I think the political threads need to stop. - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default I think the political threads need to stop.

The odd joke or snippet of humor within other threads is fine... but threads dedicated to politics is not something this forum needs. Yes, even the BS forum should be kept free of it. Political threads have absolutely ZERO value here, and it's only a matter of time before the stench of it starts leaking into the technical forums... and it will.

This place has a certain purity about it. We pride ourselves on lack of bullshit and make fun of other forums who don't... so please, take the politics elsewhere, leave MT out of it.

I'll ask the moderators directly to consider my request... no more political threads. The answer is not a subforum dedicated to politics either. I consider myself an active and fairly significant contributor to this place, so I hope my opinion counts for something.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,199
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

agreed
JasonC SBB or whatever his name is needs to cool it with the politics threads every 5 minutes.

I don't think we should eliminate them altogether, but IMO we should just have ONE thread and not like 10 about every ******* detail of the election/politics/stock market/etc...
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Yeah I think one once in a while is ok. But having a new one every 5 hours is getting old. Everyone thinks they're right and anyone who disagrees is a <insert 40 million insults that have been used recently> 95% of the political crap needs to go away.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

Jason and I may disagree in practice on the utility of debt-based fiat monetary systems, but I for one have no problem with any of the discussions that are raging in the BS section right now.

Y'all remember when we clarified the rules a couple weeks ago? Tell me who's violating what. Until then, I'm disinclined to start censoring things.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Samnavy; I think you're entitled to your opinion but in this case I must disagree with you. Political threads do indeed have a place in the BS section. Whether anyone is or not interested in them should be up to all the forum members to decide by skipping them or not.

I'm sure that once your election is over there will not be as many political threads as we're seeing right now but you have to at least recognize that the current circumstances are extraordinary. I'm much older than you (I've actually lived through a revolution and saw the US marines invade the country were I live to try to get things pointing in the right direction) and I for one had never seen a global situation as the one I'm seeing now.

I'm also a member of this forum and I try to contribute as much as I can with it. The way I see it is this: I peruse over the titles of some threads; when I find one I'm absolutely not interested in, I just don't take the time to read it.

I visit this forum to learn about my car but also to unwind, share some thoughts with others and learn. I don't agree with most of what Jason stands for in political and economics terms but I read most of what he links even though not many of the things I've read that he has posted will make a dent on my own convictions.

Sorry to disagree.

Rafa
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:37 AM   #7
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,199
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

my problem is with HOW MANY of the threads are made as opposed to just keeping everything in 1 or 2
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

if you don't like them, don't veiw them. simple concept
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #9
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,199
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

thanx for repeating joe
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:40 AM   #10
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
thanx for repeating joe
your welcome.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -1
Default

Dude, I've gone inactive on like 4 forums because all the guys refer to constant political talk. THIS IS A ******* CAR FORUM! You don't have to keep the BS section for cars too, but I'll check the news sites if I want to talk about current affairs and politics. Hell, I get on here to get away from reality for a while and bullshit with other people. Logic doesn't need to be a part of my bullshitting.

Now if you want to bring up a thread for opinion's sake, or bring a big issue to light, then I'm right with ya. Lets post the thread. But if you're making threads based on mundane news and small time events, then don't bother. I usually skip political threads, because of two things. First, they inevitably end up in a perpetuating argument, fueled by closed minds and open mouths. Second, they BORE ME. I don't care about your latest opinion on Obama or McCain or our foreign policies. Not while I'm on a Turbo Miata forum. I understand that we need to be more proactive as a society, and that young people need to become more involved, but if I wanted to discuss politics, I'd be on another forum.

P.S. McCain is a dumbass and Obama is a dick. That's my uninformed opinion and I'm sticking to it. Both candidates suck and I hope we don't get stuck with either. You wanna know what I've come to realize? "Politics", the subject, is nothing but a gilded popularity contest, fueled by money, lobbyists, and dirty brown-nosers. Take the money from the politicians. Pay everyone in the Government no more than 50% of what they make now (put a firm cap on their salaries) and let them govern a society without that big dollar sign in their eyes. Until you do that. I have no interest in what our situation is, because I can tell you how we got there (or here... whatever).
944obscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,703
Total Cats: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Jason and I may disagree in practice on the utility of debt-based fiat monetary systems, but I for one have no problem with any of the discussions that are raging in the BS section right now.

