I bought an old Honda. - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
In for vid of foot action. White socks and loafers required:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ekbvjyr0g]Ayrton Senna's - Heel-and-toe - YouTube
That is called the PWM method of throttle modulation.
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #22
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterschmidty View Post
How are you liking the NSX? There's one for sale here locally for $25k that looks like it's in pretty good shape. It wouldn't be the most practical purchase but it sure is tempting...
Sorry I missed your question - better late than never right?

Loving the NSX, everything about it, except maybe the ground clearance but an inch of that is my fault.

If I had to pick out downsides...

- things are more expensive to fix or upgrade than on a "normal" Honda
- (this is going to sound super douchey, but it's true) people give you lots of attention. Every time I drive it, camera phones come out, people want to talk to you at the light or when you stop. You won't slip away from anything unnoticed.
- idiots (and I mean in the classical sense) who have never driven one will tell you it sucks because it's underpowered and "still a Honda", whatever that means. Other idiots will assume you wanted a Ferrari but couldn't afford one, because why else would someone buy this car?


But those are very insignificant downsides compared with the awesomeness of the driving experience, which I strongly recommend you try if you get the chance.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,010
Total Cats: 583
Default

Well Matt, open invitation. If you're ever in the DFW area with your car . . . come out to MSR-C as my guest. All I ask is that I get to try the driving experience.

BTW, still enjoying your downpipe.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 1,990
Total Cats: 9
Default

I always wanted an NSX until a few years ago when I started to think it looked dated. I think the non-pop up headlights give it a more modern look. I remember looking up the conversion and it was pretty dang pricey.

I'll probably still get one eventually since it was my high school dream car...that and the FD.
kenzo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #25
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Everyone and their brother does the fixie conversion, lol.

I like that it looks dated (aka - classic).

Glad to hear it hornetball. Maybe next time I come to Texas for the race I could do a side trip up to Dallas with Trey and meet up with you.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #26
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,927
Total Cats: 526
Default

Nothing wrong at all with the classic look. Sweet car sir.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 291
Total Cats: 12
Default

Definitely better late than never. It sounds like you're really enjoying your car, that's awesome. I was able to resist by changing my route home so as to not drive past the dealership and sticking the money into investments. In a couple of years though I might be in the market for a fun/ridiculous car so I'll keep these in mind.
shooterschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

Sharp! Looks like a really clean car.

I really liked the couple I test drove before deciding on my C5 Z06. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find an example in my price range with low enough miles. If I wasn't so set on making gobs of power with little maintenance cost, I'd have held out for a good one.

I apologize if you've already answered this question, but what are your goals for this car?
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 160
Total Cats: 2
Default

Very nice! Can't decide another mkiv supra or find a na1 nsx and turbo it. Both have gone up a good amount in the last year. NSXs were 22-25k typically are now 28-35k for an accident free, under 100k mile clean car. I just love the exotic look and the honda/ senna/f1 history a nsx has
natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:42 AM   #30
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg View Post
Very nice! Can't decide another mkiv supra or find a na1 nsx and turbo it. Both have gone up a good amount in the last year. NSXs were 22-25k typically are now 28-35k for an accident free, under 100k mile clean car. I just love the exotic look and the honda/ senna/f1 history a nsx has
NSX does everything cheaper and it's basically a vintage Accord, which is a good thing.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 AM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 160
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
NSX does everything cheaper and it's basically a vintage Accord, which is a good thing.
everything cheaper? whats cheaper?

OEM parts - NSX more expensive.

Aftermarket - NSX more expensive.

Transmission cost - is equal I'd say.

NSX engine very expensive $4-5k - 2jzs dirt cheap $500-1500.


Supra makes 400whp very easily and cheap. NSX hp limit is around 500 before you trash the 5speed. I've built and owned a 700+ whp supra I know what the cost is and whats involved I just dunno if I'm over the HP game yet.
natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,010
Total Cats: 583
Default

Yeah, but a Supra will NEVER be an NSX. Sorry.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #33
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 649
Total Cats: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotomile View Post
Sorry I missed your question - better late than never right?

