Student Loan Advise Needed!!!! Advice is spelled with a C. - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
As a response to everyone telling pat to "get a job":

If he is living in a college town like I am, good luck. I've been trying to find part time work for 7 months and have failed miserably...same with nearly all my friends.

Its next to impossible to get a job in a college town when the economy is rockin, its laughable at this point.

Its really about who you know and where you look. I had two until a couple of months ago, and just dropped the last one so I can student teach. Anything is better than nothing, a lot of people wont make that sacrifice though.
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
This pretty much sums it up. There's a flood of people begging for minimum wage jobs right now. And to say the least, I'm not used to making minimum wage. I've had shitty jobs before that paid nothing. I'd like to not go back to that. I was more or less looking for advice on how to get a student loan to help pay for college. I'm gonna keep looking around and talk to a few people. Finding a credit worthy cosigner is what I need to do. Gonna talk to my Mom tonight and if she says no, I'll ask my Dad about talking to my grandparents cosigning. They've got plenty of credit and might be willing actually. As for grant stuff, I've exhausted all that.
If minimum wage jobs are availible but for some reason you think you are above that, maybe that's why you can't get a co-signer. If you really want to finish school suck it up and do what's necessary, if thaat means a **** job for minimum wage, so be it.
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #23
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msydnor View Post
If minimum wage jobs are availible but for some reason you think you are above that, maybe that's why you can't get a co-signer. If you really want to finish school suck it up and do what's necessary, if thaat means a **** job for minimum wage, so be it.
My Dad won't cosign because he wants me to do this on my own. I want to do this on my own and I would much rather not have anyone holding my hand. If I can find a loan without a cosigner, I'll take it. If not, I'll find a cosigner or I'll find a job.

I work in the summers doing construction and remodeling, I have my own small fence building thing on the side, I work on cars, and a few other small things as well. I use to work at a lawn-mower shop for 5 bucks an hour minus taxes back in 9th grade. Did that for a year. I worked construction for 6 dollars an hour forever, then finally 7, 7.50, 8, 10, 12, and I'm finally up to 15 since my junior year in HS. I've been paying taxes since the 5th grade, so don't think I'm afraid of a job. I like to work smart.

I just normally waste half of it on my miata, the rest in boats, gas, road trips, etc. I probably save 2.5K a year for college money directly. I could save a lot more, but then I wouldn't be driving a turbo miata. Oh well. I was more or less looking for info on a student loan (yeah, as if that's not obvious), not how to get a job. I know how to do that.

Zabac-
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
My Dad won't cosign because he wants me to do this on my own. I want to do this on my own and I would much rather not have anyone holding my hand. If I can find a loan without a cosigner, I'll take it. If not, I'll find a cosigner or I'll find a job.

I work in the summers doing construction and remodeling, I have my own small fence building thing on the side, I work on cars, and a few other small things as well. I use to work at a lawn-mower shop for 5 bucks an hour minus taxes back in 9th grade. Did that for a year. I worked construction for 6 dollars an hour forever, then finally 7, 7.50, 8, 10, 12, and I'm finally up to 15 since my junior year in HS. I've been paying taxes since the 5th grade, so don't think I'm afraid of a job. I like to work smart.

I just normally waste half of it on my miata, the rest in boats, gas, road trips, etc. I probably save 2.5K a year for college money directly. I could save a lot more, but then I wouldn't be driving a turbo miata. Oh well. I was more or less looking for info on a student loan (yeah, as if that's not obvious), not how to get a job. I know how to do that.

Zabac-
I wasn't trying to offend you. But being only $2K away, seems from what you just posted you can get to where you need to be with or without a loan if you make a few sacrifices. FYI, 5th graders don't pay taxes in this country.
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

I can't give any student loan advice, I've never had to get one. But if you can't get work then you better start making some *** kissing phone calls to family to get them to cosign.


What's wrong with the "rent a room out of your house" option?
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

*** kissing phone calls will come tonight. For sure.

msydnor- I've paid taxes since the 5th grade. It's called income tax. If you don't believe me, fine.

I'd rather live here alone. This is a tiny house and it's not in the best of shape. It would need a good bit of work to finish the other bedroom to rent it.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

I know how you feel about a min wage job. I made $45/hr from march to september this year, but I didn't save a penny of it for college. ****, I didn't even save enough to pay for taxes...

I'd take a min wage job right now just to have some extra playin monies. Also, i'd take what I can get at this point considering i'm not certain that i'll be able to find a job this summer in my profession.

You're gonna have to find a cosigner. I have credit and couldn't get a loan by myself. I tried getting many people to cosign with me that had rockin credit still to no avail. Have you tried directly through the bank you have a checking/savings acct with? Wells fargo said I was just not quite there yet but perhaps I would be next year.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #28
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

I've had a checking account with my local credit union since the 6th grade. Had that account for 10 years. I've never taken out a loan with them, but I will over spring break for sure just to start building some credit. I need to get a credit card too aparently and start using it a bit.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #29
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Get a rewards or cashback card and buy gas with it or something similar so that you use it each month yet you know you will pay it off.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
I've had a checking account with my local credit union since the 6th grade. Had that account for 10 years. I've never taken out a loan with them, but I will over spring break for sure just to start building some credit. I need to get a credit card too aparently and start using it a bit.
Yes, you need a CC to get started. Credit unions are pretty trusting and will usually give you one if you apply for it. Most banks will not, however. You will likely need to do a secured card (i had to, no regrets).

Seriously ask your CU about student loans. I'm sure they have them and I bet you could swing one through them.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #31
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Pat, do you qualify for the college tax credit? Part of the stimulus package will increase it considerably and it IS tax season...
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, TX yall
Posts: 849
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msydnor View Post
Join the Army, they will pay off your loans and give you money to finish.
+1, or any of the reserve branches. Or look into the ROTC programs on campus. Something to consider compared to a Private Student loan, which all suck.

Does your school have emergency tuition loans?

Chris
Miatamaniac92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #33
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 32
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
I need to get a credit card too aparently and start using it a bit.
The irony is if you don't use a credit card and pay for everything in cash, you don't build credit, and when you need to borrow money can't get a freaking loan, even though you've been fiscally responsible your whole life.
UW Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Name:  n1246887917_30313203_8599.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  37.6 KB
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #35
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Mitch View Post
The irony is if you don't use a credit card and pay for everything in cash, you don't build credit, and when you need to borrow money can't get a freaking loan, even though you've been fiscally responsible your whole life.
oddly enough, i know people who have bought houses without having credit cards first. and this is not in po-dunk middle america, this is in silicon valley. i have no idea how they do it.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
oddly enough, i know people who have bought houses without having credit cards first. and this is not in po-dunk middle america, this is in silicon valley. i have no idea how they do it.
Equity?
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #37
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Grammar in title fail.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #38
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Grammar in title fail.

Scott, you're absolutely right but you're opening yourself to some corrections
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #39
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,378
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
As a response to everyone telling pat to "get a job":

If he is living in a college town like I am, good luck. I've been trying to find part time work for 7 months and have failed miserably...same with nearly all my friends.

Its next to impossible to get a job in a college town when the economy is rockin, its laughable at this point.
Amen. Its devastating enough when the economy is good to find a college job, let alone during the worst economic situation since the Great Depression.
naarleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

Join the Navy... free **** to all my friends.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
In need of base map for stock 1997 brandonbkd MEGAsquirt 0 09-29-2015 12:52 AM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.