Installed new memory and now my monitor is dead!!! - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default Installed new memory and now my monitor is dead!!!

WTF!!!

I ordered some Crucial 2gb memory to upgrade the existing 1gb of memory in my Asus EEEpc and now the ******* monitor is dead!!!

I got the exact kind it said to replace it with! I use this little ****** daily, so this kinda screws me up hardcore.

I'm going to call Asus and see what they say. Any advice?
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 0
Default

Put the old memory back in and see what happens. Maybe the new ram is no good. i've had that happen before. i've also had companies send me ECC memory and i couldnt figure out why it wouldnt work.
ArtieParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,292
Total Cats: 26
Default

Put the old memory back in and see if you jiggled anything while in there.

Jinx!
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

I can't see where memory would fall into the equation. Do like stated before and check to see if you might have done something to the monitor connection. I can't see why the connection for that would be accessible from the memory port cover, but it's possible.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

AARGGH....I rotated my tires, and now my car won't start!
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,833
Total Cats: 1,786
Default

argh, i just found out that I'm braineack...I just offed myself.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wellford, SC
Posts: 1,704
Total Cats: 1
Default

Same **** happened to me with the same computer and same RAM upgrade. However, mine worked for a week with the new RAM then died out of nowhere while browsing...
thagr81 us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,292
Total Cats: 26
Default

The EEEpc should be running the video off shared memory... thus if he has memory issues... then the video won't work.

So its either bad memory or the wrong memory. Could be other things... but those first two are the more likely.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wellford, SC
Posts: 1,704
Total Cats: 1
Default

So in theory if he puts the old 1GB RAM back in, it should work?
thagr81 us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Miotta FTW!
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,292
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thagr81 us View Post
So in theory if he puts the old 1GB RAM back in, it should work?
Most likely. Unless something else got messed up somehow.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

I should have mentioned that I tried putting the old memory back in with the same deal, no monitor.

I was careful not to **** anything up when I removed the old memory and put in the new one, so I don't think I could have done it myself.

I bought the memory that Amazon recommends for the EEEpc, only I didnt buy it from them.

The indian bitch on the phone just got me so aggravated that I'm going outside to have a smoke. This ******* lady was such a soft talker, and paused so long between words, etc etc. If I could have reached through the phone and choked the ****, I would have.

I'm going to give Amazon a call now and see what they'll do for me, seeing that I bought it from them.
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 0
Default

Does the eeePC have a VGA output on the side? You can try to hook it up to an external monitor and see if it works. If it does and your laptop screen doesn't work then there is something wrong with the screen or a connector leading to it.

But as mentioned you should try swapping in your original ram to see if the ram is the problem. I've had RAM cause issues with booting before.
grego9198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
The EEEpc should be running the video off shared memory... thus if he has memory issues... then the video won't work.

So its either bad memory or the wrong memory. Could be other things... but those first two are the more likely.
Well I was reading it like posted. Dead typically means fried or broken. I guess memory in this case would matter if the monitor is showing black and/or isn't booting. Not sure why putting the old memory back in wouldn't fix the issue. If it doesn't boot, it doesn't boot. It shouldn't change anything itself, settings wise.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Any time I've had bad memory, it wouldn't post and the mobo code indicated the memory.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

I'm on hold with Amazon now. Of course the first thing out of her mouth was "since its been more than 30 days.......blah blah blah".

I'm pissed. The computer was working fine until I put the new memory in. Now it wont even work with the old memory back in place. God DAMMIT!
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #16
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego9198 View Post
Does the eeePC have a VGA output on the side? You can try to hook it up to an external monitor and see if it works. If it does and your laptop screen doesn't work then there is something wrong with the screen or a connector leading to it.

But as mentioned you should try swapping in your original ram to see if the ram is the problem. I've had RAM cause issues with booting before.
So I just tried this but I'm not sure if its automatic or not. I hooked up the cable from the EEEpc to this monitor I'm on now, and when I switch from digital to analog there's no signal, but the EEEpc is on.

