kind of thermostatic device to prevent over-cooling the engine during warmup, I've never seen any such provision on any of these aftermarket fan systems. That's fine for the Baja 1000, but perhaps not so much for a daily driver.

Given VW's reputation for, shall we say "value engineering", it seems odd that they would add cost and complexity to the vehicle on a system which was not absolutely necessary. I mean, these are the folks who decided that an oil filter would have been too extravagant of an expense.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
Got bad Crank Angle Sensor and Random Misfire codes, but runs fine. Greasyman General Miata Chat 2 09-28-2015 11:44 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 PM.