dieting could be the the most agonizing human experience - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 AM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

1100 Calories...wtf?

Man when I was running cross country two years ago I was eating upwards of 6000 a DAY and loosing weight. I was 5'8" 117lbs....I ran three times a day and lifted...I could bench like 160 (lol) and full squat almost 400, my back couldn't hold much else...

I prolly still eat 3000....lol I'm 5'8 130...and lazy...

I miss being in shape.
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:40 AM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,980
Total Cats: 14
Default

I've gained every bit of this back PLUS an extra 5 pounds. I attribute it to drinking liquor every day...


http://www.lightweightmiata.com/ultimate/ultimate.htm
rmcelwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:51 AM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelwee View Post
I've gained every bit of this back PLUS an extra 5 pounds. I attribute it to drinking liquor every day...


http://www.lightweightmiata.com/ultimate/ultimate.htm
Better get your *** back to the gym...
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:55 AM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sammamish, Washington
Posts: 1,396
Total Cats: 0
Default

Did the wife get mad you put it all back on? The father of a buddy of mine lost about 100 lbs and now I think his wife just wants to ride him all day long

I gotta get in shape for my wedding coming up.....
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,980
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopentuning View Post
Did the wife get mad you put it all back on? .....
Part of the problem is my wife is about the best cook in the world. It is so hard keeping weight off around here - plus all the booze takes a big toll on my weight.
rmcelwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:59 AM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

I though Kuwait was going to make it easy to lose weight, but everything in the DFAC (free chow hall for soldiers) seems to be fried or some kind of simple carb like pasta or rice. Doesn't help that right after I got here my appendix popped and I had to have an appendectomy and the following bedrest/no lifting/no situps profile.

As soon as I'm able though I'm hitting the gym. Before I joined the Army, I had just gone from 235 to 184 pounds (5'11"). I just ate relatively clean and did a LOT of trail bike riding.

EDIT - I can also vouch for not limiting your calorie intake and doing lots of exercise. I must've been eating 4k plus calories a day when I lost the aforementioned 51 pounds, but I burned so many it didn't matter.

Last edited by kotomile; 05-02-2007 at 05:12 AM.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopentuning View Post
Did the wife get mad you put it all back on? The father of a buddy of mine lost about 100 lbs and now I think his wife just wants to ride him all day long

I gotta get in shape for my wedding coming up.....

Ahh congrats. I tried to do the same for mine, didn't work. There tends to be a bunch of **** to do those last few months before the day, then you don't want to do anything for a while afterwards. I'm still +20lbs than when I graduated college 5yrs ago :(
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #28
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

damn i only average about 10 lbs a year but i wasn't going for mass just strenght. nice job hustler.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:59 AM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Newbsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,304
Total Cats: 2
Default

The best way to lose weight is NOT a drastic cut in calories. Your body will turn to eating the next available source of energy (aka any muscle you have). You need to cut calories alot slower. Use a BMR calculator and find out your daily caloric intake and reduce it by 200 a day while eating healthier natural foods. A good resource for weight loss/gain is bodybuilding.com. When I was personal training I used alot of information from there.

As far as brian (neogenesis), I would recommend using a high repetition weight lifting regiment. You should be able to get a cardio workout out of weightlifting in it self in conjunction with walking. For example, you would do 3 sets of 20-30 reps at lower weights with less break (30 curls, 30 triceps dips/extensions, break, reset). I personally use walking as a method of trimming, as do most body builders. Running generally will put you in a muscle burning state after awhile, so in order to burn fat and not muscle its easier to monitor your heart rate while walking. The best "seat of your pants" pace indicator is you should just BARELY be breaking a sweat.

Hope this helps, and now I know what SpamNavy's posts look like!
Newbsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #30
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
only 19, I'm sure it'll catch up to me in the future
dood. I put on 40 lbs in college. no joke. of course 145 lbs at 6' tall isn't exactly ideal, so I'm not too upset about it.

and Robert: tell your wife to cook healthier food. a good cook can make anything taste awesome. GRILL GRILL GRILL!
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #31
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,793
Default

at least I'm not the only fatty here :gay:
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #32
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
The best way to lose weight is NOT a drastic cut in calories. Your body will turn to eating the next available source of energy (aka any muscle you have). You need to cut calories alot slower. Use a BMR calculator and find out your daily caloric intake and reduce it by 200 a day while eating healthier natural foods. A good resource for weight loss/gain is bodybuilding.com. When I was personal training I used alot of information from there.

As far as brian (neogenesis), I would recommend using a high repetition weight lifting regiment. You should be able to get a cardio workout out of weightlifting in it self in conjunction with walking. For example, you would do 3 sets of 20-30 reps at lower weights with less break (30 curls, 30 triceps dips/extensions, break, reset). I personally use walking as a method of trimming, as do most body builders. Running generally will put you in a muscle burning state after awhile, so in order to burn fat and not muscle its easier to monitor your heart rate while walking. The best "seat of your pants" pace indicator is you should just BARELY be breaking a sweat.

