i quit smoking - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,480
Total Cats: 3
Default i quit smoking

cold turkey
UrbanSoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

you *****
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

How long?

I quit 1.5 years ago, cold turkey nothing aiding me. It was easy (after smoking pack/day for 17 years). The thing that really made it work for me was knowing that if I even entertained the idea of trying to smoke again I'd be fucked and hooked again. 1.5 years later and I rarely think about it. That was my 6th "serious" try. Just get it into your head that you will not EVER smoke again, and any temptation will put you back to square 1. It really is stunning how quickly the physical addiction to cigarettes goes away.

Good for you, keep up the good work.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 406
Default

pole?
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

****** ... now I have to wipe down my laptop. Pepsi through the nose is not something I recommend.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

I quit about 2-3 months ago and have had nothing but health problems since. I'm about to start again to see if I feel better. 2 months with a headache sucks. My doctors have no idea what is causing it.
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 407
Total Cats: 0
Default

hookah ftw...i cant stop smoking that ****!
krayzrac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
I quit about 2-3 months ago and have had nothing but health problems since. I'm about to start again to see if I feel better. 2 months with a headache sucks. My doctors have no idea what is causing it.
I'd rather have a headache than cancer. Actual withdrawl will not last 2-3 months. If you have headaches still, it's (no pun intended) all in your head if you think smoking will fix it. I'd stay off the cigarettes and find a new Dr.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
I'd rather have a headache than cancer. Actual withdrawl will not last 2-3 months. If you have headaches still, it's (no pun intended) all in your head if you think smoking will fix it. I'd stay off the cigarettes and find a new Dr.
i wasn't serious.. it's just getting old.. VERY OLD
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,796
Total Cats: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
i wasn't serious.. it's just getting old.. VERY OLD
Whew, glad you were kidding. My dad had health problems for 1 year after quiting. He had smoked for like 30 years, then finally quit one day. He got sick with bronchitis and was so sick the doctor said he had a 50% chance of making it, and suggested he not smoke another cigarette if he wanted to better those chances any. He stoped smoking, recovered after 2 weeks, and hasn't smoked since.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

Meh, i smoke like 3-4 clove cigs a day.... I did smoke reg. cigs. a couple years ago and i did get to the point where it was a pack a day :( Now a pack lasts ~1week.
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
How long?

I quit 1.5 years ago, cold turkey nothing aiding me. It was easy (after smoking pack/day for 17 years). The thing that really made it work for me was knowing that if I even entertained the idea of trying to smoke again I'd be fucked and hooked again. 1.5 years later and I rarely think about it. That was my 6th "serious" try. Just get it into your head that you will not EVER smoke again, and any temptation will put you back to square 1. It really is stunning how quickly the physical addiction to cigarettes goes away.

Good for you, keep up the good work.
Here's a surprise for you; I've been smoking for over 41 years (started at 13). I've quit a couple of times. I quit once for over 6 months; went to visit family in Madrid and everyone was smoking so I took a cigarette and here I am.

My wife quit about 2 months ago. I keep postponing it
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,480
Total Cats: 3
Default

i started smoking when i was around 12-13. then i quit when i was 15. didnt smoke for long time and started again when i was 20. now im 22 and i dont plan on starting again.

i feel horrible right now by the way... 3 hours of no smoking. 1 pack a day is what i usually smoke. sometimes more.
UrbanSoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Here's a surprise for you; I've been smoking for over 41 years (started at 13). I've quit a couple of times. I quit once for over 6 months; went to visit family in Madrid and everyone was smoking so I took a cigarette and here I am.

My wife quit about 2 months ago. I keep postponing it
You are 54?!?!

My dad quit when he was about 60, had smoked on and off (mostly on) since he was about 14. He's been good for about 6 years now.

Quit, just imagine how much extra $$$ you'll have for Miata parts. When I quit I took the money I'd normally spend in a month and put it aside. $250 / month adds up.

Bottom line for me is I didn't want my kids to remember me smoking. I quit about 1 month be fore my son's 2nd birthday.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
Meh, i smoke like 3-4 clove cigs a day.... I did smoke reg. cigs. a couple years ago and i did get to the point where it was a pack a day :( Now a pack lasts ~1week.
I'd honestly rather be kicked in the ***** 3-4 times a day rather than smoke a clove cigarette. All the shitty taste as a regular cigarette but with out all the yummy nicotine! Who the **** invented these things? Same twit that invented de-alcoholized beer. If you are going to smoke, smoke the good cancer producing cigarettes!

Seriously cloves smell like burning donkey.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
You are 54?!?!
And all this time I thought I was the old man here..Turns out i'm not even close..
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #17
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
You are 54?!?!

My dad quit when he was about 60, had smoked on and off (mostly on) since he was about 14. He's been good for about 6 years now.

Quit, just imagine how much extra $$$ you'll have for Miata parts. When I quit I took the money I'd normally spend in a month and put it aside. $250 / month adds up.

Bottom line for me is I didn't want my kids to remember me smoking. I quit about 1 month be fore my son's 2nd birthday.
sounds like my dad. started as a young teenager and quit when he was in his 60s because we made him smoke outside and he got tired of being ostracized. it took a few tries (his mother died, etc) but he is off them now.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSoot View Post
i started smoking when i was around 12-13. then i quit when i was 15. didnt smoke for long time and started again when i was 20. now im 22 and i dont plan on starting again.

i feel horrible right now by the way... 3 hours of no smoking. 1 pack a day is what i usually smoke. sometimes more.
Ok I sound like a cheerleader, and I appologize for that.

Don't put the smoking out of your head. Trying to ignore it is foolish. Pay attention to what your mind and body are telling you, but try and understand what is going on.

You feel like ****. That's your body wanting the nicotine. It is no coincidence that most people will smoke a cigarette about once an hour. So immediately after finishing your cigarette you feel "great", but really what you are feeling is the lack of want for the nicotine. Once you stop the nicotine rapidly leaves your system and the craving comes back. It's a ******* trap. If you cease smoking you'll no longer have the desire. The desire for the nicotine is not natural to your body, if you aren't consuming it you won't want it.

The nasty trick here is that you have fooled yourself into thinking smoking is pleasurable. Seriously its not. What you are doing is creating an uncomfortable condition in your body in order to relieve it. How ******* stupid is that?! Basically it's like walking around all day with your ***** in a vice only to get relief by removing them for 5 minutes once an hour. Insanity, and you are paying for the pleasure.

The bitch is getting to feel right again with out it. for me the first couple of hours were the suck. But once I reached about day four I knew I was beating it. And what kept me going is the knowledge that I would never smoke another cigarette in my life.

Be strong, you won't always crave it. And it is possible to beat it.

Read this guys book: http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #19
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 4,480
Total Cats: 3
Default

i got some nicotine gum just right now. gonna chew it only when i cant stand the craving any longer and im gonna try to push myself to stop chewing that nasty **** by end of this week. but i do feel a lot better now after that gum
UrbanSoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
pole?
damn! beat me too it
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM
Mystery Engine Trouble. Halp, mt.net! vehicular General Miata Chat 12 09-14-2015 04:17 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 PM.