I drove a C5 Z06 today. - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default I drove a C5 Z06 today.

Didn't learn much, except that my standards are different than most peoples'. Again.

I have to give the platform the benefit of the doubt and assume that the one I drove was laden with a lot of poorly selected, poorly adjusted and poorly maintained aftermarket stuff.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,505
Total Cats: 7
Default

chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow510 View Post
Didn't learn much, except that my standards are different than most peoples'. Again.

I have to give the platform the benefit of the doubt and assume that the one I drove was laden with a lot of poorly selected, poorly adjusted and poorly maintained aftermarket stuff.
What kind of mods?
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springfield IL
Posts: 2,750
Total Cats: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusha View Post
What kind of mods?

Seriously. A C5Z works great with very minor mods and some sticky tires.
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

Crazy heavy clutch, ridiculous high-effort short shifter. Way past the grey area between manly and undriveable. Bump steer in the rear, undetermined reason. Might be worn out bearings. That's a weak spot on Vettes. With the bump steer, not sure whether the odd responses on bumps are bad shock tuning or something needing maintenance.

I've been telling myself that the only excuse for spending as much as I have on my Miata instead of just buying a C5 is the cost of C5 tires vs. 205/50-15s.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow510 View Post
Crazy heavy clutch, ridiculous high-effort short shifter. Way past the grey area between manly and undriveable. Bump steer in the rear, undetermined reason. Might be worn out bearings. That's a weak spot on Vettes. With the bump steer, not sure whether the odd responses on bumps are bad shock tuning or something needing maintenance.

I've been telling myself that the only excuse for spending as much as I have on my Miata instead of just buying a C5 is the cost of C5 tires vs. 205/50-15s.
Why didn't you just write that **** in your first post instead of making somebody ask you for an explanation?
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, 'Murica
Posts: 2,505
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
Why didn't you just write that **** in your first post instead of making somebody ask you for an explanation?
He wanted a super cool story bro picture.
chicksdigmiatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

lol

I'd take a c5z over a miata any day. shitty bearings and all
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springfield IL
Posts: 2,750
Total Cats: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow510 View Post
Crazy heavy clutch, ridiculous high-effort short shifter. Way past the grey area between manly and undriveable. Bump steer in the rear, undetermined reason. Might be worn out bearings. That's a weak spot on Vettes. With the bump steer, not sure whether the odd responses on bumps are bad shock tuning or something needing maintenance.

I've been telling myself that the only excuse for spending as much as I have on my Miata instead of just buying a C5 is the cost of C5 tires vs. 205/50-15s.
I have the same clutch I had in the FRC, and an even shorter throw on this T56 as the last, but other then that, you pretty much nailed most the reasons I switched over to the Miata camp. Once you do some real work to a vette, you find out how much of a PITA they are. I'll own another one day, but it will be a new C6Z with a 100k mile warranty.
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,669
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

I've driven several different C5Zs on multiple occasions at high speed autocrosses with the Florida Corvette Racing Club. They are hard to turn good times with for several reasons. Even with r-compounds and sorted suspensions the steering is heavy and numb. The cars are very wide and quite heavy which makes them tough to flick and toss around in switchbacks. There is very little communication from the wheels back through any of the controls or the seat which leaves you guessing. Torque and throttle response are good throughout the rpm range. Braking was numb. Seats are comfortable and the legroom is superior to the Miata. All in all it feels much more like a grand tourer than a sports car.

At the club's dyno day four of them were putting down between 408-423whp on a Mustang dyno with no internal mods and stock or mild aftermarket mufflers/exhaust.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
At the club's dyno day four of them were putting down between 408-423whp on a Mustang dyno with no internal mods and stock or mild aftermarket mufflers/exhaust.
Really? Mine only made 412 with all my mods and a Formato tune...
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springfield IL
Posts: 2,750
Total Cats: 24
Default

Stock Z mufflers are not very restrictive.

Yes, it does feel a bit numb, but most like it that way. Its a PITA not having ABS in the Miata to nanny me the entire time..... keeping the tires from flat spotting.

It also takes a bit to get used to. They aren't like the Miata where you can jump in and go.
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpmnsws6 View Post
Stock Z mufflers are not very restrictive.

Yes, it does feel a bit numb, but most like it that way. Its a PITA not having ABS in the Miata to nanny me the entire time..... keeping the tires from flat spotting.

It also takes a bit to get used to. They aren't like the Miata where you can jump in and go.
The factory mufflers are extremely light as well compared to many aftermarket offerings.

The active handling can be a bitch though.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,686
Total Cats: 558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
All in all it feels much more like a grand tourer than a sports car.
Which is exactly what it was intended for. You thing the old guys that can afford them want raw sports car? No, they want to feel young again on the way to the wine tasting.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springfield IL
Posts: 2,750
Total Cats: 24
Default

I switched from Borla Stingers to the Ti's and lost a good 25 pounds in the process. Active handling is shut off first thing before any auto-x event. The first time you try to whip the car around a cone, it would kick in and send you going straight.
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #16
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Total Cats: 36
Default

I am interested to see what people say about the Grand Sport, as that is supposed to be a much more focused car, sort of like a GT3R compared to a basic GT3.
Sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Springfield IL
Posts: 2,750
Total Cats: 24
Default

Its weak. They have the price tag of a Z without the mph
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparetire View Post
I am interested to see what people say about the Grand Sport, as that is supposed to be a much more focused car, sort of like a GT3R compared to a basic GT3.
Uh, lol...
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #19
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Total Cats: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusha View Post
Uh, lol...
OK, bad example, but you get my idea.
Sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob from Hollywood, FL hector Meet and Greet 12 11-05-2011 04:03 PM
2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Review jacob300zx Insert BS here 23 10-17-2010 04:06 PM
Hello, picked up a turbo Miata today. G Rat Meet and Greet 8 12-06-2009 02:55 AM
What is it with kids and nitrous? Joe Perez Insert BS here 42 01-06-2009 12:59 AM
drove it to work, few problems miataspeed1point6 Prefabbed Turbo Kits 32 09-11-2006 01:32 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.