Anybody here have tattoos to show off? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default Anybody here have tattoos to show off?

Just curious to who here is inked. I plan on my first here shortly. I've always been a huge Japanese culture fan, and a fan of tattoos, and have been planning a koi fish sleeve for a few years now. Waiting for the time to be right, and to find an artist I trust. I now know exactly what I'm wanting, and have no doubt about it.

I hate to seem like I'm copying someone else, but this just happens to be pretty much exactly what I want. The right look, the right layout, the right colors, everything. It's swimming up the arm to signify an uphill battle, the struggle of life, ect. The colors black and red signify maternal and paternal, of course you have the water, the meaning of the koi itself, and even down to the color of the eyes, emerald green. I also don't like a lot of color, only a few similar colors, nothing bright. I'm going to let the artist do his own thing though, after I approve a sketch of course. Anyway, if you have it, show it please. I'm curious to see.

NOT MINE! \/
Name:  koi-tattoo.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  86.7 KB
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

my tattoo is embarrassing and I want to remove it.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Is it this?





How would you explain that to your grandchildren at the swimming pool...
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

It's nice but Koi fish tattoo's are played out imo.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

If it isn't on a naked young girl, it is not worth posting.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
It's nice but Koi fish tattoo's are played out imo.
Well I'm surely not getting it because other people have it, so it being played out is not a concern, because it's still a beautiful piece of art at the end of the day.

This thread apparently is fail, and has AIDS. If I could pull the plug on it I would.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Unbannable
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Trent Hills, ON
Posts: 156
Total Cats: 1
Default

Attached Thumbnails
Anybody here have tattoos to show off?-roadster.jpg  
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

Name:  kat-von-d2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  23.9 KB
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Von D,

People get some pretty stupid **** tattooed. The only good thing about the CR thread is the comment about if it's not a piece of art you wouldn't hang on your wall, it's not worth putting on your body. I don't want some mediocre bullshit.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,687
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

I'm not a fan of tattoos because they are trendy, just like everybody else, so you can be different, just like everybody else.

The best or most original tattoo in the world will still be trendy and as out of fashion as a mullett in a few years. People are already laughing at people with tribal/barbed wire rings around their arms and they were all the rage fifteen years ago.

I wouldn't get one for the sake of not defacing my gorgeous body and, of course, the employment/advancement issues that also accompany them. But we are all different, just like everybody else, so your choice is your own. I hope that you find fulfillment in whatever you do.

I will say, however, that the tattoo pictured above is the cat's ***.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

I wouldnt tattoo myself for the hell of it, or because it "cool". I do have one in memory of someone very special and close friend that passed away.
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
I'm not a fan of tattoos because they are trendy, just like everybody else, so you can be different, just like everybody else.

The best or most original tattoo in the world will still be trendy and as out of fashion as a mullett in a few years. People are already laughing at people with tribal/barbed wire rings around their arms and they were all the rage fifteen years ago.

I wouldn't get one for the sake of not defacing my gorgeous body and, of course, the employment/advancement issues that also accompany them. But we are all different, just like everybody else, so your choice is your own. I hope that you find fulfillment in whatever you do.

I will say, however, that the tattoo pictured above is the cat's ***.
I agree with that. People get tattoos for a lot of reasons, though a lot of them are just cases of people wanted to buy into a trend. I however am doing because I want it, and like the way it looks. My concern for what other people think is pretty low on the scale. I don't think this style tattoo will ever not be liked by myself, since it's art. A good piece of art is always a good piece of art. Japanese culture and art has been my thing for a long time now, and I don't see myself ever not liking it. The job reason I can also understand, but that's why it will be a 3/4 sleeve and will be easily covered by a long sleeve shirt. I don't ever plan to work in a high end office job with suit and tie, so I'm not really worried about it.

I also just don't see this particular style of tattoo fading away any time soon. It has a long history, has been popular for many hundreds of years, and is timeless in my opinion. Besides, you never know if you will regret something until you do it. I would rather get it and have a chance of regretting it later, than not getting it, and regretting for sure. I don't think I will though. Like I said, this has been a long, well thought out thing. I'm not drunk and passing by a shop with a group of friends.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,703
Total Cats: 237
Default

Good tattoo art is extremely rare, sadly. Get good art, if you are getting a 3/4 sleeve by a good artist it will be at least a $1400 piece. If not more.

