Stupid Questions - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Hear me Meow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,994
Total Cats: 13
Default Stupid Questions

Another thread got me thinking

What is the stupidest, or least informed question you have been asked about your turbo either by a stupid ricer or by somebody who just doesn't know better?

I have been asked "what RPM my blow off kicks in" before by somebody who is somewhere between ricer and sadly doesn't know better. I just didn't know how to answer that.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MD/DE/PA
Posts: 337
Total Cats: 0
Default

Not turbo related, but I saw a Honda guy asking what a "long block" and "short block" were. He'd been on the site for over two years and had a nice big block of "reputation" squares.
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 602
Total Cats: 0
Default

I showed my friend the Miata a few weeks ago and he very anxiously said, "TWIN TURBO!?" and wanted to know why one of my turbos was all rusty and the other was nice silver. I had to explain to him that it was all one turbo; one side exhaust, one side intake.
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

I had a kid ask me if I had a blowoff valve. He knew it was a turbo car so I was a little confused. I said, it's a turbo car so of course it has a blow off valve. His buddy said, "well, you could have a recirc" I just drove off rather than try explain be it VTA or recirc, it's still a BOV.
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

I can't recall any dipshit ricer questions offhand, but I know about 1/2 dozen guys who drive BMW's and think they know everything about cars. I got into a discussion with a buddy with an '02 M5 about crank horsepower vs. wheel horsepower, and power to weight ratio... you could see his heart visibly break when I explained driveline loss and that only about 340 of his ponies actually counted.

Also:
"Dude, I know for a fact that my M5 weighs 5600lbs, and it does 155 before the engine shuts off".

He had read the GVWR sticker on the door and "knew for a fact" that the engine shut off and you had to turn the key to start it again if you accidentally hit 155.

I find this is very typical of BMW owners who have a Motor Trend subscription.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
I can't recall any dipshit ricer questions offhand, but I know about 1/2 dozen guys who drive BMW's and think they know everything about cars. I got into a discussion with a buddy with an '02 M5 about crank horsepower vs. wheel horsepower, and power to weight ratio... you could see his heart visibly break when I explained driveline loss and that only about 340 of his ponies actually counted.

Also:
"Dude, I know for a fact that my M5 weighs 5600lbs, and it does 155 before the engine shuts off".

He had read the GVWR sticker on the door and "knew for a fact" that the engine shut off and you had to turn the key to start it again if you accidentally hit 155.

I find this is very typical of BMW owners who have a Motor Trend subscription.

He thought the car actually shuts off????
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msydnor View Post
I had a kid ask me if I had a blowoff valve. He knew it was a turbo car so I was a little confused. I said, it's a turbo car so of course it has a blow off valve. His buddy said, "well, you could have a recirc" I just drove off rather than try explain be it VTA or recirc, it's still a BOV.
I'm a little confused here. a turbo car can run just fine without any kind of blowoff valve. many factory turbo cars dont even come with them.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
Hear me Meow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,994
Total Cats: 13
Default

I thought all the factory ones just had recirc units... Learn something new every day!
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 828
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
I'm a little confused here. a turbo car can run just fine without any kind of blowoff valve. many factory turbo cars dont even come with them.

He knew I had one because he heard it. He thought a VTA BOV was a BOV, i.e you can here it making noise, and a recirc was someting different.
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 446
Total Cats: 1
Default

Haven't had any stupid questions toward my cars. Have had lots of stupid questions at work though. There are lots of people out there that should not be allowed to know where there hood release is.

I had a customer buy a can of R12 freon (when it was legal to sell). We watch him open his hood, look around, and pull a cap off. He comes in a minute later and asks for a can opener so he can open the R12 and pour it into the reservoir!

Best statement I have heard by a customer so far "Can you help me? I tried to work on my own truck and now it's REALLY effed up"
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

most questions directed towards me are about how stupid I am...such classics like:

"why did your driveshaft just fall off?"

