Miata bolts. Random missing parts. - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 602
Total Cats: 0
Default Miata bolts. Random missing parts.

So while cleaning more under the engine yesterday I found that there should be, I think, 18 bolts holding the oil pan on? I'm missing 6.

Cleaning more I find I'm missing 2 bolts that hold the tranny on.

Before leaving I wanted to take the valve cover off and paint it this week, upon removal I find I'm missing BOTH bolts that hold the coil pack bracket on the valve cover. Oh, and looking through the pics of everyone's custom valve covers here, I notice my valve cover bolts are just rusty old bolts, not these chrome OEM mushroom cap bolts everyone has.

There are no miata's in my local junkyards, could someone let me know next time they're heading to one so I can try to get these oddities? (and maybe more that I find) Or should I just go to the hardware store and find some w/ the same threading. Will hardware stores have them?

I wish I kept the PO's number, so far I've found he lied about 4 mods he did to the car, fixed a ton of crap he messed up, and I keep finding more things he took off and never put back on.
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Junior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Baldwin Park, CA
Posts: 151
Total Cats: 6
Default

partsgroup.com

He'll get you everything you need.
ssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
N3v
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nashville/Knoxville, TN
Posts: 318
Total Cats: 1
Default

i remember offhandedly that rspeed has a nice set of hex bolts for the valve cover. i'd pick them up if i was in need of those bolts.
N3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
I wish I kept the PO's number, so far I've ... fixed a ton of crap he messed up, and I keep finding more things he took off and never put back on.
You got your car from the same guy I did?
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
So while cleaning more under the engine yesterday I found that there should be, I think, 18 bolts holding the oil pan on? I'm missing 6.

Cleaning more I find I'm missing 2 bolts that hold the tranny on.

Before leaving I wanted to take the valve cover off and paint it this week, upon removal I find I'm missing BOTH bolts that hold the coil pack bracket on the valve cover. Oh, and looking through the pics of everyone's custom valve covers here, I notice my valve cover bolts are just rusty old bolts, not these chrome OEM mushroom cap bolts everyone has.

There are no miata's in my local junkyards, could someone let me know next time they're heading to one so I can try to get these oddities? (and maybe more that I find) Or should I just go to the hardware store and find some w/ the same threading. Will hardware stores have them?

I wish I kept the PO's number, so far I've found he lied about 4 mods he did to the car, fixed a ton of crap he messed up, and I keep finding more things he took off and never put back on.
i have lots of extra VC bolts. Whats a fair price to you if I have a full set?

Can also throw in oil pan bolts if you want Anything else? I've got a miata junkyard in my garage lol.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

What I'd be most concerned with is why there are missing oil pan bolts? Missing bolts would kind of indicate that someone had the pan off the car. Why might have that been?
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
What I'd be most concerned with is why there are missing oil pan bolts? Missing bolts would kind of indicate that someone had the pan off the car. Why might have that been?
To fill it with sawdust, so you wouldn't hear the bottom end knocking?
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 602
Total Cats: 0
Default

Bought it and it wouldn't run anyway... lol

Guy said, I checked everything and I can't figure it out.

Yeah, took me forever and a day, but it ended up being that someone (probably the OTHER jackass PO before him) mixed up the fuel lines under the manifold. OMFG I wanted to eat shards of glass the day I found that.

So... yeah, I'm not even going to pull the pan and have a look. I've already had the car idling a few times and seems to have oil pressure since I found my oil drain hose on my turbo had a leak... pulled that off to find masking tape around the stainless hose connecting to the AN fitting.... to prevent the leak, I assume. SHOOT ME IN THE HEAD.

Wayne, PM'ing you back!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 73
Total Cats: 0
Default

Masking tape is used to prevent the stainless braid from fraying when you cut it. It's supposed to be removed though after the cut is made...
cyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 0
Default

In 96 Mazda got cheap and didn't put chrome valve cover bolts on. That's why you don't have them. You will also notice that the rear deck carpeting is different in your car then the 94-95's also. I have both a 95 and a 96 so I notice the differences.
ArtieParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieParty View Post
In 96 Mazda got cheap and didn't put chrome valve cover bolts on. That's why you don't have them. You will also notice that the rear deck carpeting is different in your car then the 94-95's also. I have both a 95 and a 96 so I notice the differences.
Oh ****, didn't even think about the fact that he has a 96. Are the VC bolts from my 91 going to fit his car?
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,125
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
Oh ****, didn't even think about the fact that he has a 96. Are the VC bolts from my 91 going to fit his car?
According to Finishline Performance, No. But I could be wrong here. But they list Valve cover bolts from 94-05.
ArtieParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 602
Total Cats: 0
Default

Artie, you may have just saved us a bunch of PITA. Wayne, do you have a later model NA to check the VC bolt/theading with? Or should I measure mine and get back with you?
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Artie, you may have just saved us a bunch of PITA. Wayne, do you have a later model NA to check the VC bolt/theading with? Or should I measure mine and get back with you?
Measure and get back to me. No access to a 1.8.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:12 AM   #15
Trackspeed Engineering
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 937
Total Cats: 10
Default

Lol, you guys are hillarious. The valve cover bolts will fit both 1.6 and 1.8, NA and NB.
crashnscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnscar View Post
Lol, you guys are hillarious. The valve cover bolts will fit both 1.6 and 1.8, NA and NB.
That may be the case, but I was also going to sell him an upper t-belt cover that i'm pretty sure isn't going to fit.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 602
Total Cats: 0
Default

Anyone know if the upper timing cover from a 1.6L will fit on a 1.8L?

I'm referring to the part on the front of the engine, below the valve cover that dresses up and hides the timing belt.
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #18
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3v View Post
i remember offhandedly that rspeed has a nice set of hex bolts for the valve cover. i'd pick them up if i was in need of those bolts.
he needs oil pan bolts....but hell hex bolts? I use a drill to take off all the valve cover bolts, id kill myself if I had to sit there with an allen wrench.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #19
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 602
Total Cats: 0
Default

They make socket base allen wrenches, but that's not the point.... I want those purrty chrome acorns. Wayne has them, but I need to know if his 1.6L timing cover will fit/bolt up to my 1.8L so I can get them together as a package deal.
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

1.6 valve cover will not fit on a 1.8 engine.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 PM.