Y'all remember when we clarified the rules a couple weeks ago? Tell me who's violating what. Until then, I'm disinclined to start censoring things.
+1, even if i disagree with whats being said i like to read it. Its interesting to hear the opinions of some of the regulars on the forum.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

I usually just skip those threads as I am not here for politics. When I do read them I most often just end up losing respect for some of the members posting in them. Same thing on my local miata forums. I'd rather not know how politically ignorant my fellow miataphiles are.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantaylor View Post
if you don't like them, don't veiw them. simple concept
Thank you for completely missing the point.

This forum succeeds because of a common goal... modifying our Miatas. When our goals become trying to out-**** the other guy because we know he's a rat-bag dipshit Republican/Democrat who doesn't know **** about ****... then it becomes harder to succeed at our common goal.

Politicals and religion bring to the surface emotions and opinions that make it difficult to consider anything somebody says objectively without also remembering that they're a douchebag Republican/Democrat.

It might be subtle, but it also might be outright obvious... the influence of these political threads will soon start to be felt in the other subforms. This place will lose something in the process. If you consider our common goal, in the end, these threads can only hurt the forum.

If the forum concludes that there's nothing wrong with the political threads, I'll probably take a break from here for the next month. Sorry guys, I feel strongly that MT is above this ****. This will be my last post in this thread. I've had my say.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
Thank you for completely missing the point.

This forum succeeds because of a common goal... modifying our Miatas. When our goals become trying to out-**** the other guy because we know he's a rat-bag dipshit Republican/Democrat who doesn't know **** about ****... then it becomes harder to succeed at our common goal.

Politicals and religion bring to the surface emotions and opinions that make it difficult to consider anything somebody says objectively without also remembering that they're a douchebag Republican/Democrat.

It might be subtle, but it also might be outright obvious... the influence of these political threads will soon start to be felt in the other subforms. This place will lose something in the process. If you consider our common goal, in the end, these threads can only hurt the forum.
Quoted for truth. Thanks for putting my sentiments in paragraph form.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Quoted for truth. Thanks for putting my sentiments in paragraph form.
Yes. Agreed with Paul and Sam. Thanks for putting that out there. I joined this forum because of technical know-how and general knowledge in regards to the Miata. If I knew that there would be regular political discussion, as on other forums, then I would have seen no reason to sign up.

Also, its not whether I like the threads or not that should be the problem. Its when there are 4 or 5 ******* threads in a row, being updated with posts from the same 4 people and no other threads are active. I get tired of, "Republican party does (fill in the blank)" or, "Which political pendant will you be choosing" or, "Surfacing news about (insert politician here) and your opinion on it"
944obscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Actually, I started this thread to vent my frustrations about right-wing nutjobs at M.net who think [...]
I think this about sums up Sam's point. I found this in another political thread. If you've read through it, then you know which one. The rest of the quote isn't pertinent. As is the motive for creating such a thread. Just classifying a group of people based on their views.

:edit:

Granted we seem to pick on that board a god deal, but wasn't there a thread on here regarding another board (mazda related), that seemed to do nothing but pick on and make jokes about other people and forum boards? Seems kinda low to me.

Last edited by 944obscene; 10-11-2008 at 10:52 AM.
944obscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,614
Total Cats: 2
Default

I see where Sam is going with this, and I agree with the mindset.
But I also feel that we should all be man enough to not hold each others views against them in the future...
I for one have never looked at anyone as a douche/dick because of political or religious opinions.
Things can get heated in debate, but they should be left AT the debate. If we as a group can't distinguish one from the other then we fail...
TonyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Palm Beach Fl
Posts: 242
Total Cats: -2
Default

I agree with no more politics. Id like to see the BS section get back to its roots, pictures of naked women, camel toe, Mnet bashing and fart jokes
gman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Longs, SC
Posts: 2,583
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I usually just skip those threads as I am not here for politics.
+1. Once again I fail to contribute
icantthink4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.