"did you know your manifold is cracked?"

"why is your car smoking?"
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msydnor View Post
I had a kid ask me if I had a blowoff valve. He knew it was a turbo car so I was a little confused. I said, it's a turbo car so of course it has a blow off valve. His buddy said, "well, you could have a recirc" I just drove off rather than try explain be it VTA or recirc, it's still a BOV.
Have a similar story after we got the Supercharger setup installed on my friends car. Cruising one night some stupid ricer in a rustbucket pile of trash Honda or some sorts attempted to race us. After we blew his ****** doors off he seemed pretty surprised. Told us our car wasn't too bad, but we should think about boosting it.. After I told him, "It is" he looked shocked! "It IS?! I didn't hear a blowoff valve!?!?" At that point we just left him in our dust again, with our faces planted in our hands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
He had read the GVWR sticker on the door and "knew for a fact" that the engine shut off and you had to turn the key to start it again if you accidentally hit 155.

I find this is very typical of BMW owners who have a Motor Trend subscription.
I find it pretty amusing how many people read the GVWR stickers and have no ******* clue what they mean.. They're all completely convinced thats the curb weight of the car! Speaking of idiot BMW owners.. Yeah, theres one that lives 2 blocks away from me with some crappy *** junker E30 318 who thinks its the fastest ***** on 4 wheels. He'll pull up to the top of the street and take off at WOT through 1st and 2nd gear, then pull into his driveway. I just take comfort in knowing those things are monumental turds, and his ***** broke every other week anyway.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Newbsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,304
Total Cats: 2
Default

Been asked where the button is for the turbo... Button still has not been found :(
Newbsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
Been asked where the button is for the turbo... Button still has not been found :(
You should install one. Big red one like the S2000 start button.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
Been asked where the button is for the turbo... Button still has not been found :(
Its right there!!

elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: where most people are Utarded
Posts: 1,323
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Have a similar story after we got the Supercharger setup installed on my friends car. Cruising one night some stupid ricer in a rustbucket pile of trash Honda or some sorts attempted to race us. After we blew his ****** doors off he seemed pretty surprised. Told us our car wasn't too bad, but we should think about boosting it.. After I told him, "It is" he looked shocked! "It IS?! I didn't hear a blowoff valve!?!?" At that point we just left him in our dust again, with our faces planted in our hands...



I find it pretty amusing how many people read the GVWR stickers and have no ******* clue what they mean.. They're all completely convinced thats the curb weight of the car! Speaking of idiot BMW owners.. Yeah, theres one that lives 2 blocks away from me with some crappy *** junker E30 318 who thinks its the fastest ***** on 4 wheels. He'll pull up to the top of the street and take off at WOT through 1st and 2nd gear, then pull into his driveway. I just take comfort in knowing those things are monumental turds, and his ***** broke every other week anyway.
At the opposite end of the spectrum I knew a guy that did a full e36 M3 swap into his 318ti and it was pretty insane.
zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

How could I forget this one! Best ever!



Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomin View Post
At the opposite end of the spectrum I knew a guy that did a full e36 M3 swap into his 318ti and it was pretty insane.
This dudes 17 and I don't think even has a job.. Kinda doubt that'll ever happen. Its more likely I'll have a turbo miata.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 462
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msydnor View Post
He knew I had one because he heard it. He thought a VTA BOV was a BOV, i.e you can here it making noise, and a recirc was someting different.
Many OEMs call them a bypass valve (BPV).
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

"What supercharger kit is that?" while looking at my BEGI s4 turbo system.
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball1 View Post
"What supercharger kit is that?" while looking at my BEGI s4 turbo system.
technically, it is a supercharger. a supercharger is anything that forces air into the engine. a turbocharger is just an exhaust driven supercharger.

and it's also way more awesome.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM
NA Seat Sliders and Seat Belt Receivers skipstr Miata parts for sale/trade 2 09-28-2015 11:53 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.