Picking a Handgun... - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #21
Miotta FTW!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,293
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusha View Post
They put your life in your small, incompetent, shaking hands.
Closely watched, I seem to remember everything being fairly measured/regulated.

I remember doing pretty well with on the range also
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
I'm in the burbs thankfully. Only restrictions are AOW/Class 3 stuff. I don't live in a town that has arbitrary magazine capacities either.

3day wait... have a gun owner identification card... etc... but can buy most things.
That blows. In VA you can turn 21, walk into a "Gun Shop" pick out what you want, run an instant background check and walk out with your new friend in a matter of minutes.
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
Miotta FTW!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,293
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPLAFIN View Post
I hate to be that guy that's pressing the .45 and 1911 thing so much, but have you handled a nice 1911 style gun yet? They really can't be beat for balance and overall feel in my book. Plastic guns will never win me over (Glock I'm looking at you)
The only all metal pistol I've shot was an old small Beretta.

Closest I've gotten to a 1911 frame is holding a Ruger 22/45 that has the 1911 "styled/format" handle. I probably should try one, I think this round of buying though the plastic guns will do. I'm not a big guy... and lighter/easier to handle has its merits. Yes, I know the weight can help with kickback and lighter guns kick more. The M&P though has what felt like a really low amount of anything.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
Plaxico Burress agrees.



Seriously, buy a decent holster.
I hope we'll have open carry here soon. I'm going to walk around with my 6" S&W Model 29 on my belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
Closely watched, I seem to remember everything being fairly measured/regulated.

I remember doing pretty well with on the range also
I bet those scout leaders watched you boys closely while you bent over the table and tugged on the reloading machine's arm.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #25
Miotta FTW!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,293
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPLAFIN View Post
That blows. In VA you can turn 21, walk into a "Gun Shop" pick out what you want, run an instant background check and walk out with your new friend in a matter of minutes.
Yah, but I'm not a felon... so card wasn't an issue. Making trips to stores that aren't in my town though... blah.

0 legal ability to get silencers for my .22 though for basically silent outdoor range time. Which would be nice.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #26
Miotta FTW!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,293
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusha View Post
I bet those scout leaders watched you boys closely while you bent over the table and tugged on the reloading machine's arm.
Ha Ha. I still stand by what I learned in the Scouts, so back to topic.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPLAFIN View Post
.45 or go home.

I bought a Springfield sub-compact 1911 in .45 while I was home on leave in Dec. (3" barrel) and I'm a 130 lbs on a good day and can shoot her all day long without crying about it, man-up and get a real gun.

/******* mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
The only all metal pistol I've shot was an old small Beretta.

Closest I've gotten to a 1911 frame is holding a Ruger 22/45 that has the 1911 "styled/format" handle. I probably should try one, I think this round of buying though the plastic guns will do. I'm not a big guy... and lighter/easier to handle has its merits. Yes, I know the weight can help with kickback and lighter guns kick more. The M&P though has what felt like a really low amount of anything.
Your argument is invalid, lol. I get what you're saying though, get what you're comfortable with and you'll be happy, that's really all you can ask for. There's no such thing as a "wrong" gun to buy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusha View Post
I hope we'll have open carry here soon. I'm going to walk around with my 6" S&W Model 29 on my belt.
VA rules again. Opencarry.org has VA listed as the "friendliest open carry state" from a legal standpoint, you still catch a lot of shitty looks from people, have to do a lot of explaining, and have to deal with people calling the police on a "crazy guy with a gun" on occasion.
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #28
Miotta FTW!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,293
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPLAFIN View Post
Your argument is invalid, lol. I get what you're saying though, get what you're comfortable with and you'll be happy, that's really all you can ask for. There's no such thing as a "wrong" gun to buy.
Well dammit! But yah, I think with this model line and others equivalent to it... I can't really get a bad one.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #29
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

I don't get the attraction for open carry in an urban or suburban situation. I don't want the stares, I don't want LEO attention, I don't want to hassle with security holsters, I don't want people to know I have a gun until I am forced to draw it.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Miotta FTW!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,293
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
I don't get the attraction for open carry in an urban or suburban situation. I don't want the stares, I don't want LEO attention, I don't want to hassle with security holsters, I don't want people to know I have a gun until I am forced to draw it.
Not everyone has the ability to have CCW. Sometimes it also becomes a political statement.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #31
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

I'll carry a sign if I want to make a political statement.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Tampa, FL
Posts: 54
Total Cats: 0
Default

You do have to admit that of any public gathering you've ever been at, people are the most courteous, pleasant, respectful and quiet at gun shows
EasyEJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #33
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

If someone is coming into my house, I grab the sawed-off pistol Moss 500, not the 9mm SW. I picked the 9mm for the affordable ammo.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #34
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default


want
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #35
Miotta FTW!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,293
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
If someone is coming into my house, I grab the sawed-off pistol Moss 500, not the 9mm SW. I picked the 9mm for the affordable ammo.
Buckshot or slugs?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #36
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitime View Post
00 Buck, low-recoil for me.

Love Box O Truth.

Quote:
4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #37
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry WV
Posts: 1,521
Total Cats: 20
Default

I have a S&W M&P 40 cal. and I love it. It shoots great feels great has enough capacity to kill or greatly damage just about anything and it looks great too. The only down fall of the M&P witch I am trying to fix right now is it does not have a safety I bought mine when they very first came out for $600 but now safety was available. This is fine in my case where I have no kids and no one goes in my room but I never leave it fully loaded because it worries me. The new ones have the option for the safety and IMO get it. It is worth the piece of mind that its locked. Buy an M&P by far one of the best bang for your buck guns around. I have put nearly 2000 rounds threw mine without one jam or hick up. I also clean it every time I shoot it but it has been really good with no major problems other than no safety.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #38
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
This is fine in my case where I have no kids and no one goes in my room
What kid would be able to pull the trigger but not be able to flip the safety to the fire position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
but I never leave it fully loaded because it worries me.
What does this mean? Empty chamber? Empty chamber and no mag?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #39
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

00buck. I don't plan on seeing my intruder in court.

I also keep a Moss 509 for clays.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #40
Miotta FTW!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (24)
 
Splitime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,293
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I have a S&W M&P 40 cal. and I love it. It shoots great feels great has enough capacity to kill or greatly damage just about anything and it looks great too. The only down fall of the M&P witch I am trying to fix right now is it does not have a safety I bought mine when they very first came out for $600 but now safety was available. This is fine in my case where I have no kids and no one goes in my room but I never leave it fully loaded because it worries me. The new ones have the option for the safety and IMO get it. It is worth the piece of mind that its locked. Buy an M&P by far one of the best bang for your buck guns around. I have put nearly 2000 rounds threw mine without one jam or hick up. I also clean it every time I shoot it but it has been really good with no major problems other than no safety.
Um... don't put a round in the chamber when you store it? And as said before me... Safetys are not to protect children I will NOT be buying one with the safety, the built in trigger safety is fine.
Splitime is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Momo Supercup seat jpreston Miata parts for sale/trade 2 05-17-2016 01:51 AM
SimExperience fiberglass race seat in Chicago area chris101 Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-09-2015 10:08 AM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 AM.