Loving the NSX, everything about it, except maybe the ground clearance but an inch of that is my fault.

If I had to pick out downsides...

- things are more expensive to fix or upgrade than on a "normal" Honda
- (this is going to sound super douchey, but it's true) people give you lots of attention. Every time I drive it, camera phones come out, people want to talk to you at the light or when you stop. You won't slip away from anything unnoticed.
- idiots (and I mean in the classical sense) who have never driven one will tell you it sucks because it's underpowered and "still a Honda", whatever that means. Other idiots will assume you wanted a Ferrari but couldn't afford one, because why else would someone buy this car?


But those are very insignificant downsides compared with the awesomeness of the driving experience, which I strongly recommend you try if you get the chance.

Do you get the kids who all have to "race" you in traffic? It's so bad in my Lotus that I got a personalized tag that reads "NOT RACN", just to discourage every mouth breather in a cavalier with a fart can exhaust from performing GTA 5 level stupidity just to get ahead of me. I'm imagine that NSX is a retard magnet too.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,703
Total Cats: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
Do you get the kids who all have to "race" you in traffic? It's so bad in my Lotus that I got a personalized tag that reads "NOT RACN", just to discourage every mouth breather in a cavalier with a fart can exhaust from performing GTA 5 level stupidity just to get ahead of me. I'm imagine that NSX is a retard magnet too.
You guys should race, NSX vs elise. GO
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #35
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg View Post
Supra makes 400whp very easily and cheap. NSX hp limit is around 500 before you trash the 5speed. I've built and owned a 700+ whp supra I know what the cost is and whats involved I just dunno if I'm over the HP game yet.
Shut up.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #36
Free Moustache Rides
iTrader: (8)
 
matthewdesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,656
Total Cats: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg View Post
find a na1 nsx and turbo it.
Somehow this FBM turbo NSX ended up at our local police impound, was not claimed, and got auctioned off. A friend of mine bought it for $17K. Runs great after sorting out a misfire. Currently sitting in his garage, still as dirty as it was on auction day
matthewdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #37
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,524
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdesigns View Post
Somehow this FBM turbo NSX ended up at our local police impound, was not claimed, and got auctioned off. A friend of mine bought it for $17K. Runs great after sorting out a misfire. Currently sitting in his garage, still as dirty as it was on auction day
17k? Son of a bitch!
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 160
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdesigns View Post
Somehow this FBM turbo NSX ended up at our local police impound, was not claimed, and got auctioned off. A friend of mine bought it for $17K. Runs great after sorting out a misfire. Currently sitting in his garage, still as dirty as it was on auction day
Thats a good deal.

There was a good deal on ebay ~6 months ago before prices shot through the roof. na1 sebring silver. 70k miles. 5 speed. accident free one owner. Listing was very brief, basically it was a older gentleman's nsx listed by his son. He couldn't drive it anymore due to health opening bid was 16k with a BIN @ 20k. day or two went buy then he changed the BIN to 17.5k and it sold within 15 mins. Crazy good deal that's a $27-30k car today.
natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #39
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

That's a SMOKING deal, these cars are appreciating in value.

I don't get a lot of guys trying to race. In NC I got a few Mustangs trying to show me how loud their exhaust are, but that was about it.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 AM   #40
Free Moustache Rides
iTrader: (8)
 
matthewdesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,656
Total Cats: 49
Default

Yeah, I'm still surprised he pulled that off. Deal of the decade for sure.

Kotomile, nice clean car you have there. These are one of the "outer orbit" bucket list cars for me, glad to see it in appreciative hands.
matthewdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
Bizarre connection issue? nick470 MEGAsquirt 1 09-30-2015 11:32 PM
Odd Steering issue interestedofold Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 09-29-2015 02:42 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.