I say go for it, people are to worried about their temporary bodies these days.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireindc View Post
Good tattoo art is extremely rare, sadly. Get good art, if you are getting a 3/4 sleeve by a good artist it will be at least a $1400 piece. If not more.

I say go for it, people are to worried about their temporary bodies these days.
Yeah, I was looking at $1200-$1500 estimated. Fortunately I'm not a real big guy, so I have a smaller canvas. The guy isn't the best I have seen, but he is local, and is easily in the top 10% I have seen. I have seen some of his work and he does the style tattoo I want very well. While I would love to say I want the best, I'm not willing to travel, or pay the really big bucks. I can get 95% of the results local and for a decent price. He has the best example of this art in the state that I have seen anyway, which isn't exactly saying much. People don't think Alabama when they want a tattoo.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #16
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon01 View Post
How do you know my niece?
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
How do you know my niece?
I beat my meat thinking about her on and off.
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffoon01 View Post
I beat my meat thinking about her on and off.
You too!? I have a laminated poster I keep rolled up under my desk I like to whip out when I'm in the mood. I give it to her in the FACE!!!



*Great 4,000th post! 2 1/2 years of contributing nothing useful to the turbo Miata community.

Last edited by NA6C-Guy; 06-15-2010 at 06:08 PM.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

I've got a Japanese Dragon full sleeve. From the top of my foot to my knee I have a Koi. I've also got a couple of smaller pieces too, one which was covered by the sleeve.

Someone good is going to be expensive. My sleeve took 34 hours, my leg was about 25 hours. My artist charged me by session on the leg, which was 5 at $500. The sleeve is much older and I was charged by the hour @$100, but given a break because the original estimate was much lower, so he basically have me one session (about 6 hours( for free.

Good tattoos are not cheap.

As for the trendy comments. Meh. I've been getting tattoos for more that 17 years, as with the first and the latest I get them for me not to be trendy or cool. My only regret with my first and second was going to a shitty "artist" and not being educated enough to make good decisions.

Think it through before you make a decision, and if you are shopping by price buy a t-shirt or a print with what you want instead. Nothing will be worse than a poorly executed blob of tattooed crap on your arm for the world to see.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
I've got a Japanese Dragon full sleeve. From the top of my foot to my knee I have a Koi. I've also got a couple of smaller pieces too, one which was covered by the sleeve.

Someone good is going to be expensive. My sleeve took 34 hours, my leg was about 25 hours. My artist charged me by session on the leg, which was 5 at $500. The sleeve is much older and I was charged by the hour @$100, but given a break because the original estimate was much lower, so he basically have me one session (about 6 hours( for free.

Good tattoos are not cheap.

As for the trendy comments. Meh. I've been getting tattoos for more that 17 years, as with the first and the latest I get them for me not to be trendy or cool. My only regret with my first and second was going to a shitty "artist" and not being educated enough to make good decisions.

Think it through before you make a decision, and if you are shopping by price buy a t-shirt or a print with what you want instead. Nothing will be worse than a poorly executed blob of tattooed crap on your arm for the world to see.
Just in the last few hours I have thought maybe I would be smart to have something done by the artist, in the same style, somewhere less conspicuous, and less prime real estate, like the calf. To be sure I really do like his work, on ME. My legs are covered most of the time anyway. If I really get into it like I think I will, maybe I could end up connecting the arm sleeve with the calf in a full right side half suit type thing.

The guy I will probably be going to charges per sitting (up front estimate), and a guy I was talking to said he was charged about $250 per 2-3 hour sitting. Which seems to be about on par at about $100/hr. If not maybe a bit over priced, since the dollar goes a bit farther here than some other places in the country.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
No spark while cranking? navalhawkeye MEGAsquirt 9 10-07-2015 08:10 PM
MSPNPPro-MM0105: Coolant Temperature Output slomiata MEGAsquirt 5 10-07-2015 02:11 PM
Cannot set Base Timing to 10* Elfering MEGAsquirt 50 10-05-2015 09:04 AM
1.8, C30-74 Rotrex, 9psi, 235WHP/190WTQ (E85) Lincoln Logs Dynos and timesheets 4 09-23-2015 01:26 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.