NC owners slay me - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #41
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 790
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Agreed: some area's are filled with ricers. Well, I can say I take pride in the fact that every single subaru ive tuned ran the stocker, or I made them put one on or I wouldnt tune it lol...

It really depends on whether the subaru's are part of a club/group or just random 16yo ricers....Because those guys find the loudest stupidest **** and rock it with pride.......the real enthusiasts are the ones driving around sounding/looking stock or very mild/quiet, with 400+whp on tap.....
I'd laugh my *** off if I showed up to a "tuner" 's place and he told me to put a stock BOV back on.

Who gives a **** if you have a loud BOV? If you are running MAP, it doesn't matter. It's not like the 3" exhaust is going to be that stealthy anyways.
reddroptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #42
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
So you guys leave your convertible top car locked with your gun in it? Nice gift for whoever breaks in if you ask me.

I leave my doors unlocked for the same reason Apex stated. Id much rather replace a radio or a few CD's then to have to replace my top or a broken window.
my car is completly gutting inside and flat black, not people people will even think about brakeing in
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #43
jwx
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 78
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddroptop View Post
I'd laugh my *** off if I showed up to a "tuner" 's place and he told me to put a stock BOV back on.

Who gives a **** if you have a loud BOV? If you are running MAP, it doesn't matter. It's not like the 3" exhaust is going to be that stealthy anyways.
Thats the problem, Subarus are MAF based(majority at least). Anything but the stock or another recirculating BOV causes major stumble issues.
jwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #44
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

i drove i 2006 wrx with a greedy RS VTA and it drove perfectly fine.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #45
jwx
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 78
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantaylor View Post
i drove i 2006 wrx with a greedy RS VTA and it drove perfectly fine.

One out of a thousand for me then. I use to be a tech at a Subaru dealership that did performance work.

List of your mods?
jwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #46
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
bryantaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 1,720
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwx View Post
One out of a thousand for me then. I use to be a tech at a Subaru dealership that did performance work.

List of your mods?
wasn't my car, it was a repo . all that looks like was done was the BOV, and an intake. the BOV was tight enough to stay closed at idle, but still opened when it needed to. after driving it, i REALLY want a AWD car, but i was actually expecting it to be a little quicker. subi's are cool cars.
bryantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:37 AM   #47
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Eastern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

They will run "ok" with a proper VTA for a MAF car at idle/cruise since the valve stays closed, but guaranteed hella rich shifts. At least on my friends anyways.
ApexOnYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:50 AM   #48
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
Well, unlike all you folks that are stuck in the dark ages with your old NAs, there is a wonderful thing called "keyless entry" aka remote (proximity sensor on the NC's) and thus causing the keyhole to be nearly useless. Hell, go ahead and laugh, but if i could pick up something like that for under $10 i'd probably do it... i don't use mine.



My car is 13 years old... I have keyless entry and think buttplugs for the keyholes is ******* pointless. Kthanksbye.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #49
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddroptop View Post
I'd laugh my *** off if I showed up to a "tuner" 's place and he told me to put a stock BOV back on.

Who gives a **** if you have a loud BOV? If you are running MAP, it doesn't matter. It's not like the 3" exhaust is going to be that stealthy anyways.
Well its not like I tune 100's of them, but the ones I do I try to make them run as smooth and safe as possible. Someone wants to run mods that I dont like (atmospheric bov, cheap intake, other pointless mods), simply can go to one of very many other "tuners" as you call it. And wrx's have a maf based system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwx View Post
Thats the problem, Subarus are MAF based(majority at least). Anything but the stock or another recirculating BOV causes major stumble issues.
agreed....I wouldnt say major, some cars run borderline ok, but Ive seen LOTS of cars run like **** after installing the stupid atmospheric bov so I know what you mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexOnYou View Post
They will run "ok" with a proper VTA for a MAF car at idle/cruise since the valve stays closed, but guaranteed hella rich shifts. At least on my friends anyways.
Exactly. Loud as ****, absolutely NO power to gain from it, back firing due to short burts of running very rich, yadda yadda yadda.....in other words: bullshit mod
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #50
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwx View Post
One out of a thousand for me then. I use to be a tech at a Subaru dealership that did performance work.

List of your mods?
My old roomie put 75,000 miles on a 2004 WRX with a TurboXS RFL VTA. Car had CAI, up pipe, a really shitty looking HKS downpipe, full HKS exhaust and a tune. That car would routinely stomp mud holes in mid 12 second cars without even launching on them. Running VTA did not even seem to affect spool and about the only problem he ever had was once ever 50 or 100 shifts you'd get a "pop" and small ball of fire from the exhaust.

Running a Greddy Type-S in VTA On my Mazdaspeed6 hardly affects anything negatively. It doesn't spool quite as fast after a shift but my induction and 90% of my exhaust is bone stock.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #51
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
My old roomie put 75,000 miles on a 2004 WRX with a TurboXS RFL VTA. Car had CAI, up pipe, a really shitty looking HKS downpipe, full HKS exhaust and a tune. That car would routinely stomp mud holes in mid 12 second cars without even launching on them. Running VTA did not even seem to affect spool and about the only problem he ever had was once ever 50 or 100 shifts you'd get a "pop" and small ball of fire from the exhaust.

Running a Greddy Type-S in VTA On my Mazdaspeed6 hardly affects anything negatively. It doesn't spool quite as fast after a shift but my induction and 90% of my exhaust is bone stock.
No offense, but half the mods you listed are completely useless on that car. Uppipe and hks exhaust are somewhat ok, but cai adds nothing, bov adds nothing in fact takes away power, and hks downpipe is a complete worthless piece of crap. It is designed just like the stock one, no bellmouth therefore barely any gains from it. Not saying his car was slow, but a 2.0L wrx with those mods will not run 12's unless he had alot of other stuff done. That car is good for mid to low 13's at best.
But hey, I not trying to argue with you, just sharing my .02
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
Odd Steering issue interestedofold Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 09-29-2015 02:42 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.