Hope this helps, and now I know what SpamNavy's posts look like!
meh, I'm lifting big weight in 5x5 super sets, then doing 3 10 minute sessions of HIIT running. I also eat all carbs in the morning, some fruit and tuna or chicken at lunch, then one chicken breast at dinner. I only plan on cutting for 1 month, then bulking again.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #33
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 464
Total Cats: 0
Default

What does your bulking diet look like? I've only ever been able to cut... in my younger days I was stable at 140 pounds eating ~4000 calories a day, I could drop 4-6 pounds a week by dropping my intake down to that 1000 a day range. Now that my metabolism hit a wall and I'm no longer working the ridiculous 12-36 hour shifts I can only manage about 2 pounds a week. Never really noticed a loss in lean mass either. I'm sure that it was there but it was far outstripped by the fat loss.

I'm trying to bulk now but I think I'm gaining too much fat with the muscle...
PAT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #34
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT! View Post
What does your bulking diet look like? I've only ever been able to cut... in my younger days I was stable at 140 pounds eating ~4000 calories a day, I could drop 4-6 pounds a week by dropping my intake down to that 1000 a day range. Now that my metabolism hit a wall and I'm no longer working the ridiculous 12-36 hour shifts I can only manage about 2 pounds a week. Never really noticed a loss in lean mass either. I'm sure that it was there but it was far outstripped by the fat loss.

I'm trying to bulk now but I think I'm gaining too much fat with the muscle...
When bulking I work a 5x5 super set, focusing increasing weight weekly. I eat clean, with complex carbs in the am and lunch, then eat lots of protein at dinner. I eat a protein snack between which is a total of 1 can of tuna with coctail sauce on wheat crackers, or a salad with olive oil and vinegar. I total 4500cals per day on that diet, and it works well if I stay clean.

I do eat fattening foods when I go out to dinner, but only in small portions.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Man all this carb loading and protein snacking makes me want to go to McDonalds.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 564
Total Cats: 0
Default

Here are some facts about diet and excersize that I have learned:

1) Fat people know the most, they are experts at losing weight. Unfortunatley they are also really awesome at gaining weight back.

2) Losing weight isn't everything. Look at Jarod from Subway. I bet he thought eating 1000 calories a day was going to get him laid; but look at him, he's a douche and he's still ugly.

3) Common sense is the only way to lose weight, there's no tricks, miracle diets, crash diets, pills, 8-minute a day workouts or new research that will beat common sense.

4) Dieting doesn't work. You have to permanently alter your lifestyle. Dieting is a temporary solution. Diets can invoke immediate change but you were fat for a reason and if you don't find out what that reason is, and fix it permanently, you'll be fat again.

5) There is no easy way out. If it sounds too good to be true it is, or it's temporary.

I am 5'10 and 230lbs so I know the pain of not having a magazine body. I know what I have to do to lose weight but I don't have the desire, I guess, to do it now and keeping it off has always alluded me as it requires so much effort/misery. I have a hot girlfriend though, because, for lack of a more precise way to put it, I'm an *******. I think a lot of people want to change their bodies for the opposite sex. But you know, plenty of people with good bodies have no luck in that department. So if you're having issues there then it might be your attitude that needs a change rather than your body.
jwarriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #37
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarriner View Post
I am 5'10 and 230lbs so I know the pain of not having a magazine body. I know what I have to do to lose weight but I don't have the desire, I guess, to do it now and keeping it off has always alluded me as it requires so much effort/misery. I have a hot girlfriend though, because, for lack of a more precise way to put it, I'm an *******. I think a lot of people want to change their bodies for the opposite sex. But you know, plenty of people with good bodies have no luck in that department. So if you're having issues there then it might be your attitude that needs a change rather than your body.
I use my money for women...I pump zee iron for me.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 87
Total Cats: 0
Default

To all the people who think that's too little calories, there are people who live on that much and are in fact very healthy. Severely calorie restricted diets (in the 1000-1300 range) correlate with a longer life span, fewer degenerative diseases and a much lower incidence of cancer. It's a pain in the *** to do it right though, since you have to lower your intake gradually and use supplements.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #39
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 464
Total Cats: 0
Default

Lol. A diet is what you eat. Period. Dieting = eating. People that forget that are destined to fail to meet the goals that they set for themselves physically.
PAT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #40
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT! View Post
Lol. A diet is what you eat. Period. Dieting = eating. People that forget that are destined to fail to meet the goals that they set for themselves physically.
If I said "cutting sucks" people would think I was all emo and ****.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An Old Driver but a newbie in Miata Patriarca Meet and Greet 17 10-13-2015 02:34 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
Wilwood Dynapro/dynalite maintenance aidandj Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 37 09-28-2015 11:47 AM
Software/IT types/Joe P, step inside please z31maniac Insert BS here 13 09-22-2015 03:59 PM
FS Miatas at MRLS spot PatCleary Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 0 09-15-2015 02:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 AM.