First blown MS6 motor - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default First blown MS6 motor

This was one of the fastest MS6's around. The guy is a great poster, really dedicated to the community. He found the limits of the MZR motor... and has also since found a new motor. I want to mod mine so bad... but $$$ and the wife are keeping me from an intake/exhaust.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.ph...pic=73470&st=0
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

damn...

How do you like yours...I'm trying to talk the parents into one
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

All things considered, I wouldn't do it again. Mazda did not sort the AWD system on this car at all, it's constantly clunking and bumping and making you fully aware of it's presence (exactly the opposite of a Subie/Audi/Evo). It's got some serious tune/ECU related problems that Mazda is not interested in fixing... and Mazda is being particular asses about denying warranty work for any mod.

Owner: "my clutch is fried after 500miles."
Dealer: "Well, you installed an intake tube, so it's no longer under warranty."

It's starting to get like that. As more of the bugs are discovered and the drivetrain is exposing it's weak points now that people are putting some miles on them... Mazda is towing the line as far as the whole "A modification MAY void the warranty." Mine only has 2500 miles on it. I think I'm gonna wait until around 10k until I do anything else past the EngineMount... and even then, nothing that I can't remove if I've gotta take it in.

If you've gotta have a mid-size AWD, I'd look into a Legacy GT. If you can do FWD, a 2 or 3 year old Maxima or TLS would be my choice.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

that sucks.

I really like the LGT, its a great car also, I'm just a mazda guy at heart.
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamania View Post
that sucks.

I really like the LGT, its a great car also, I'm just a mazda guy at heart.


I'd buy the ms6 over it for daily duty, and theft issues.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,900
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
All things considered, I wouldn't do it again. Mazda did not sort the AWD system on this car at all, it's constantly clunking and bumping and making you fully aware of it's presence (exactly the opposite of a Subie/Audi/Evo). It's got some serious tune/ECU related problems that Mazda is not interested in fixing... and Mazda is being particular asses about denying warranty work for any mod.

Owner: "my clutch is fried after 500miles."
Dealer: "Well, you installed an intake tube, so it's no longer under warranty."

It's starting to get like that. As more of the bugs are discovered and the drivetrain is exposing it's weak points now that people are putting some miles on them... Mazda is towing the line as far as the whole "A modification MAY void the warranty." Mine only has 2500 miles on it. I think I'm gonna wait until around 10k until I do anything else past the EngineMount... and even then, nothing that I can't remove if I've gotta take it in.

If you've gotta have a mid-size AWD, I'd look into a Legacy GT. If you can do FWD, a 2 or 3 year old Maxima or TLS would be my choice.
Thanks for the warnings on the AWD... my wife wants a CX-7 and I've been having a hard time deciding if the extra money is worth it to get AWD instead of FWD. Guess I'll save the cash and put it towards the sunroof she wants.
Arkmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Legacy GT and MS3 are on the top of my list.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Guest
iTrader: (1)
 
ray_sir_6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 714
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
All things considered, I wouldn't do it again. Mazda did not sort the AWD system on this car at all, it's constantly clunking and bumping and making you fully aware of it's presence (exactly the opposite of a Subie/Audi/Evo).
I knew it was gonna be like that the moment it was released. It's a PTO AWD setup. Meaning FWD till they slip, then send some power to the rear wheels. I was actually talking to the guy at Rev-It-Up or Zoom Zoom last time about the MS6 before I drove it on the course. I had seen several people spin out going into the first 90 degree left hand turn. You would hear them squeal the tires, then go whipping around. It was the AWD system doing them in. The "announcer" denied it, saying the AWD system is to the standard of EVO's and STi's. I noticed the erratic shifting on just that one course. I was .04 seconds off the "time to beat" and only drove it once.
ray_sir_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,051
Total Cats: 7
Default

so how much power was he running?
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Total Cats: 0
Default

I got a subie for sale if anyone is interested.
Grumble_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #11
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1987

if the dealer denies a claim like that, shove that **** in his face and call the Federal Trade Commission at (202) 326-3128.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
I knew it was gonna be like that the moment it was released. It's a PTO AWD setup. Meaning FWD till they slip, then send some power to the rear wheels. I was actually talking to the guy at Rev-It-Up or Zoom Zoom last time about the MS6 before I drove it on the course. I had seen several people spin out going into the first 90 degree left hand turn. You would hear them squeal the tires, then go whipping around. It was the AWD system doing them in. The "announcer" denied it, saying the AWD system is to the standard of EVO's and STi's. I noticed the erratic shifting on just that one course. I was .04 seconds off the "time to beat" and only drove it once.

The evo's and sti's are some of the rare few (even among exotics) who use performance driven awd systems that permit some slip, and avoid the cyclical under/oversteer drama.


When my roommate bought her '06 miata, the dipshit selling the car kept telling she and I that the ms6 out handled the miata.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Doesn't the MS6 use the same AWD setup that the tribute does?

The AWD works fine in my Tribute, haven't had any issues with it. I've found it to be smooth and have very little drama while going from FWD to AWD.

If it is indeed the same my bet is that the majority of the issues are in the ECU.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

my friend broke the rear diff and an axle in his already, car is bone stock, i wouldn't buy one
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Holiday, FL
Posts: 563
Total Cats: 0
Default

fwiw I love my MS3

Fritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:22 AM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 4
Default

i was talking with some mazda guys and they were saying how the clutch and drivetrain such on the MS6
Pitlab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

they made the MS6 for the everyday guy; Someone who knows enough to get a MS6 over a Mazda6. It should be a great DD, but the didn't make it a car to go out and abuse....they made that fact very public, which doesn't make sense, since why bother even building a MS?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,927
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post


I'd buy the ms6 over it for daily duty, and theft issues.
Leg GT has great aftermarket support though. Nice performance bump from the factory ECU reflash.

Frank
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #19
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

Overall, it's been a great car so far. The only complaints are the sloppy AWD system. I fixed the universally hated stock clutch/shifting problems... easy to do requires a new motor mount and actually adjusting the clutch pedal closer to the floor. The interior is great. HVAC, ergonomics, seats, buttons, fit and finish, trunk, paint, overall, it's a ******* steal for the $25.5k I paid.

There's no doubt it's fast. The motor itself is VERY SMOOTH, except when the ECU is trying to remember what the hell it's doing. One of the major suspected issues on the MS6 forum is that Mazda used some very sensitive sensors and the ECU will throw a cel and cut boost at the slightest hint of an imbalance anywhere. It took the tuners several months to develop a CAI that wouldn't throw a cel. The stock TMIC shows about a 2-3 psi drop in pressure... which means when you go to the aftermarket TMIC that really kicks ***, you're seeing that much more boost at the motor and the ECU cuts the boost back and pulls fuel. They really didn't want you modding it.

But we all know Begi saw like 10awhp by just cutting a hole in the airbox of an MS3 (which I think also threw a cel). There are huge inconsistencies in stock power levels. Stock cars show anywhere from 208-230 from the factory.

Bottom line: it's a hi-psi turbo, first generation motor, lots of bugs... it's a teething process.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #20
Elite Member
 
Philip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,270
Total Cats: -4
Default

always thought a used subaru or an audi would be a better car than the MS6.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Nuke Mars! Joe Perez Current Events, News, Politics 8 09-30-2015 05:41 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM
another noob kr307 Meet and Greet 1 09-26-2015 11:33 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 PM.