I think I might take it down to geekfags at bestbuy and see what they say. I want to know what caused this you know. Was it my fault? Was it the wrong type of memory? Was the memory bad?

At first the lady from Amazon told me to call Asus directly and deal with them, seeing that they offer a 1 year warranty. I told her that I was already on the phone with Asus and that I don't want to deal with them. She asked if I had a case number from them, which I did. Once I gave her that she put me on hold and came back and said her supervisor authorized a replacement unit, but unfortunately they don't have any in stock. So I can wait till they come in stock and call back, but who knows when that will be.

I think I'll see what the geeks say first I guess. Does anyone have an idea on what they charge for something like this? I'm hoping its something in the range of free. lol
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

It just doesn't make any sense to me that the memory would cause an irreversible issue with being able to boot. Swapping the faulty/incorrect hardware back to the old should make it work again. I have never had something like this happen with any hardware. At most it will fail to post and then work fine once I either seat it correctly, or swap back to old. Did you by any chance feel the old memory catch, hard to remove, or the new stuff tough to seat? Maybe it's a socket issue.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Antisaint
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Vashthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 4,659
Total Cats: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
It just doesn't make any sense to me that the memory would cause an irreversible issue with being able to boot. Swapping the faulty/incorrect hardware back to the old should make it work again. I have never had something like this happen with any hardware. At most it will fail to post and then work fine once I either seat it correctly, or swap back to old. Did you by any chance feel the old memory catch, hard to remove, or the new stuff tough to seat? Maybe it's a socket issue.
It came out easily and the new one popped in easily. I did snap the head off the screw that holds the little cover on, but I didnt mention that cause I'm sure it would matter. Other than that it seemed to seat just fine. Snapped in all the way, pushed down, and the clips swung in and held it.

I tried using this cable to see if anything comes up on this monitor, but with either the old memory or the new, still nothing. And now it's randomly shutting off on me. I tried hitting the FN and what looks like a monitor key (F8), and it just shut off.

See, I tired to save like $10 ******* dollars by getting the memory off ebay rather than Amazon, and now this **** happens. I assume there is such a thing as "bad" new memory? The package was sealed so it was new, but could it be bad?

This is only the 2nd time I've changed memory so please bear with me. I'm not very computer savvy by any means. lol
Vashthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashthestampede View Post
It came out easily and the new one popped in easily. I did snap the head off the screw that holds the little cover on, but I didnt mention that cause I'm sure it would matter. Other than that it seemed to seat just fine. Snapped in all the way, pushed down, and the clips swung in and held it.

I tried using this cable to see if anything comes up on this monitor, but with either the old memory or the new, still nothing. And now it's randomly shutting off on me. I tried hitting the FN and what looks like a monitor key (F8), and it just shut off.

See, I tired to save like $10 ******* dollars by getting the memory off ebay rather than Amazon, and now this **** happens. I assume there is such a thing as "bad" new memory? The package was sealed so it was new, but could it be bad?

This is only the 2nd time I've changed memory so please bear with me. I'm not very computer savvy by any means. lol
That's what confuses me. Even if it was "bad" memory, it shouldn't cause any irreversible damage. Why it's now not doing anything is beyond me. If it was a desktop and you had the post beep codes, and lights on the motherboard it would be much simpler to troubleshoot. With a laptop you don't typically have any of those nice to have diagnosis tools. My experience with laptops anyway is very limited.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 224
Total Cats: 0
Default

You could be a victim of "ESD"

Did you ground yourself properly before inserting the RAM?

Were you wearing socks and shoes, or just socks, when you did the RAM upgrade?

Were you standing on carpet, hardwood, tile, or a rubber mat?

Were you wearing any nylon clothing?

Had you been playing with balloons prior?
miatamike is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buzzing from driver side of engine bay? (MS3 install) nick470 MEGAsquirt 7 06-16-2017 02:53 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $50 lsc224 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 10:17 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 AM.