Car laws in utah and military? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to   Members

Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cedar City, UT
Posts: 228
Total Cats: 4
Default Car laws in utah and military?

anyone know how they deal with inspections?

Im supposed to be transfering there by the end of the year and im wondering what they do for the inspections

is OBD2 involved, or do they just strap the car down and check emmisions?

one of my supervisors says there is a few performance shops i the area that deal with that kind of stuff, but the most hes ever done with with his car was I,H,E, and he did not swap the ECU out

i have a 97 so it "had" the obd2 stuff

Dlaitini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: N/A
Posts: 360
Total Cats: 0

With the mil you just keep it registered in your home state and follow their laws for emissions....the military's inspection is just a basic safety check.

edit: fixed my answer because it sucked.

Last edited by mikeflys1; 05-16-2008 at 07:55 PM.
mikeflys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nellis AFB
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 1

Mike has it right. When i was stationed at Robins AFB, Ga. I changed my state of residency to Ga (no smog laws) and now I don't have to worry about it here at Nellis AFB (Las Vegas).
mr_mazda329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
samnavy's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175

^Correct, but...

Some bases require when you PCS that you acquire base TAGS for that base or region.
Some bases (base CO or regional policy) require that no matter where the car is registered, you must have a local smog check.
Some base rules for smog checks do not require that you actually pass... just that you had the test done.
Some bases in the same are as others are more lenient than others about requiring you to submit the "proof of check" paperwork.

Call the base and ask. Base "Pass and Tag" phone numbers are usually located on the base website. Get a fresh TAG before you leave your current duty station so you're covered as long as possible.

As a member of the military, your state of permanent residence should be one with no "state income tax"... it's worth $100k+ over the course of your career. The reason most Naval Aviators are residents of Florida their whole career is because of that. We all roll through Pensacola for flight school and establish "permanent residency" by getting a drivers license and registering to vote and we never have to pay state income tax again. Florida also has no smog laws and registering a new car can be done almost comletely online... forever.

Texas, New Jersey, Nevada, and few others also have no State Income Tax.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #5
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nellis AFB
Posts: 189
Total Cats: 1

Dont forget Tennesse with no state tax.
mr_mazda329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
Please school me on life insurance... samnavy Insert BS here 14 10-11-2015 12:21 AM
Foreign powered NB for NASA ST3 and/or E0 d k Race Prep 44 09-15-2015 11:59 AM
Twitchy car (tail happy problem) bigben Race Prep 16 09-11-2015 04:41 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.